Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your favorite director, and his worst movie?

Old 04-13-06, 03:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Cygnet74 - Dr. Strangelove? Really?

Stanley Kubrick... And I'll go with Killer's Kiss or possibly Lolita. But I still enjoy the hell out of those films!
haven't seen killer's kiss, but when i compare it to everything else, yeah... dr. strangelove is at the bottom for me, nearly tied with the shining and the killing. while barry lyndon resides securely at the top.

Barry Lyndon
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
Clockwork Orange
Lolita
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
The Shining
The Killing
Dr. Strangelove
Old 04-13-06, 04:09 PM

This is difficult for me, will do a few.

Hal Hartley - Simple Men
Jim Jarmusch - Coffee and Cigarettes
John Cassavetes - Gloria (which he didn't care about anyhow), have not seen Big Trouble.
Sam Peckinpah - The Osterman Weekend
David Gordon Green - Undertow
Old 04-13-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

John Carpenter-Ghosts of Mars
Ridley Scott-Kingdom of Heaven and 1492
Terry Gilliam-Brothers Grimm
Steven Spielberg-1941
Stanley Kubrick-Barry Lyndon
Robert Altman-Gosford Park (It won an Oscar and holds the honor of the only movie I have ever fallen asleep watching in the theater)
Tim Burton-Planet of the Apes
Robert Rodriguez-The Faculty
Wes Craven-Cursed
The list goes on...
Old 04-13-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spielberg - Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World
Old 04-13-06, 08:54 PM

I'll explain my reasonings behind these as well:

Wes Anderson - Bottle Rocket - To me, this movie was really boring. I watched this one after I watched his other movies and perhaps my expectations were set too high, but I just felt like of all his movies, this one had a bland taste to it. I happen to love The Life Aquatic, which I know many people hate.

Spielberg - War of the Worlds (2005) - I thought my eyes were going to get stuck in their sockets with how much eye rolling I was doing. By the end of the movie, I felt like I watched a feature length commercial. Not that it was selling anything, but it lacked heart and substance, I felt. It was just empty. I liked The Terminal, which I know a lot of people didn't. Something about it, maybe the way it was shot, or just that it was a little more quirky than his other films tend to be, it seemed alright to me.

Ridley Scott - Hannibal - I had a bad taste in my mouth after watching this movie. This is one I just can't put my finger on. Maybe it was the head scene at the end, or possibly the cheesed up ending. Whatever it was, I disliked it a whole lot. I liked Kingdom of Heaven which I knew a lot of people thought really blew. But I love the crusades, and any movie about crusaders is at least partly cool in my book. Plus the director's cut will be coming out soon. Must reserve my final judgement till then.

Tony Scott - True Romance - Okay, I don't think it's his WORST movie, but I think it's his most overrated. I do like the movie and I own it, but I really feel like it gets more credit than it deserves. Ultimately, I feel like the movie is a hollow shell. The outer part of the movie is its style and the big actors and the quotable scenes. But inside, where the feeling is supposed to be, where it's all eventually supposed to mean something.. it's empty. By the time the movie is over, I don't love Christian Slater or Patricia Arquette. I have the same opinion of them as I did in the beginning, and are indifferent to their "true romance" which is not a true romance to me at all.

M. Night Shyamalan - The Sixth Sense - I like all his films. But this one does not hold up to repeat viewings. And it's not because of the ending being revealed. I enjoy the Usual Suspects multiple times and I know how it ends. But the Sixth Sense is a one-time wonder. I think that Unbreakable, Signs, and yes, even The Village all have better characters and moments. It's the only Shyamalan movie I don't own.

Those aren't ALL the directors I like, but they're major ones that most people would be familiar with their works and stuff.
Old 04-13-06, 09:10 PM

Coppola - III. 'Nuff said.
Old 04-13-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Michael Mann - Ali
Peter Jackson - toss up between Return of the King and King Kong
Spielberg - A.I.
Ridley Scott - G.I. Jane
Richard Donner - toss up between Timeline and Assassins
Danny Boyle - A Life Less Ordinary
Tony Scott - The Fan
The Coen Brothers - The Ladykillers

Last edited by B.A.; 04-13-06 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-13-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's my short list, and yeah I know that Charlie Kaufman isn't a director..

Tim Burton - Planet of the Apes
Coen Brothers - The Ladykillers
David Fincher - Alien≥
Terry Gilliam - The Brothers Grimm
Charlie Kaufman - Human Nature
Richard Linklater - Bad News Bears
David Lynch - Dune
Michael Mann - Ali
Christopher Nolan - Insomnia
Alexander Payne - Citizen Ruth
Robert Rodriguez - His kids films, and The Faculty
Martin Scorsese - The Last Waltz
Steven Soderbergh - Erin Brockovich
Steven Spielberg - The Lost World

I've seen every feature film by the following people, and I loved them all..

PT Anderson
Wes Anderson
Darren Aronofsky
Sofia Coppola
Marc Forster
Vincent Gallo
Alejandro GonzŠlez IŮŠrritu
David Gordon Green
Christopher Guest
Sam Mendes
Erik Skjoldbjśrg
Quentin Tarantino
Terry Zwigoff

And these guys I adore and have pretty much worked my way through, and I have an idea of which movie will be my least favorite when it's all said and done, but I'd rather finish seeing all of their movies before commenting..

