DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Help me with specific "college" movie recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/465015-help-me-specific-college-movie-recommendations.html)

The Bus 05-10-06 07:59 PM

Help me with specific "college" movie recommendations

A friend of a friend is showing a movie about "college" to her exiting high-school students. We don't want a comedy (nix Animal House, PCU, Back to School, Old School), a horror movie or anything shocking or inappropriate or, worst of all, a sports movie.

So, ideas?

I thought of Wonder Boys but that's about the professor (so is Mona Lisa Smile which was her suggestion).

So then I said, just show some episodes of Undeclared. But outside of laughs, screams, or touchdowns, is there a "Regular" college film?

TomOpus 05-10-06 08:29 PM

The Paper Chase was the first movie I thought of but it's specific to law school.

Brain Stew 05-10-06 08:54 PM

Good Will Hunting
Higher Learning

These movies are good, but push the button a little bit. I'd recommend a comedy like Real Genius. I don't see why you wouldn't want to show one since most of college is a joke.

marty888 05-10-06 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
A friend of a friend is showing a movie about "college" to her exiting high-school students...... But outside of laughs, screams, or touchdowns, is there a "Regular" college film?

If you eliminate all the aspects of college that you've mentioned, what are you left with? A movie about Bio 101 lectures, or a rousing movie about reading Plato? "Regular" college life is not inherently dramatic, and so unlikely to be the basis for a movie.

Nesbit 05-10-06 10:08 PM

Revenge of the Nerds 2. No laughs there.

Cellar Door 05-10-06 10:26 PM

I heartily second Real Genius.

Others off the top of my head:

How I Got Into College is pretty fun, from what I remember. Perfect for high school seniors.

The Absent-Minded Professor (as well as the Nutty Professor movies) is set in college.

Reality Bites is about students transitioning from college to the real world.

I enjoyed Oxford Blues as a kid, but it might suck if I watched it now.

Mondo Kane 05-10-06 10:51 PM

The Way We Were

:violin:

valkyrie 05-10-06 11:07 PM

"With Honors" is a favorite, though it's hardly the 'typical' college experience.

Most tend to be about someone unique...A Beautiful Mind (and the like)

Matthew Chmiel 05-10-06 11:35 PM

How I Got Into College would be the best choice. Granted, it may be a comedy, but it nails perfectly the anxiety high school students face when heading off to college. Sure it's a kooky flick and it's nowhere near good as Holland's Better Off Dead, but at least it ain't like One Crazy Summer.

FiveO 05-11-06 06:37 AM

Threesome

LiquidSky 05-11-06 07:18 AM

I would go with "How I Got into College"

exharrison 05-11-06 10:01 AM

PCU will show you all the nutjobs that you run into at college. Just a little over the top.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 05-11-06 10:22 AM

Dead Man On Campus