DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Trek XI in 2008 Written/Directed by JJ Abrams (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/462941-star-trek-xi-2008-written-directed-jj-abrams.html)

MvRojo 04-21-06 01:59 AM

Star Trek XI in 2008 Written/Directed by JJ Abrams

According to Variety, Abrams and Damon Lindelof are writing Trek XI set during Kirk and Spock's academy days.

The setting might be interesting.

I think having the "Lost" writing team is a really interesting choice, and the movie will probably be much different that anything Trek has done so far.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...0&cs=1&s=h&p=0

BigDan 04-21-06 02:04 AM

Couldn't hurt.

I'm interested to see what they are able to do with it.

Nick Martin 04-21-06 02:15 AM

This whole thing reeks of imdb rumor picked up by the media, but if true, then...okay. Cool, I guess. Wouldn't hurt to have included one of Trek's greatest, Ira Steven Behr (DS9) in some form, if he ever became interested in returning to Trek.

MvRojo 04-21-06 02:54 AM

I guess if you're essentially going to do a flashback, you might as well let the "Lost" writers do it.

HN 04-21-06 02:54 AM

would be very interesting if more confirmation is received.
Early Alias was great and Lost is still going strong (yes, just my opinion). MI:III (2? ;)) will show if he's got what it takes for big budget feature (i believe it will be a pleasant surprise).

Josh-da-man 04-21-06 03:29 AM

"Stardate 4815.16..."

Matthew Chmiel 04-21-06 04:48 AM

I guess there goes hope for a Star Trek film to continue off of Deep Space Nine (I could care less about Voyager or Enterprise).

ruk 04-21-06 08:07 AM

From comingsoon.net
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14199

Paramount Pictures is breathing life into its "Star Trek" franchise by setting Mission: Impossible III helmer J.J. Abrams to produce and direct the 11th "Trek" feature, aiming for a 2008 release.

Variety says that Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, Abrams' producing team from Lost, also will produce the yet-to-be-titled feature.

The project, to be written by Abrams and "M:i:III" screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, will center on the early days of seminal "Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission.

Created by Gene Roddenberry, "Star Trek" has been Hollywood's most durable performer other than James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

Abrams also created Alias, which ABC is wrapping up in May.

Email Story to a Friend | Discuss on the Boards

This has potential.

lordwow 04-21-06 08:18 AM

CNN is reporting this as well now.

I'm actually getting excited for Star Trek again. I personally think they should go back to the TNG/DS9/VOY-time period and continue that with another crew... but this sounds interesting as well.

Any thoughts on who you think they'd cast for a Young Kirk/Spock?

Joseph B 04-21-06 08:24 AM

Has anyone here read Diane Carey's "Best Destiny"? It chronicles the Academy graduation of James Kirk followed by his first adventure in space ... as an ensign serving under Captain Robert April!

If the movie is even half as good as that book, then Paramount could have a major hit on its hands!!

Groucho 04-21-06 08:33 AM

I haven't seen a Trek movie since First Contact but I would turn out for this one.

Especially if Jorge Garcia plays Young Scotty.

SiberianLlama 04-21-06 08:52 AM

While I love the idea of JJ Abrams doing a Stark Trek movie, why do they have to make it a prequel? The whole Star Fleet Academy idea just reeks of a WB (er UPN) tv (disaster) series waiting to happen.

Use the DS9 setting, or heaven forbid, do something creative and original! Stop milking the franchise. The horse is dead, Jim, let it rest in peace.

Numanoid 04-21-06 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by lordwow
I personally think they should go back to the TNG/DS9/VOY-time period and continue that with another crew...

Well it is Star Trek. One or all of those crews may make a time-travelling appearance. ;)

Filmmaker 04-21-06 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
While I love the idea of JJ Abrams doing a Stark Trek movie, why do they have to make it a prequel? The whole Star Fleet Academy idea just reeks of a WB (er UPN) tv (disaster) series waiting to happen.

Exactly; and in spite of being someone whose favorite of all TREK series is the original, allow me to say, "It's over!" The Kirk/Spock era had its day; make a DS9 movie, or have TNG go out on a more spectacular note, or do right by the thoroughly punked ENTERPRISE but "The Young Kirk and Spock Chronicles" is the last thing most TREK fans want or need...

GuessWho 04-21-06 09:41 AM

WB (er UPN)
http://www.brandweek.com/brandweek/photos/CWNetwork.jpg

rennervision 04-21-06 10:13 AM

I have a funny feeling the sets and costumes will look nothing like pre-TOS. I also have no desire to see two young actors trying to look and act like William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. The original actors were pretty youthful to begin with, back in the 1960s. So if this is supposed to be a prequel to all of that, are they going to have to hire teenagers?

I'm not a Trekkie by any means, but I enjoyed the films and the TV episodes everyone considers the best. I have zero interest in seeing this latest cash-in on Hollywood's bizarre prequel craze.

resinrats 04-21-06 10:50 AM

So the Enterprise crashes on a deserted planet and there is a mystery of some anchient Klingon visionary that left artifacts everywhere that will lead to some great knowlege of the future.....?

Numanoid 04-21-06 10:52 AM

I'm only going to endorse a prequel if they include an all-CGI, semi-retarded, ethnically offensive sidekick...you know, for the kids.

rennervision 04-21-06 10:52 AM

No matter how serious they may try, I think anyone impersonating a young William Shatner is going to end up being unintentionally humorous.

Tracer Bullet 04-21-06 10:54 AM

Could be good. Could be bad.

DarthVong 04-21-06 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'm only going to endorse a prequel if they include an all-CGI, semi-retarded, ethnically offensive sidekick...you know, for the kids.

Mesa not know what you talkin' bout!

GuessWho 04-21-06 11:01 AM

Maybe it's not a PREQUEL...

..maybe it's an 'Enterprise' SEQUEL

;)

GuessWho 04-21-06 11:01 AM

Could be good. Could be bad.
well that just about sums it up. time to lock the thread; the conversation is settled. :lol:

Breakfast with Girls 04-21-06 11:28 AM

This is going to be retarded.

Tracer Bullet 04-21-06 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
well that just about sums it up. time to lock the thread; the conversation is settled. :lol:

Awesome! ;)