Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I Am Legend Coming Summer 2007 (Will Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I Am Legend Coming Summer 2007 (Will Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Friday's Entertainment Weekly article.
Christ.

Who should they get to write a flick about soulless creatures that suck the life out of you and refuse to die? Why, AKIVA GODDAMN GOLDSMAN, of course.

Originally Posted by EW.com
Most Delayed Movie Ever?

''I Am Legend'' will finally be made -- Mulled over for a decade, the sci-fi movie is now set to star Will Smith

by Vanessa Juarez

Life long ago dissipated into a grim Groundhog Day for folks involved in Warner Bros.' adaptation of the classic sci-fi novel I Am Legend. Over the last decade, at least five different director-producer-writer-star combos have been attached to the project, making Legend one of the most delayed films in history. But with a new director (Constantine's Francis Lawrence) and star (Will Smith), and an actual release date, the long fanboy nightmare seems to finally be ending.

So what took so long? The story starts in 1997, when Mark Protosevich (The Cell) penned an adaptation of Richard Matheson's book about a man's struggle in vampire-infested, postapocalyptic Los Angeles. ''I felt passionately about [it],'' says Protosevich, who was hired four times to write the project. ''Unfortunately, I'm not involved anymore.''

Protosevich started out with Ridley Scott as director and Arnold Schwarzenegger the star. ''Ridley brought in a [new] writer and took the project sideways,'' says an insider. ''It was not a good draft. It was actually [worth] throwing away.'' (Scott disagrees, saying the claim is inaccurate.) The movie sputtered along regardless: Rob Bowman (The X-Files) replaced Scott, and Schwarzenegger went from starring to producing, while the budget ballooned to $108 million. In 2002, Will Smith entered talks to star, with director Michael Bay said to be involved, but WB president Alan Horn ''read it and hated it,'' according to sources. Shelved.

If Horn disapproved, he's clearly changed his mind. About a year and a half ago, Oscar-winning scribe Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind) began reworking the long-dormant project for a fall 2007 release. Now the creatures are more generic monsters than bloodsuckers, and the action takes place in New York. The locale switch was made because ''L.A. at two in the afternoon can look deserted,'' explains Goldsman. ''But a New York without human life is a pretty striking environment.'' Actually, riding the subway free of mortals sounds pretty relaxing. Can we be extras?
Akiva Goldsman. I was also hearing John Logan. Because, as we know, there are only five or six writers in Hollywood and they all take turns.

(Rubs eyes with thumb and forefinger, brow furrowed)
I don't mind the New York placement - after all, in the book Neville is in a suburb anyway, and contemplates getting himself a suite in the city instead of his little fortified house.

As for taking out the vampires... that's just nuts, right up there with turning Arabs into Neo-nazis. I'm not saying it couldn't work in the flick, but it tends to remove a very big part of what the book had - Neville quotes the novel Dracula to himself, saying that "the vampire's strength is that no-one believes in him". Vampires overran the world partly because no-one would believe that actual vampires could exist, and that their loved ones might just be... really, really sick. After all, vampires are soulless, supernatural creatures that kill indiscriminately and cannot be stopped by conventional means... the stuff of ***L-E-G-E-N-D***...
Old 06-30-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, now I'm really interested...

http://www.blackfilm.com/20060623/fe...gendnews.shtml
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15221

I AM LEGEND News
Rumor has it that Johnny Depp has joined the Will Smith vehicle

June 30, 2006

When Will Smith was cast as the lead in the long-awaited adapted film version of Richard Matheson's I AM LEGEND, it was probably the worst kept secret. After all, his name had been floating around the web for the longest time. Until certain outlets that folks feel are the bible of information put the word out to confirm our story, sources tell blackfilm.com that along with Smith, JOHNNY DEPP has been added to the cast. No telling which role Depp will play, but given his penchant for playing extraordinary weird-like characters, expect a juicy plum part, like the neighbor, now one of the living dead.

Set in Los Angeles after a biological war, the film centers on the sole healthy survivor, a man who finds himself in a battle against nocturnal mutants.

Based on the novel by Richard Matheson, the film will be written by Mark Protosevich. Constantine director Francis Lawrence will helm the film with David Heyman, Akiva Goldsman, Neal Moritz and Erwin Stoff serving as producers.

Matheson's book was adapted twice before. Vincent Price starred in "The Last Man on Earth" and Charlton Heston toplined "The Omega Man".

Shooting will begin in New York at the end of September. Warner Bros. will distribute the film.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 06-30-06 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 04:44 PM

Oh well, I was really interested - Johnny Depp Not in I Am Legend:
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...=397&Itemid=27

The IESB can confirm that the Phillip character is not in this script and that this movie will actually be closer to The Omega Man film than the original 1954 novel written by Richard Matheson.