Woody Allen
Ingmar Bergman
Francis Ford Coppola
Alfred Hitchcock
Stanley Kubrick
Akira Kurosawa

-JP
Old 04-13-06, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.
Peter Jackson - toss up between Return of the King and King Kong
Old 04-13-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spielberg - Hook. Haven't seen it since its theatrical release, and the only movie of his that I didn't see more than once.
Old 04-13-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
There is a certain element of film-making called EDITING - something he began to neglect (or completely ignore) after the enormous success of Fellowship of the Ring in the theater and on dvd.

I do like parts of both films, but I was disappointed w/ the finished products as a whole.
Old 04-13-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kevin Smith-Jersey Girl
Hitchcock-Marnie
Trey Parker-hasn't made that many but I'd go with Cannibal the Musical since it wasn't completely him and a lot of those other excuses.
Burton-Planet of the Apes
GOrdon-Space Truckers
Craven-Scream 2
Jackson-loved almost everything but would probably go with Bad Taste for the same reason I said Cannibal.
Gilliam-Haven't seen Brothers Grimm yet so i guess my least favorite would be Fisher King
Mario Bava-Twitch of the death nerve(only seen maybe 7-8 films of his those).
Argento-Phantom of the Opera and Trauma
Carpenter-Villiage of the Damned
Lynch-Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me(normal complaints about this one i guess)
John Waters-Pink Flamingos(unpopular answer but didn't see what a lot of others saw).
Cameron-Terminator 2-again maybe an unpopular answer but to me it was cheesy crap. Furlong was horrible, great as eye candy I guess but thats it. Still enjoyed the first one more, even if the acting wasn't that much better.
Raimi-what was the baseball movie called-For the love of the game.

Last edited by paradicelost; 04-13-06 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-13-06, 11:40 PM

Brian DePalma-Casualties of War, despite solid perferomances by Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox.
Old 04-13-06, 11:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by B.A.
There is a certain element of film-making called EDITING - something he began to neglect (or completely ignore) after the enormous success of Fellowship of the Ring in the theater and on dvd.

I do like parts of both films, but I was disappointed w/ the finished products as a whole.
"editing" isn't about how long or how short, it's about the rhythm of time. don't judge a book by its TRT.
Old 04-14-06, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
"editing" isn't about how long or how short, it's about the rhythm of time. don't judge a book by its TRT.
Quoted for truth.
Old 04-14-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
I don't have a problem w/ a movie being long (or short for that matter) - I have a problem w/ a movie that has oodles of unnecessary sequences in it that should have been left on the editting room floor.
Old 04-14-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tarantino...

I love all of his movies. The least favorite? Probably his segment of Four Rooms.

= J
Old 04-14-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite director is easily Hitchcock. Topaz would the one I have no intention of watching again. (I love the "dress scene" though, that visual has stuck with me for some reason)
Old 04-14-06, 12:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by slavetotherave
Tony Scott - True Romance - Okay, I don't think it's his WORST movie, but I think it's his most overrated. I do like the movie and I own it, but I really feel like it gets more credit than it deserves. Ultimately, I feel like the movie is a hollow shell. The outer part of the movie is its style and the big actors and the quotable scenes. But inside, where the feeling is supposed to be, where it's all eventually supposed to mean something.. it's empty. By the time the movie is over, I don't love Christian Slater or Patricia Arquette. I have the same opinion of them as I did in the beginning, and are indifferent to their "true romance" which is not a true romance to me at all.
blasphemy!

QT = "Jackie Brown"
Mann = "Ali"
Spielberg = "A.I."
Scorsese = "Cape Fear" (1991) or "After Hours"
Romero = "The Crazies"
Woo = "Hard Target" or "Windtalkers"
Fincher = "Alien≥" ...though i didn't hate it.
Badham = "Another Stakeout" or "Bird on a Wire"
Jackson = "The Frighteners"
Cronenberg = "Spider"
Kubrick = "Eyes Wide Shut"
Cameron = (none that i have seen)
Crowe = "Singles" (if i had to pick one)
Jean-Pierre Jeunet = (none that i have seen)
Howard = "The Missing"
Raimi = "Darkman"
Besson = "The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc"
Francis Ford Coppola = "Tucker: The Man and His Dream"
Craven = "Vampire in Brooklyn" or "The Hills Have Eyes" (1977)
Lucas = "THX 1138"
Old 04-14-06, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Michael Mann's worst is Ali. I haven't seen The Keep or all of Thief however.
I haven't seen the Keep, but I also think Ali is his "worst". Which says what a great director he is, I think. It was so beautifully made (the cinematography, cutting, the music, the actors--wonderful to watch) that I didn't mind the lack of depth in the story. I loved the opening sequence, for example.

Originally Posted by scott1598
Raimi = "Darkman"
I actually like Darkman way more than his Spider-Man films...dark, not slick like Spider-Man, no fake-looking web-swinging, still has that campy Raimi signature, and a great Liam Neeson performance. More comic-booky than his Spidey films. Well, whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Egon's Ghost; 04-14-06 at 01:11 PM.