Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sentinel (Opens April 21st)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Starring Michael Douglas, Kiefer Sutherland, Eva Longoria, Kim Basinger and David Rasche.
Directed by Clark Johnson

Who's psyched to see this movie? Douglas and Sutherland in the same movie should make an interesting combination. Being a huge 24 fan, this movie looks like it has alot of elements from the series. I predict this will open between 20-25 million this weekend.
Old 04-18-06, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks bland to me.

I like what Chiusano, a poster on another board I frequent, had to say. He loves Sledge Hammer! and 24, so having Jack Bauer protecting Sledge is just the bee's knees to him.

Originally Posted by Chiusano
I'm going to go to this and pretend I'm watching a 24 movie. Every time they refer to Kiefer by his character's name, I'll quickly stick my fingers in my ears and sing "la la la". Of course, the illusion will be hard to maintain if he doesn't try to decapitate Michael Douglas or shoot Eva Longoria in the thigh.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 04-18-06 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw a trailer for this before Scary Movie 4 (no flaming ) and I was the only one out of a bunch of people that wanted to see this. I think it looks awesome, but I think the trailer is pretty poor. Even the title screams mediocrity, but I trust Kiefer and Douglas that I think it willl kick ass.
Old 04-18-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trailer was okay, but I'm a huge fan of Douglas, so I'm in.
Old 04-18-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Keifer makes this a must see for me. Not to mention that Clark Johnson is a very solid director (his work on The Shield etc.) so I'm definitely going to be there on opening night.

MATT
Old 04-19-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would love to see this movie and dig Sutherland and Douglas, but i hate that **** hoar Longoria. I hope the movie bombs becuase of her. I cant say how much I detest that ugly bitch; but if anyone else here is from SA or Texas, they probably understand why.
Old 04-19-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I would love to see this movie and dig Sutherland and Douglas, but i hate that **** hoar Longoria. I hope the movie bombs becuase of her. I cant say how much I detest that ugly bitch; but if anyone else here is from SA or Texas, they probably understand why.
I'm from Texas. Aside from her relationship with Tony Parker(I despise the Spurs, so she's guilty by association), what's the reason to hate her? Is it the incident with the traffic cop a few months ago?
Old 04-19-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
She's not even one of the main characters of this movie. If you are really disgusted by her sight than fine (I don't know why you would be), but I'm will see this movie for Douglas and Sutherland.
Old 04-19-06, 07:58 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like pretty standard stuff: Top secret service agent framed and set up by someone on the president's staff who is the actual traitor.
Old 04-19-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well shes ALWAYS shoved down the throats of everyone here in San Antonio. The news paper puts her ass on the front page to say shes in town, whos shes fucking, buying a house, all this crap. Than theres that cop incident and her interviews AT EVERY MAJOR SPURS game.

Trust me, its sickening. People have wrote into our local news paper (Express News) to complain that theyre tired of her and dont care. Her crap belongs in the tabloids and not in the serious city paper. Alot of people here dont like her.
Old 04-19-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
Looks like pretty standard stuff: Top secret service agent framed and set up by someone on the president's staff who is the actual traitor.
I just have a hard time believing that Michael Douglas can escape Jack Bauer.
Old 04-19-06, 09:32 PM
Banned

What's funny is that on Fox this movie is about Keifer's mentor possibly being a traitor and his quest to bring Douglas down. On other stations and in theatrical trailers, it's about Michael Douglas being wrongfully accused and doing The Fugitive thing.
Old 04-19-06, 10:11 PM

