Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

JFK - inappropriate title for this Oliver Stone movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 1991, Oliver Stone directed a movie called JFK, and if you knew nothing about this movie, wouldn't you think it was a story about John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States?

But its not about John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the President. Its about John Fitzgerald Kennedy's assassination, all posthumous to the President.

Shouldn't JFK have been named something else? Like - JFK's Assassination?
Old 04-18-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. Independence Day have been called "That Time Aliens Attacked and The President Pitched In"
Old 04-18-06, 03:53 PM

I think it's a good point to make-- biopics in general seem to come with dumb, unethical names
Old 04-18-06, 03:53 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pearl Harbor should have been called "Some stuff before the surprise attack and then a bunch of stuff after it too"
Old 04-18-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
In 1991, Oliver Stone directed a movie called JFK, and if you knew nothing about this movie, wouldn't you think it was a story about John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States?
or Just For Knuckleheads
Old 04-18-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I purchased Gandhi from Amazon.com, I was shocked to find that it was actually a movie about Gandhi, and not the man himself. It should have been titled "A Movie About Gandhi" to clear up confusion.
Old 04-18-06, 04:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That's nothing. Stone's Nixon has nothing to do with the reindeer.
Old 04-18-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
The movie is mostly based on Jim Garrison's book called On the Trail of the Assassins, which would've been a much better title for the movie.
Old 04-18-06, 04:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Another good title for JFK would have been The Lord of the Rings because its pure fantasy.
Old 04-18-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
That's nothing. Stone's Nixon has nothing to do with the reindeer.
um....it's Blitzen or Vixen.

Last edited by MartinBlank; 04-18-06 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-18-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
um....it's Blitzen or Vixen.
Welcome to the boards. FYI, Groucho is a sarcasti-holic.
Old 04-18-06, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Another good title for JFK would have been The Lord of the Rings because its pure fantasy.
from a certain point of view
Old 04-18-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Palpadious
from a certain point of view
If you still believe anything having to do with a second or third shooter, I suggest watching any of the innumerable JFK documentaries that usually pop up around November. The one on the Discovery Channel (I think) had the best scientific explanation I've ever seen; each fact was gone over carefully and shown to have been absolutely possible to have been done by Oswald alone. I can't speak to the "conspiracy" aspect of it, but the shooting itself was wrapped up nicely.
Old 04-18-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I saw this movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode! I think it was called "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
Old 04-18-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I saw this movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode! I think it was called "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
yeah, but 50 mph isn't speeding. If it were up to me I would have called it Going Slightly Below the Speed Limit
Old 04-18-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is the dumbest thread ever. There is no biopic about John F. Kennedy so the title still fits, until there is, it's fine. It's like asking why aren't the Florida Marlins called the Miami Marlins. Because at the time no other major league baseball team existed in Florida.
Old 04-18-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FinkPish
If you still believe anything having to do with a second or third shooter, I suggest watching any of the innumerable JFK documentaries that usually pop up around November. The one on the Discovery Channel (I think) had the best scientific explanation I've ever seen; each fact was gone over carefully and shown to have been absolutely possible to have been done by Oswald alone. I can't speak to the "conspiracy" aspect of it, but the shooting itself was wrapped up nicely.
I've watched numerous documentaries on the JFK assassination I've never seen one that didn't support multiple shooters. It's not like Oliver Stone made this stuff up.
Old 04-18-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
technically, the title Jurassic Park is misleading, It should've been called Cretaceous Park
Old 04-18-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Sure it's possible that Oswald acted alone, but logic dictates he didn't.
There is enough evidence to suggest that it was indeed a conspiracy. Who the conspirators were, of course, leads to endless conjecture.

Fact or fiction, JFK is an incredible piece of filmmaking. IMHO Stone's best work.

I'm also in agreement that this thread is pretty ridiculous.
Old 04-18-06, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This is the dumbest thread ever. There is no biopic about John F. Kennedy so the title still fits, until there is, it's fine.
This is the dumbest thread ever, thanks to replies its getting. JFK is a bad title because it insinuates that his life is about being publicly assassinated. It doesn't have anything to do with a title already being in use or not.
Old 04-18-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
There is enough evidence to suggest that it was indeed a conspiracy. Who the conspirators were, of course, leads to endless conjecture.

Fact or fiction, JFK is an incredible piece of filmmaking. IMHO Stone's best work.
I was just talking about Oswald being the only shooter, which I why I said I couldn't really comment on the conspiracy element of it. Stone's film is indeed incredible and incredibly persuasive, and it nearly changes my mind about the event every time I watch it.
Old 04-18-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've watched numerous documentaries on the JFK assassination I've never seen one that didn't support multiple shooters. It's not like Oliver Stone made this stuff up.
Which probably means you've seen the ones on the History Channel which I like to call the Mythtery Channel.

The Discovery Channel, Court TV and ABC have all had excellent documentaries in recent years supporting the "Oswald did it alone" theory.

Originally Posted by JumpCutz

I strongly disagree. The evidence for a conspiracy falls apart upon examination.

On that I agree. I think as cinema the film is a masterpiece and I love it even though as history I think it is a steaming pile of bullshit.
Old 04-18-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
This is the dumbest thread ever. There is no biopic about John F. Kennedy so the title still fits, until there is, it's fine. It's like asking why aren't the Florida Marlins called the Miami Marlins. Because at the time no other major league baseball team existed in Florida.
That's like calling a team the California Angels, even though there are other California teams. Then changing it to Anahiem. And then changing it to Los Angeles Angels, even though Los Angeles means "The Angels". So the team is The Angels Angels? What does that even mean? That's even worse than the Buffalo Bison
Old 04-19-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the bigger question is why they're the Marlins when the plural of Marlin is Marlin.
Old 04-19-06, 12:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

uhh... nevermind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.