Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I Am Legend Coming Summer 2007 (Will Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I Am Legend Coming Summer 2007 (Will Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw it last night and thought it was really bad. Tons of cheeseball humor that wasn't the slightest bit funny. The CGI was horrible. I'm surprised they even used a real dog. I was just glad it ended so apruptly.
Old 12-15-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I was to use one word to describe this film, that word would be "bland".

I'm not sure people really want to see Will Smith as Robert Neville, a tortured soul with the weight of the world on his shoulders. I don't think he pulls off the role in the acting department, a role that seemed a little too underwritten given the gravity of his situation. I think I wanted to see a little more depth in the character, and it just doesn't quite find the right emotional beats as a foundation for the character, but I kind of blame that on the director, for not overcoming the screenplay.

I'm actually surprised that Neville survived as long as he did (up to the point that the film begins, as it would take eternal vigilance to keep safe in his environment.

The film opens up decently, but gets progressively worse as it loses steam, and dramatic heft. The 3rd act is pretty poorly written, like the writers had a word limit on the dialogue or something.

Oh, and then I find out Akiva Goldsman had a hand in producing this film, so most of the deficiencies of the film made more sense to me afterwards. I really need to learn not to see his films because he seldom is involved in films that appeal to my cinematic sensibilties.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 12-15-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Where did I say I hated it? I think I pretty clearly said I thought the movie on its own merits was at a minimum "okay," and I acknowledged there were good and excellent parts.

"Not exactly like the book" is fine, to be expected, and usually a good thing. This isn't even remotely like the book... if you had changed the main character's name and not called it "I Am Legend", I'm sure a lot of people who read the book wouldn't have even realized that this was an adaptation.

The fact is that when you make a movie that purports to be an adaptation, especially when you re-use the book's name, you're inviting comparisons between the source work and the new version. If I watch a movie adaptation of a book I've never read about or don't care about (a la Golden Compass), I have no problem just seeing the movie for its own merits, because I don't enter into it with any expectations. That's not the same when I actually care about the source work.

If you adapt a Harry Potter book into a movie, but in your film version Hermione, Dumbledore, and Ron don't exist, and Snape is Harry's pet gopher, and the movie takes place in a regular public school, and in this one Harry's a monster hunter, but you still name your movie "Harry Potter", in my opinion, you should expect a little resentment from fans of the book, even if the movie is actually good on its own merits.
Sorry man. Another poster said he hated it but I thought you said it. My bad.

In any event I understand where you're coming from. I never read the original book so I don't really know how much was changed.

My point is that if a movie is good and/or you enjoy it shouldn't really matter, in my opinion, if it is slightly or even totally different from the the book it was based on.

Books and movies are obviously two completely different mediums so I think it's ok to enjoy both even if they are totally different.

If it helps buy the dvd and make a new cover for it and name it something else other than "I Am Legend"
Old 12-15-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first two acts of the film were actually very solid, surprising considering the director and co-writer.

The third act of the film was complete dogshit and contradicted everything that came before it. I should've saw that one coming considering the director and co-writer.

Under another director and writer, this film could've knocked it out of the park. As it stands, The Omega Man is still the far superior film despite it being a product of the era it was created in.
Old 12-15-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't care for it. It's not bad so much as its not compelling. There were pockets of suspense, but I never got the feeling of suspense/tension/isolation that being the last man on Earth would someone.

The vampires/zombies/dark seekers were just boring and unthreatening (and weren't aided by being Mummy Returns levels of bad CGI). The final act of the movie just drains any momentum that the first 2/3rd may have been building towards and leaves the movie limping to the end.

The movie starts so promising that I found myself wishing the film had dealt the events prior to the movie taking place, from
Spoiler:
Emma Thompson's cure for cancer to the onset of the virus to the outbreak
Old 12-15-07, 10:20 PM
Cool New Member

The vampires/zombies/dark seekers were just boring and unthreatening (and weren't aided by being Mummy Returns levels of bad CGI).

Yeah I have been comparing the CGI to the mummy also.

I thought the film itself was very good. It could have been a classic for me except for the weak third act. But still the third act was good enough not to ruin the movie.

What did hurt the film was the BAD CGI. It was sooooooo pointless. Why not just use standard make-up effects?? It's not like they tried to really make the creatures look any different from humans.

My guess is that they wanted the creatures to look fake. It they looked real like the 28 days/weeks later films it would have been deemed too intense and may have gotten an R rating. I know thats a stretch but there had to be some reason for the choice to use CGI were it was not needed.

If Will Smith was running from a bunch of 28 days latter looking creatures this would have been a classic for me. As it stands the film was only OK.
Old 12-15-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Was good, but the two issues I had were:

1. If you are going to spend a ton of time fortifying your home for a possibly attack, why the hell not put UV lights inside all over. You could fry tons of those things if they attacked in the way they did.