Richardson and Braga in I Am Legend
http://www.blackfilm.com/20060915/fe...gendnews.shtml

Salli Richardson ("Eureka") has been cast as Ginny and Alice Braga (Lower City) as Anna in I Am Legend.
Old 09-20-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I am currently reading the book, and I can honestly say that the only way to do justice to it would be in the style of 28 Days Later and give somewhat of a pseudo-documentary look. Most of it is inner thoughts and philosophy, and little dialogue (at least at the point where I am now). This is a good sci-fi novel, but not all sci-fi needs a big budget to look good. I could easily see this as a low budget flick if they wanted to be faithful to the book's spirit and not out to make an action packed blockbuster.
Old 09-20-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
The IESB can confirm that the Phillip character is not in this script and that this movie will actually be closer to The Omega Man film than the original 1954 novel written by Richard Matheson.
I've read the book, but not seen The Omega Man. How do these differ? I am somewhat disheartened to hear this news, as I really enjoy the book.
Old 09-22-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Yaay! Another vampire movie.

Old 10-13-06, 04:35 PM

New photos from the set of Will Smith's I Am Legend have appeared at DVDRama.com.

http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?17100

Old 10-13-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
No offense but I'm getting a Zoolander vibe from that pic.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-13-06 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-26-07, 04:59 PM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...5bf8e90b207030

A 'Legend' in the makingThe real battle in getting a post-apocalyptic Will Smith blockbuster made in New York is with the paperwork -- and the elementsBy Joseph Steuer
April 24, 2007

New York. Nighttime. Post-apocalypse. As a life-warping illness devastates the American populace, survivors gather at a pier by the Brooklyn Bridge, desperate to be evacuated.

It is a central moment in Warner Bros. Pictures' "I Am Legend," the much-anticipated $150 million-plus sci-fi actioner starring Will Smith and directed by Francis Lawrence. But as impressive a nail-biter as this particular scene will surely be, its drama is rivaled by that of the process of mounting and shooting it on six successive nights in January.

"The physical scale of the Brooklyn Bridge scene was the most daunting," says location manager Paul Kramer, who began prepping back in July. "There were so many moving parts."

In addition to complying with the requirements of no fewer than 14 government agencies, producers had to bring in a crew of 250, plus 1,000 extras, including 160 members of the National Guard in full combat gear. They commandeered a flotilla of Coast Guard boats, grappled with hypothermia-inducing temperatures, coped with dozens of production-related injuries -- and nursed a frozen helicopter.

All this cost the studio at least $5 million, according to executive producer Michael Tadross -- six times that, if Internet reports are to be believed.

While four Department of Defense Humvees and three Stryker armored vehicles waited on shore, a 110-foot cutter and a 41-foot utility boat, two 25-foot Response Boat Small craft and nearly 30 crewmen circled frigid waters for six nights.

To handle the "evacuations," a Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter flew in with a crew of five, as did an Army-issue Black Hawk helicopter with four crew members. The dock on which these copters land in the film is actually a spud barge dressed up to look like a pier and floated in from Staten Island.

Then, to light the bridge as never before, crews worked weeks in advance, securing permission from the city's transportation department to dangle lights from catwalks and set up other lights on shores all over the waterfront. Scores of klieg lights were positioned to capture the 124-year-old landmark's every angle and curve -- from the Brooklyn side of the East River all the way to the South Street Seaport and into Manhattan. Even jaded New Yorkers, accustomed to seeing the bridge every night, commented on the vista.

The bridge scene is likely the most expensive shot in the city to date (in the completed film, it will serve as a flashback) in what the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting is calling the biggest movie to be filmed "start to finish" in New York. "Things are done in this film that have never been done before," Tadross says. "The hardest part of shooting this scene was its enormity and the logistics."

Creating such a tableau would be difficult in any large city, but accomplishing it in post-Sept. 11 New York seems nothing short of Sisyphean. The number of permits and permissions involved was staggering. "Just finding out who you needed the permits from and who needs to sign off was a job," Kramer says. "I needed to get permission from the (Economic Development Corp.), (the Department of Environmental Conservation), the Army Corps of Engineers, the Coast Guard, the New York City (Department of Transportation), the New York State DOT, the Department of Small Business Services, the FDNY, the NYPD Harbor Unit, the NYPD Aviation Unit, the (Federal Aviation Administration), the U.S. Army, the National Guard and the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting."

If that seems Byzantine in its web of red tape, there is a reason. According to John Battista, deputy commissioner of the MOFTB, the hoops are all about safety.

