Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey, that's not my city!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hey, that's not my city!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, that's not my city!

I'm more bemused than miffed by watching a movie location being faked. But it can totally take me out of the magic. Watching Big Fish and there was a scene that was supposed to take place at Auburn University. I don't know where they filmed that scene, but it wasn't Auburn.

Often jolted out of the story when you recognize differing locations?
Old 04-30-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, PHONE BOOTH says it is set in NYC, and specifies the exact location, which happens to be the block where I live. Everything is supposed to be happening right outside my front door, but trust me, when I step outside my front door what I see is nothing like what is on the screen!
Old 04-30-06, 08:21 AM

I live in the DC area and when I saw DIE HARD 2 it was impossible to accept the airport they used as the very odd, glassy and distinctive Dulles Airport it was supposed to be. That said, my only real problem with the movie was that it wasn't as fun as the first.

I haven't seen NO WAY OUT (the Costner film) all the way, but on TV I caught a chase seen on the subway which looks much more generic than our Metro system with its brushed steel and chocolate brown motif in the cars and its underground stations' large, hollow, arcing concrete celings. I keep meaning to rent the movie but never get around to it. I don't think it has to do with suspending disbelief, though. I think it has to do with Costnerphobia.
Old 04-30-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
They filmed Hellraiser 3 here in Greensboro, NC, but it was supposed to be NYC. At the end of the movie the "main character" is running through downtown and it's funny because they didn't bother to change the street signs, so I can see the names of the streets I'm familiar with.
Old 04-30-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'm more bemused than miffed by watching a movie location being faked. But it can totally take me out of the magic. Watching Big Fish and there was a scene that was supposed to take place at Auburn University. I don't know where they filmed that scene, but it wasn't Auburn.
Yeah, I recognized the same thing. According to IMDB.com, the filmmakers planned to actually film at Auburn University but changed the location to Huntingdon College (in Montgomery) when AU asked for script approval.
Old 04-30-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember seeing a skateboard movie (I forgot the title) where a main character skated from Irvine to near Disneyland within an hour. I laughed because it would take much longer than that!
Old 04-30-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
That was probably Gleaming the Cube. The movie is set in Anaheim where I grew up.
Old 04-30-06, 12:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
i more bemused than miffed by ambiguous thread titles.
Old 04-30-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sherm42
That was probably Gleaming the Cube. The movie is set in Anaheim where I grew up.
Yes, that's it. It also filmed in Irvine (Woodbridge High School).
Old 04-30-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very few movies are set in the places I have lived, so it doesn't happen very often for me.

The X-Files movie, though, had a couple of such parts.
Old 04-30-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
In "Romeo Must Die" I love how Vancouver, Canada is right across the lake from San Francisco.
Old 04-30-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Courage under Fire. Austin was used for Washington.
Old 04-30-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
i more bemused than miffed by ambiguous thread titles.
Why, were you upset it wasn't the title of a new Ashton Kutcher flick?
Old 04-30-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
major league 2 was supposed to be cleavland, but its obviously baltimore (hell you can see "inner harbor" signs. Also, the sum of all fears takes place in baltimore but we don't have any dome stadiums
Old 04-30-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I didn't actually see it, but apparently the first episode of "The Loop" was so bad about this it caused someone from the Tribune to devote a column to it. It's supposed to be set in downtown Chicago, and most of Illinois is as flat as an 11 year old boy. Apparently it was filmed in either some part of California or Canada where *huge* mountain ranges could be seen in the background.
Old 04-30-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Often jolted out of the story when you recognize differing locations?
In Army of One (Dolph Lundgren movie!) there's this action sequence that takes place near this lone gas station in the Owens Valley (Cali) that I'm familiar with.
I let out a huge laugh when a police car flies off a cliff behind the station that isn't really there.

Speaking of Owens Valley, it was a trip seeing Maximus running around from there to Morocco in Gladiator!
Old 04-30-06, 06:05 PM

Yea it would have been nice for Big Fish to have something like Samford Hall in it, but Huntingdon at least has a beautiful campus.
Old 04-30-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot to add:

In ID4, they showed El Toro Air Base in desert with mountain range - but the real El Toro Air Base is in farm/city area with hill range in back ground.

Last edited by McHawkson; 04-30-06 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-30-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I didn't actually see it, but apparently the first episode of "The Loop" was so bad about this it caused someone from the Tribune to devote a column to it. It's supposed to be set in downtown Chicago, and most of Illinois is as flat as an 11 year old boy. Apparently it was filmed in either some part of California or Canada where *huge* mountain ranges could be seen in the background.
True Grit is supposed to take place in Oklahoma, but the mountains suggest that it was filmed a lot farther west.
Old 04-30-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Awful movie no matter what, but Blues Brothers 2000 was supposed to be in Chicago when it was either filmed in Detroit or Canada. I really don't want to watch it again to confirm.
Old 04-30-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread could be changed to "Hey, that's my city!!"

I live in Vancouver, BC and I could swear a lot of the movies that are suppose to set in LA or Seattle or New York are in Vancouver.
Old 05-01-06, 01:33 AM
Cool New Member

Here's one that bugged me, not the shooting location mind you, but the disregard for geography...

In 'Kingpin', Woody Harrelson's character is established as living in Scranton, PA. The location shoot isn't too bad. It isn't Scranton, but it has a similar look and isn't out of line with what Scranton looks like.

But...

He is shown driving to a LANCASTER BOWLING ALLEY (sorry 'bout the shouting) as if it's fifteen minutes away.

Lancaster, PA and the Amish community is a good two and a half hour drive (minimum) by the most direct route available from Scranton. Scranton's up in the Northeast corner of the state, while Lancaster is closer to the central area of the state's southern border...
Old 05-01-06, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree on "Blues Brothers 2000," especially when they're crossing a bridge over the Ohio River that's only about 50 feet across (the Ohio is about a mile and a half wide where they're supposed to be).

Others:

I like the mountians surrounding New York in "Rumble in the Bronx."

I used to live in Southern Illinois, near where Harrison Ford escapes from custody in "The Fugitive." If he was really in Illinois running along the Mississippi River, then the river was flowing north. Also, there aren't any dams, let alone one big enough for him to drive through or jump off of.
Old 05-01-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There's a scene in Bob Roberts that's supposed to take place in downtown Harrisburg, PA, but one of the barricades is marked "City of Philadelphia".
Old 05-01-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
This thread could be changed to "Hey, that's my city!!"

I live in Vancouver, BC and I could swear a lot of the movies that are suppose to set in LA or Seattle or New York are in Vancouver.
I think there and Toronto are the two main cities used to stand in for US cities but filmed in Canada.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.