Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: "Aliens"...horror or not horror film?
horror/action/science fiction only
43.31%
action/science fiction only
46.50%
horror only
0.64%
action only
3.18%
science fiction only
5.10%
other...please define
1.27%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

"Aliens"...horror or not horror film?

Old 04-19-06, 10:48 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

"Aliens"...horror or not horror film?

Well, after so much back and forth in this thread .... Horror Movies
i want to see the general public's (we DVD Talkers) consensus of what genre to label the movie "Aliens"(1986), the 2nd in a fine quadrilogy.

bear in mind that the horror film category carries a broad spectrum of other genres as clearly defined at reputable sights...

1. "Some horror films owe a substantial amount to other genres, particularly science fiction, fantasy and the thriller." --- Wikipedia

2. "A horror film is a film dominated by elements of horror...Some horror films exhibit a substantial amount of cross-over with other genres, particularly science fiction." --- explanation-guide.info

3. "Horror films are often combined with science fiction when the menace or monster is related to a corruption of technology, or when Earth is threatened by aliens." --- filmsite.org

I highlight science fiction because that is where this debate heats up with some labeling it as an action/science fiction film only . I disagree and say it is all that and a very frightful horror film.

So forget formal and informal definitions, use your first instinct, gut, or simply where you placed in your DVD collection... basically YOUR opinion to answer the question of what genre you think the film "Aliens" should be placed in.

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-19-06 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-19-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always thought of Alien as a horror film and Aliens as an action film.
Old 04-19-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I voted action/sci-fi. I associate horror with something scary. Alien I associate more closely with horror than I ever would Aliens.

Aliens to me is an action movie that happend to be sci-fi. I don't really recall a horror/scary moment. Lot's of "that's cool" and "wow" moments, but nothing scary for me.
Old 04-19-06, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I've always thought of Alien as a horror film and Aliens as an action film.
With the addition that Alien is a sci fi/horror film and Aliens is a sci-fi/action film, absolutely.
Old 04-19-06, 11:08 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by wendersfan
With the addition that Alien is a sci fi/horror film and Aliens is a sci-fi/action film, absolutely.
My thoughts as well.
Old 04-19-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 04-19-06, 11:25 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
ALIENS has:

a) butt-kicking marines blowing away everything under the sun with some of the most wicked harware ever filmed = ACTION

b) intergalactic spacecraft, cyrogenic chambers, terraforming colonies = SCIENCE FICTION

c) hordes of blood-curdling, relentlessly pursuing insectoid aliens that devour their human prey or use them as living incubators for their offspring, which then hatch out of their human hosts' chests in a spray of blood and organs while said hosts still live: HORROR

It's all three or its none of them.
Old 04-19-06, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
ALIENS has:

a) butt-kicking marines blowing away everything under the sun with some of the most wicked harware ever filmed = ACTION

b) intergalactic spacecraft, cyrogenic chambers, terraforming colonies = SCIENCE FICTION

c) hordes of blood-curdling, relentlessly pursuing insectoid aliens that devour their human prey or use them as living incubators for their offspring, which then hatch out of their human hosts' chests in a spray of blood and organs while said hosts still live: HORROR

I agree with what Filmaker said. It has to be all three.
Old 04-19-06, 11:38 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

ALIENS has:

very well put!
Old 04-19-06, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
Well, after so much back and forth in this thread .... Horror Movies
i want to see the general public's (we DVD Talkers) consensus of what genre to label the movie "Aliens"(1986), the 2nd in a fine quadrilogy.

bear in mind that the horror film category carries a broad spectrum of other genres as clearly defined at reputable sights...

1. "Some horror films owe a substantial amount to other genres, particularly science fiction, fantasy and the thriller." --- Wikipedia

2. "A horror film is a film dominated by elements of horror...Some horror films exhibit a substantial amount of cross-over with other genres, particularly science fiction." --- explanation-guide.info

3. "Horror films are often combined with science fiction when the menace or monster is related to a corruption of technology, or when Earth is threatened by aliens." --- filmsite.org

I highlight science fiction because that is where this debate heats up with some labeling it as an action/science fiction film only . I disagree and say it is all that and a very frightful horror film.

So forget formal and informal definitions, use your first instinct, gut, or simply where you placed in your DVD collection... basically YOUR opinion to answer the question of what genre you think the film "Aliens" should be placed in.
I class it as sci-fi.
Old 04-19-06, 12:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i don't remember seeing the Aliens "devouring" anyone in the sequel. Nor do I remember anyone's chest bursting open. ripley's dream gets close, i suppose. and bishop was pierced thru the back and torn in two, but there was only white artificial "blood". i guess what i'm saying is that your reference points were "softened" in Aliens when compared to its predecessor. and personally, i don't think the aliens were significantly more frightening than the alien ships in war of the worlds or the raptors in jurassic park.

i say, "sci-fi action".
Old 04-19-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always saw it as horror even before I saw it thanks to Fangoria. They mention it in the editorial in their 150th issue as one of the good horror films to come out in the last 15 years. I think if you look at definition of horror as black and white, then no it isn't horror. If you see there is a lot of grey in the definition, then i can see how someone would put it in that catagory.
To me, horror has probably 100 subcatagories, and Aliens fits in there somewhere.
Old 04-19-06, 12:36 PM

I voted "Horror only" until I realized this was about Aliens with an "S". My bad.

My action vote: Action with a touch of sci-fi.
Old 04-19-06, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
i don't remember seeing the Aliens "devouring" anyone in the sequel. Nor do I remember anyone's chest bursting open. ripley's dream gets close, i suppose. and bishop was pierced thru the back and torn in two, but there was only white artificial "blood".
So what was with the scene that showed the Marines using flame-throwers to fry a cocooned woman colonist who died after the chest burster killed her?
Old 04-19-06, 01:21 PM

Sci Fi Action Horror is what I call it.
Old 04-19-06, 01:23 PM

I haven't seen it, but since scott1598 thinks it's "horror/action/science fiction" I voted
"action/science fiction".
Old 04-19-06, 01:27 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Action/Science Fiction.
Old 04-19-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Action/Sci-fi...and one of the best ever at that.

Horror...mmmmm....not so much.
Old 04-19-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the movie and its one of my favorite movies of all time....

but i know that its action/sci-fi.

"Alien" would be horror/sci-fi, "Aliens" is flat out action/sci-fi.
Old 04-19-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sci-Fi/Action/Horror
Old 04-19-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's how I classify them.
Old 04-19-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I voted all 3, although i can see why its far less horror then the other two.
Old 04-19-06, 02:44 PM

just because a movie has laser guns or spaceships in it dosent automatically mean its a sci-fi movie.

in my opinion, something is only truly "sci-fi" when it explores the changes technology or progress has on the human experience.

thats why Alien is a horror movie, and Aliens an action movie. You can take a movie with a very similar plot to Aliens ("Deep Rising" with treat williams comes to mind) and that is not a sci-fi movie by any stretch.

in my opinion most movies have a "genre" and a "setting"

Romeo and Juliet (with DiCaprio and Danes) is a Shakespeare adaptation set in modern times. Shanghai Noon is a comedic action/buddy movie that happens to be set in the old west, its not a Western.

Last edited by Hospitaller; 04-19-06 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-19-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All of the above: Action/Sci Fi/Horror.
Old 04-19-06, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I voted "Horror only" until I realized this was about Aliens with an "S". My bad.

My action vote: Action with a touch of sci-fi.
I also missed that "s," so I voted for the first poll option. I see Alien as sci-fi/horror and Aliens as sci-fi/action.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.