2. Why martyr yourself with the grenade. Couldn't you just lock yourself in the safe and wait until morning? The only thing I can think is he thought it would be too dark inside still, and they would be able to stick around.
Old 12-15-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really was in for this ride. Great genre film, except the "shrek" scene and the weak cgi vamps. I loved how melancholy this film is. As for "Iam Legend" adaptations, I think this is really good, but for some reason, I think "Last Man on Earth" just nudges this out, with "Omega Man" in last place.
Old 12-15-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not bad, but not that good either. Smith carries the film well, but his character is dramatically underwritten considering the circumstances. And they really dropped the ball with the emotional core to his actions and obvious moral questions.

das
Old 12-15-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I caught this on IMAX and enjoyed it, although some parts felt a bit off to me. I never read the book, so i don't really have any comparison to the original source material. I'm kind of glad though, since those who read the book seemed to dislike it.

The CGI didn't bother me for the most part other then the one particular "lead" monster opening his mouth. That just looked silly on what should be a regular human looking creature.

For the most part i was into the movie and the suspense, even through the 3rd act that many here seem to dislike. The Anna character seemed to come out of nowhere though, which combined with the ending was a little dissapointing. I also wish they expanded more on the start of the outbreak and why Neville survived. I'd rather they have cut out some of the slower moments and throw in another flashback or two, which i thought were actually well done.
Old 12-16-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
I didn't care for it. It's not bad so much as its not compelling. There were pockets of suspense, but I never got the feeling of suspense/tension/isolation that being the last man on Earth would someone.

The vampires/zombies/dark seekers were just boring and unthreatening (and weren't aided by being Mummy Returns levels of bad CGI). The final act of the movie just drains any momentum that the first 2/3rd may have been building towards and leaves the movie limping to the end.

The movie starts so promising that I found myself wishing the film had dealt the events prior to the movie taking place, from
Spoiler:
Emma Thompson's cure for cancer to the onset of the virus to the outbreak
I liked the movie. I didn't love it, but I liked it.

Personally, I thought the flashback scenes were the best parts of the movie. I actually wish most of the movie dealt with the beginning stages of the virus and the evacuation and whatnot. Some of the flashback scenes were quite compelling. I also think that the third act was very weak and didn't really fit with the rest of the movie.
Old 12-16-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
oh yeah, I loved the billboard for
Spoiler:
the Batman/Superman movie. Nice touch Warner!
Also...
Spoiler:
Green Lantern

Saw this last night. Thought the premise was really cool, last man standing and what it would take to survive. Hated the "monsters"...bad, bad, BAD CGI. The poor CGI made them not scary at all which kind defeated the purpose.

I do have the hankering to buy a Ford now.
Old 12-16-07, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the creepiest parts with the creatures were two scenes... When he saw them all huddled and "sleeping" while standing up and breathing heavily (very creepy image), and also when he hallucinated and saw the creature wearing the orange hoodie....BOTH of those are scenes that used actual actors in monster make-up, NOT cgi. And what do you know, none of the CGI stuff was creepy at all. I really wish they all would have been practical monsters and not CGI. The wide mouth stuff just looked poorly done.
Old 12-16-07, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
I liked it, but it's not something I would re-visit again anytime soon. The DVD would have to have 2 audio commentaries and a 1 1/2 hour making of documentary for me to consider purchasing this and considering WB produced this film, that's doubtful.

It was a little hard for me to connect with Smith's character since he and the dog were essentially the entire movie and he spent most of his time talking to himself.

The creatures were somewhat creepy, but I think the Zombies in the Resident Evil movies were much scarier and more realistic than this film.

I would give this film a C+. Only recommended if your a fan of Smith.
Old 12-16-07, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
On another forum, there was someone who went to a sneak preview awhile back that had a different ending:
Spoiler:
Neville is still trapped in the basement with the woman and her child, and the vampires are still trying to break through. He eventually realizes that it's not him they want, it's the woman he trapped who became his latest test subject. Neville unchains the (unconscious) female and reluctantly opens the door. Some of the vampires pick her up, while the rest surround Neville and hiss/growl at him; however, they do nothing and eventually leave. The movie ends with Neville and his companions driving away from New York to an unsure future.

Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But it explains your missing shot.
seems like a much better ending than the one I saw yesterday. good movie but didn`t care for the ending.
Old 12-16-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably a bit too gloomy to warrant repeat viewings from me, but I generally thought it was good. Great performance by Will Smith, IMO. But it really felt to me like there was an underlying attempt to make a very mature, somber sci-fi pic, and then some studio execs stepped in and said "......yeah, that's great baby---but we just need to add a little "Van Helsing" zing to it, OK? Great!--I'll get the CGI people working on it right away!!"
Old 12-16-07, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Probably a bit too gloomy to warrant repeat viewings from me, but I generally thought it was good. Great performance by Will Smith, IMO. But it really felt to me like there was an underlying attempt to make a very mature, somber sci-fi pic, and then some studio execs stepped in and said "......yeah, that's great baby---but we just need to add a little "Van Helsing" zing to it, OK? Great!--I'll get the CGI people working on it right away!!"
I actually thought the dog Sam was the star and the CGI reminded me of the Resident Evil games from playstation 2. all in all a good movie. I will now seek out the original book.
Old 12-16-07, 05:29 PM

Just got back from seeing it. Maybe it's just my kind of thing or I was in the mood - but I thought it was very good. Actually it scared the hell of me in some parts. Went with the wife - she said it didn't scare her at all. Great job by Will Smith.
Old 12-17-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just watched the movie and thought it was pretty good. The audience sucked though and made it hard to enjoy. Babies crying, people talking, laughing at serious stuff, and cell phones going off like they didn't hear the talking panda tell them to shut them off. The theater nearest me decided to get rid of all the early shows which are great for avoiding asshats.

Any way it seems like the higher ups cut into the film a bit and changed things from the original design. It seems clear they were going for intelligent monsters but changed it at the last minute. Will mentions that the monsters have lost all trace of thier human self. Yet he doesn't say boo about them setting a trap for him. I'm sure the one part when the lady was shocked by the number test subjects that died was originally meant to show why the monster people were afraid of Will.
Old 12-17-07, 02:57 AM

question:
Spoiler:
how did nevell know he had a cure? breathing/heart rate went back to normal but could the patient talk? eat normal food? would she live for decades still? would her messed up skin and appearance go back to normal? can she go in the sun? seems like almost nothing verified to be cured.
Old 12-17-07, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Saw it.

I like it. Anyone else think that it went by a little too quick? I can't say that it was rushed. Everything that should have happened was all there. Five minutes before the end (you know the part that I mean), I was like 'WTF' and looked down at my watch. And it set in that an hour and fourty minutes already passed. I guess that means that I was sucked in, and had a good time. [I was actually hit with this TWICE today. First time with No Country For Old Men a little earlier.]

There were five-or-so moments that were sorta' misfires. They certainly didn't feel laughably bad to me. But the audience started laughing. One part was when he was spazzing out at the manequin trap.

That's all I got.
Old 12-17-07, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
2. Why martyr yourself with the grenade. Couldn't you just lock yourself in the safe and wait until morning? The only thing I can think is he thought it would be too dark inside still, and they would be able to stick around.
Better, stick yourself inside the hidey-hole and throw the grenade. The handy metal door should save your life. The problem is there's no way a mere grenade takes out that many zombies, and even if it did there should be plenty more hanging around (previous scenes establish they like dark places) to kill the woman and child in the morning. I'm also surprised he didn't have a bunch of UV lights in that saferoom.
Old 12-17-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Better, stick yourself inside the hidey-hole and throw the grenade. The handy metal door should save your life. The problem is there's no way a mere grenade takes out that many zombies, and even if it did there should be plenty more hanging around (previous scenes establish they like dark places) to kill the woman and child in the morning. I'm also surprised he didn't have a bunch of UV lights in that saferoom.
I may have misheard what was said, but I assumed the little tunnel came out somewhere else. I thought she said "come with us", and he said "they'd follow us." I didn't think they were just waiting in the little black box for morning.
Old 12-17-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
Saw it.

I like it. Anyone else think that it went by a little too quick? I can't say that it was rushed. Everything that should have happened was all there. Five minutes before the end (you know the part that I mean), I was like 'WTF' and looked down at my watch. And it set in that an hour and fourty minutes already passed. I guess that means that I was sucked in, and had a good time. [I was actually hit with this TWICE today. First time with No Country For Old Men a little earlier.]

There were five-or-so moments that were sorta' misfires. They certainly didn't feel laughably bad to me. But the audience started laughing. One part was when he was spazzing out at the manequin trap.

That's all I got.
Yes, I mentioned above (or in some other thread) that this and "The Golden Compass" just flew by. And my audience laughed when Smith talked to AND screamed at the mannequins.
Old 12-17-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I may have misheard what was said, but I assumed the little tunnel came out somewhere else. I thought she said "come with us", and he said "they'd follow us." I didn't think they were just waiting in the little black box for morning.
They were waiting until morning. When she said "come with us" she meant to Vermont.

I thought the movie was great. Could have been excellent if not for the CGI'd "zombies." When it was real people it was freaky, when it was CGI, eh, not so much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.