The film is based on the novel by Gerald Petievich, who also wrote "To Live and Die in L.A.". I enjoyed the book several years ago, but I think the trailer and clips I've seen look nothing special. Something I might fit in if I get caught up on several other films in town.
Old 04-19-06, 10:34 PM

i cant wait, keifer kicks ass
Old 04-19-06, 10:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
serious city paper
LOL
Old 04-20-06, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Well shes ALWAYS shoved down the throats of everyone here in San Antonio. The news paper puts her ass on the front page to say shes in town, whos shes fucking, buying a house, all this crap. Than theres that cop incident and her interviews AT EVERY MAJOR SPURS game.
Ah, the age old law of diminishing returns. Yeah, she is majorly overexposed. In her defense though, she does have a hit TV show and a new movie coming out this week. So at least she has an excuse for having her grill plastered on every magazine. Unless say Jessica Simpson who's doing nothing at the moment career-wise, yet I still can't avoid seeing her mug everytime I'm at the supermarket checkout line.
Old 04-20-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it's setting at 26% at rottentomatoes.com, based on 19 reviews.
Old 04-21-06, 07:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Ebert's 3-star review here.

Have I seen movies like "The Sentinel" before? Yes, and I hope to see them again. At a time when American audiences seem grateful for the opportunity to drool at mindless horror trash, it is encouraging that well-crafted thrillers are still being made about characters who have dialogue, identities, motives and clean shirts.
Old 04-21-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jack Bauer rules! Longoria with a gun acting serious: I don't buy it. Will be seeing this movie this weekend just for the Bauer factor.
Old 04-21-06, 07:25 PM
Suspended

The trailer was okay, but I'm a huge fan of Douglas, so I'm in.
Co-sign.

Plus EL as eye candy can't hurt either
Old 04-22-06, 01:45 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ugh. I thought it was terrible. It's basically a standard formula thriller made of patchwork parts of better movies, except it couldn't even get the formula right. Pacing is horrible...
Spoiler:
The movie drags on forever before the "Michael Douglas is the main suspect" subplot finally arrives, and when it does there is very little suspense. You never really feel like he is in any sort of danger, not even of being arrested. I know the idea was "he knows all the tricks, so he's always one step ahead of them" but frankly his tricks weren't even all that great. It just makes it look like the people trying to catch him just weren't trying very hard.

The whole story is silly. Dumb plot point after dumb plot point was trotted out. It was just a string of foolishness and cliches.
Spoiler:
Douglas' character gets a piece of information that reveals there is a mole in the Secret Service, and they later determine HE is the mole. Okay, if that were the case why would he have even brought them that information?

Even more illogical, when they go to Douglas to tell him he's the suspect (which they came to based purely on two pieces of REALLY circumstantial evidence and the information that Douglas brought them) he runs, presumably to try to solve the case himself and clear his name. But the bad guys' goal was ultimately to kill the president, not just to put Douglas in jail. So eventually they would have tried to kill the president again and the SS would have to say "Oh, I guess it wasn't him after all!" And with the SS not wasting all their manpower trying to stop Douglas, they could have easily stopped a handful of dumbasses with guns, even with the real mole's treachery.

Characters and their actions are preposterous.
Spoiler:
Douglas is nailing the First Lady, meanwhile Kiefer hates him because he nailed Kiefer's wife when they had been BFF for ten years. They never go into any sort of explanation why Douglas is constantly screwing around with chicks who are not just married, but married to people close to him in one way or another.
Surely that would be a more interesting story than what we were left with. This would all be passable if it were at least entertaining, but it even fails in that regard.
Old 04-22-06, 03:39 AM
Banned

^ So based on your non-spoiler comments, this is basically a two-hour episode of 24?

Also, if they're going to remake a TV show, where are the super senses for Michael Douglas, dammit? It's like how they destroyed Cronenberg's Crash in the remake by limiting it to one car accident and making it about racism.
Old 04-22-06, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
Michael Douglas isn't a SS agent. he is mearly a bored rich white guy and for his birthday some of his rich friends chip in and get him a "once in the lifetime" treat. again. this is just The Game 2. really.

Old 04-22-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. I kept expecting Keifer to torture someone for information but no luck there. Still a fun and entertaining ride.

A solid grade of B.
Old 04-22-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I thought the film was too short in the character development department, and the middle act is just unbelievably underwritten, but the last act was okay. I picked up the traitor pretty early, but it doesn't really matter for this sort of genre, I guess. For a 2 hour popcorn flick, it did an average job.

So, I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.