Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godfather Trilogy question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never seen any of the godfather movies but have them on DVD and have been meaning to watch them. I know that at least one of the movies is a prequel and the third one is supposed to suck monkey balls. What order should I watch them in? Is the third movie worth seeing?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-17-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uh... 1 followed by 2 and then 3. Enjoy.

(Part 3 doesn't suck, it's just not as good as the first two... that and Sofia Coppola was awful)

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 04-17-06 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-17-06, 03:37 PM

Watch them in order I, II, III. The second movie has flashback scenes to before Godfather I, but it isn't a prequel. You should see the first one and get to know the characters to appreciate the flashbacks in II. Anyway, you should be in for a treat because the first two movies are great. Like many of us, I think Godfather III is pretty bad, but if you have the time, give it a look.
Old 04-17-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are all wrong. Watch Part 3 first or else you'll never get it.
Old 04-17-06, 06:49 PM
Banned

Part 3 has no Tom Haden or explains much about him.
Michael & Connie Coreleone act totally different from parts 1 & 2.
Micheal's son is a wuss, which in part 2 you would think he would follow in his father's footsteps.
If the movie was named something else without the Coreleone name it would be a o.k. movie. But just like Star Wars fans call Episode 1 trash which it's but the story line dissapoints it's fanbase.
Old 04-17-06, 07:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
If the movie was named something else
How about "The Death of Michael Coreleone", coppola's preferred title. Godfather Part III was used at paramount inistance.
Old 04-17-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Part 3 has no Tom Haden or explains much about him.
Michael & Connie Coreleone act totally different from parts 1 & 2.
Micheal's son is a wuss, which in part 2 you would think he would follow in his father's footsteps.
If the movie was named something else without the Coreleone name it would be a o.k. movie. But just like Star Wars fans call Episode 1 trash which it's but the story line dissapoints it's fanbase.
Actually, the extended edition of THE GODFATHER III (which was the original video release) explains what happened to Tom Hayden.

As for movie itself, it doesn't match the power and artistry of the first two, but it is a fine movie on its own and a fitting end to the saga. The worst element is probably Sofia Coppola's acting and Al Pacino's over-acting in some parts, but it's still better than 90% of the feature films out there in Hollywoodland.
Old 04-17-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Tom Haden
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Tom Hayden
Hagen.
Old 04-17-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that The Godfather Part III is a great film. Coppola says it shouldn't necessarily be considered a sequel, but rather more of an epilogue to the Godfather Saga.
Old 04-17-06, 08:38 PM

if you have the chance, i actually like the "Complete Saga" (i think thats what its called) where Coppola edited the first two films together into chronological order.
Old 04-17-06, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by yellowbedwetter
if you have the chance, i actually like the "Complete Saga" (i think thats what its called) where Coppola edited the first two films together into chronological order.
Indeed but that was a laserdisc and vhs? release only. Aswell I think the TV cut had more stuff as well.
Old 04-18-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
Hagen.
Oh, yeah. Well, all kraut-mick names sound the same to me.
Old 04-18-06, 08:36 PM

If you don't watch them in numerical order not only will you be lost, you will be seeing the films in a way the director did not want you to. You'd lose all sorts of character and plot developement. IMO it's a high crime to not view these films in order, 1-3. Screw the saga too. Clear your schedule, shut your phone off, load 'em up and enjoy Pt. I, Pt. II (IMO the greatest movie ever made), and to a lesser extent, Pt. III.