Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Could someone please explain Stay to me?

Old 04-10-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could someone please explain Stay to me?

Stay came in my Netflix today and I just finished watching it. I think I liked it lol but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. I have no idea what the movie was about or what really happened. Anyone care to explain? I feel weird since I usually get these types of movies without a problem.
Old 04-10-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=442275
Old 04-11-06, 12:50 AM
Banned

god i loved this film. it was brilliant and rewarding for those who pay close attention and you learn soemthing new with each new viewing. it was my favorite of last year and #10 on my all time.

that being said, spoilers:

Spoiler:

in a nutshell, the movie was henry's dream before dieing. he's laying on the floor and coming inand out of consciousness while the people are trying to resuscitate him, and all the while confusing his reality with his dream, or i suppose combining the two. so what he hears/sees in reality he's applying in in his dream. this is semi like jacob's ladder, but the big difference is jacob's ladder he continued to live his life in his dream, in this one he knows something is wrong but can't explain it. the film has a much deeper meaning in "forgiveness" which is a huge theme in the movie as well. if you have any questions, let me know and i'll try my best to explain.

also if the film really interested you, watch teh scene specific commentary with forster and his crew, they explain quite a bit, but not all. the one with forster and gosling isn't that great, gosling is kind of a weird cat.

Last edited by BellsOfWar; 04-11-06 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-11-06, 01:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

obviously you didn't watch the supplemental piece i co-wrote and edited, 'Departing Visions'. it's on the widescreen side of the disc and serves as a big spoiler.
Old 04-11-06, 01:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
obviously you didn't watch the supplemental piece i co-wrote and edited, 'Departing Visions'. it's on the widescreen side of the disc and serves as a big spoiler.
wow you did that? if you're serious it was really good. i wish it was a tad longer though but still good none the less.
Old 04-11-06, 03:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
wow you did that? if you're serious it was really good. i wish it was a tad longer though but still good none the less.
yeah, check the credits. Zak Forsman. and thank you. i wish fox had coughed up enough dough to make it more substantial too.
Old 04-12-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry Cygnet. No it was late and I had the movie from Netflix. I think I will probably pick it up since like I said I did like it.

Bellsofwar: that is pretty much what I thought. I think the order is more what threw me off a little. I think the other thing that confused me is I swear from the previews the movie was supposed to be about a slightly differant subject matter. Maybe I am confusing it with another movie, but I swear the previews teased at almost like a Lost Highway plot, where one persons switches his life with another.
Old 04-12-06, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
Sorry Cygnet. No it was late and I had the movie from Netflix. I think I will probably pick it up since like I said I did like it.

Bellsofwar: that is pretty much what I thought. I think the order is more what threw me off a little. I think the other thing that confused me is I swear from the previews the movie was supposed to be about a slightly differant subject matter. Maybe I am confusing it with another movie, but I swear the previews teased at almost like a Lost Highway plot, where one persons switches his life with another.
yeah the trailer did kinda look like the were switching...

Spoiler:
i'm not sure how much you picked up on it, but sam and henry were interchangable meaning sam was loosely based off of henry, henry somewhat wants a life like sam has in his dream. if you'll notice the camera angles alot of times henry and sam switch places sparatically, this is because they are more or less the same person and also why lila calls sam henry.