Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Grilled: Kevin James and Ray Romano...straight to DVD?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think these guys have amazing chemistry, and both are hilarious given the proper situation. "95 Miles to Go" made me a believer in Romano, and I've always found James funny. On top of that, the few times I've caught them on each others' shows, I thought they worked very well together. Furthermore, the plot sounds a bit typical but still full of potential. So why is this one going straight to DVD? Did the director fuck up, or what?

Anybody know anything about this one? This is the first I've heard of it.

-JP
Old 05-12-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might give this a rent. They're both hilarious IMO
Old 05-12-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was supposed to be pretty terrible. Another reason its probably going DTV is that its rated R. Their sitcoms are pretty family friendly. I doubt they could pull in decent numbers with an R rated comedy.
Old 05-12-06, 04:49 PM

I find them both pretty funny, so I will give it a try. If Larry the Cable Guy can get a movie into the theaters, I don't see why this one went DTV.
Old 05-12-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You don't?

The movies tagline is "You can't beat their meat".
Old 05-13-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm only taking a guess here, but it's probably going straight to video because it sucks.

= J
Old 05-14-06, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I'm only taking a guess here, but it's probably going straight to video because it sucks.

= J
If you could make another guess that actually attempts to be somewhat informative, that'd be just great.

To those of you questioning it's quality: I haven't even seen a trailer for the movie, so I'm certainly in no position to say that you're right or wrong. However, if you think quality is a deciding factor in what movie gets a wide release and what doesn't, you haven't been paying attention to the release schedules over the past few years. It's not about quality, it's about returns. Kevin James and Ray Romano are household faces and names who, given the right marketing, could draw people to the theaters. There has to be a reason for the straight-to-DVD release beyond the film's quality.

-JP
Old 05-14-06, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
I'm sure it'll rival the quality of "Welcome to Mooseport".
Which got a theatrical release, along with the likes of Big Momma's House 2 and European Gigolo. So, again...what in the hell makes you think that the quality of a film is a deciding factor in what gets released to theaters and what doesn't? Plenty of shitty films are released to theaters every month. It's not about how good the movie is, it's about how marketable it is...and this one is certainly marketable.

-JP
Old 05-14-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm looking forward to renting this when it comes out.
Old 05-15-06, 05:41 AM

Calm down tiger, it's gonna be ok.
I love how some people, anytime somebody takes issue with their statement, jump to, "christ, fucking calm down dude." It makes me chuckle. People always feel the need to jump on the defensive, as if a decisive opposition to their bullshit opinions is nothing more than somebody's blatant overreaction.

As for your question...I never said that I thought it was a deciding factor.
Ah, so your "it'll suck balls, hard" comments weren't even in response to the question at hand, and were nothing more than threadcraps. Good to know.

I think studios know the difference between a shitty movie that will make money, and a shitty movie that will bomb.
They could've fooled me.

Anyway, there's probably a lot of behind the scenes stuff that we don't know about. The studio isn't going to release a press release saying "GRILLED IS GOING DIRECT TO VIDEO BECAUSE THE TEST SCREENINGS WENT HORRIBLY".
...yes, which is why I posted asking if anybody had heard anything that I hadn't. Welcome to the thread, let me show you around.

-JP

Edit: typos

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 05-15-06 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-15-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This two-year-old thread at another forum suggests to me the level of suck this movie has to offer. Tell me that doesn't sound painful to sit through.
Old 05-15-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This does sound pretty bad ... but,

The studios have been pushing towards Direct To Video. We are going to see more and more DTV as studios seek to maximize revenues. The cost of producing and distributing films in the wake of declining theater audiences, is forcing the studios to look elsewhere.
Old 05-15-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
This puts Romano & James on the same playing field as Wesley Snipes
Old 05-15-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure it'll rival the quality of "Welcome to Mooseport".
I always thought Mooseport gets a bad rap. It's not oscar caliber or anything, but entertaining I thought.