"The priority is the safety of the general public," he says. "We have to have communication with all agencies, from the federal to the state to the local. We were in constant contact with those involved. Ten years ago, if we needed to get something done, it took a quick phone call. We had no fears. But after 9/11, we have to be more cognizant of what's going on around us."

Permits weren't the only challenge. Because the barge was not a true helicopter-landing site, the FAA required test landings. The MOFTB wanted sound tests, and the fire department needed trucks on the shore -- just in case.

NYPD divers were on hand at all times, augmented by a team of eight additional
officers. The Coast Guard organized safety briefs for a possible water rescue and also
dispatched a member of its Vessel Traffic Service to ensure that filming did not impede maritime operations.

"It was surreal because we were acting out something so similar to a real evacuation," says Cmdr. Kevin Raimer of the Coast Guard's Motion Picture and Television Liaison Office. "It was fun to do a movie, but the reality would have been a lot less light-hearted. Also, some of the crew had worked in New York during 9/11, and it brought back memories."

Sept. 11, 2001 also was on the minds of those at the MOFTB, which was concerned that waterfront commotion might confuse New Yorkers. "We wanted to make sure (residents) really knew this was a movie shoot and not a terrorist attack or cause for concern," commissioner Katherine Oliver says.

There were other logistical issues, including handling and directing legions of extras and production assistants. "How do you feed 2,000 people?" Tadross asks.

Quelling their appetites seemed minor compared to keeping them warm during one of the winter's coldest snaps. High temperatures were in the low 20 degrees, say those on the set, but lows could hit 10 degrees -- and the wind off the water didn't help. Producers erected a "tent city" nearby, but that offered little comfort during shooting.

"We renamed the film 'I Am Frozen,'" extra and comedian Anne Biondich says. Ambulances were called to the set several times.

"There were problems with hypothermia," Lt. Anthony Chapman of the NYPD Movie/TV Unit confirms. "It was brutal out there." (Producers say a diabetic collapsed after moving from warm to cold, but they were unaware of other hypothermia cases.) At one point, it was so cold that the landing gear on the Dolphin helicopter malfunctioned. But just when conditions seemed at their worst, star Will Smith stepped out of his two-story trailer and warmed people up by rapping his 1991 hit, "Summertime": "Summer, summer, summertime/time to sit back and unwind ...."

"Legend" is due to be released in December.
Old 06-07-07, 05:42 PM

The trailer will debut in theaters this Friday with Ocean's Thirteen.
Old 06-07-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll be online tonight in HD
Old 06-07-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
It'll be online tonight in HD
Where will it be available to download?
Old 06-07-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/iamlegend/large.html
Old 06-07-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

in HD:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/iamlegend/hd/
Old 06-07-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you notice in the abandoned city, gas was selling at $6.63 a gallon when the city was evacuated (and the trailer says it's 5 years from now).

Looks like it could be interesting, i'm willing to give this film a chance.
Old 06-07-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does not feel like the right vibe at all in relation to the book.

Not that it cannot be good, but we might be better off not thinking of it as an adaption.
Old 06-07-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting teaser. It is different in tone than I thought it would be, and visually it doesn't look like it was from the director of Constantine. But it is just a teaser, and I love apocalyptic movies so I'll be seeing this one. Can't wait till we get a look at the "vampires".
Old 06-07-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some reason I always pictured this as more of a barren wasteland movie as opposed to a deserted city movie.
Old 06-07-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Does not feel like the right vibe at all in relation to the book.

Not that it cannot be good, but we might be better off not thinking of it as an adaption.
Agreed, it doesn't appear to have the book feeling at all. I'm willing to give it a shot though. It looks like they're trying their hardest to convey the isolation aspect of it. Hopefully they kept the inner dialogue and psychological battle Neville had during the novel, which was the most interesting part to me.
Old 06-07-07, 11:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hated the trailer. Loved the book. Like Will Smith. Hate Akiva Goldsman.
Old 06-08-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rizor
For some reason I always pictured this as more of a barren wasteland movie as opposed to a deserted city movie.
Yeah, its looking more and more Like Omega Man which IMO is not a good thing.

I always pictured the setting as an abandoned suburbia.
Old 06-08-07, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love me some post apocolypse!!!

I'm there. I like The Omega Man too, for the record.
Old 06-08-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Well, I like The Omega Man, and I like The Last Man on Earth, so for me this looks like a nice updating.

I've been wanting to see this re-made for a while, so to actually see the trailer is kind of nice. It looks good.
Old 06-08-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
As a huge fan of the book; they really need to change the name of this film. It looks like it has no resemblence to the original story; sans the last man thing. Ugh.
Old 06-08-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
A agree with starseed, I'd rather they used the name Omega Man since that's what they're remaking, but it still looks hot. I'll be in the theater for this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.