DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Most Effective Use of Music in a Movie? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/461886-most-effective-use-music-movie.html)

scott182 04-10-06 10:15 PM

Most Effective Use of Music in a Movie?

I'm sure this has been done before, but I just saw The New World this weekend and I don't think there could have possibly been a better musical choice than to use "Vorspiel" from Wagner's "Das Rheingold" in the scene where the English are sailing towards Virginia -- absolutely perfect.

Another one I always think of for some reason: "American Girl" by Tom Petty in The Silence of the Lambs?

More please.....?

Aetherus 04-11-06 03:18 AM

Speaking of Richard Wagner, Excalibur is rife with his music and are pefect fits throughout the movie. "Prelude to Parsifal" for Perceval (well duh) and the Grail scenes, "Prelude to Tristan and Isolde" for the Lancelot and Guinevere scenes, "Siegfried's Funeral and Final Scene from Gotterdammerung" for the opening and closing scenes of the movie.

"Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff is so overused in movies, but Excalibur is the only movie to use it effectively.

MASAMUNE2 04-11-06 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Aetherus
"Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff is so overused in movies, but Excalibur is the only movie to use it effectively.

I never get tired of hearing this one. Such an exciting song.

Hospitaller 04-11-06 09:28 AM

cliche I know, but the music/score in the original Psycho just seemed to be dead on (pardon the pun)

also the Basil Poledouris score from the original Conan movie is excellent in my opinion

enrage 04-11-06 09:34 AM

The use of the song "Yes! I Am a Long Way From Home" by Mogwai from the movie "Long Way Home"
Brief but good.

Giles 04-11-06 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hospitaller
cliche I know, but the music/score in the original Psycho just seemed to be dead on (pardon the pun)

and yet, the same score was brillantly redone for 'Re-Animator'

OwlAtHome 04-11-06 11:27 AM

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and 12 Monkeys come to mind.

One of my favorites is when 'Good Vibrations' plays in Vanilla Sky.

Filmmaker 04-11-06 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
One of my favorites is when 'Good Vibrations' plays in Vanilla Sky.

That's funny...I think that movie's use of songs is divine, some of the most inspired I've ever found in a film, but I thought that particular song was an odd, emotionally jarring exception...diff'rent strokes and all, I guess...

Mondo Kane 04-11-06 11:33 AM

Shaft!

AnonomusBob15 04-11-06 11:38 AM

I'll second Vanilla Sky, esp. Sigor Ros and Radiohead. Good Vibrations was great.

GoldenJCJ 04-11-06 11:51 AM

Don't Fear the Reaper at the beginning of The Stand

Aetherus 04-11-06 12:03 PM

also the Basil Poledouris score from the original Conan movie is excellent in my opinion
Basil Poledouris can write memorable thematic material: The final battle sequence in Conan the Barbarian, the canyon run in The Hunt for Red October, and the dropzone scene in Starship Troopers.

Alan Silvestri writes the quiet, introspective piano pieces rather well, as can be heard in Forrest Gump, and Contact. They are so innocent and child-like, I've actually used them as lullabys for my children when they were infants.

OldBoy 04-11-06 12:43 PM

just search music...

Great Scenes with Music
Music in Movies...
best music in movie...
Movies with good...

veritas878 04-11-06 12:44 PM

The opening credits of Reservoir Dogs immediately comes to mind as does the Layla montague in Goodfellas.

Numanoid 04-11-06 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598

Hey, you're learning. ;)

obzhagen 04-11-06 05:57 PM

...and the dropzone scene in Starship Troopers.

That scene always gets me too. Sends chills down my spine...

Sernov 04-11-06 06:14 PM

I like the techno beat in the background during Clarence's confrontation with Drexel in True Romance.

Sernov 04-11-06 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by veritas878
...as does the Layla montague in Goodfellas.

This is good stuff too

Nick Martin 04-11-06 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by scott182
I just saw The New World this weekend and I don't think there could have possibly been a better musical choice than to use "Vorspiel" from Wagner's "Das Rheingold" in the scene where the English are sailing towards Virginia -- absolutely perfect.

Replacing the film's original score...not fond of that.

scott182 04-11-06 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598

Thank you. I should've searched harder.

Another great one... "Tiny Dancer" from Almost Famous

dhmac 04-11-06 08:27 PM

Speaking of Richard Wagner, Excalibur is rife with his music and are pefect fits throughout the movie. "Prelude to Parsifal" for Perceval (well duh) and the Grail scenes, "Prelude to Tristan and Isolde" for the Lancelot and Guinevere scenes, "Siegfried's Funeral and Final Scene from Gotterdammerung" for the opening and closing scenes of the movie.

I would add that it's important to remember that the "O Fortuna" movement from "Carmina Burana" wasn't overused when Excalibur featured it in 1981. Only after Excalibur re-popularized this music was it then overused by other movies (and TV shows and commercials, etc., etc.) -- much like the Intro to Richard Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" was (and still is) severely overused after 2001: A Space Odyssey re-popularized it in 1968.

BigPete 04-11-06 09:31 PM

The End at the beginning of Apocalypse Now is fairly effective.

PopcornTreeCt 04-11-06 10:41 PM

Jeff Buckley's "Hallejulah" at the end of Lord of War is a good fit.

AJAX 04-12-06 06:05 AM

Mascagni's "Cavalaria Rusticana" for Raging Bull.

Filmmaker 04-12-06 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sernov
I like the techno beat in the background during Clarence's confrontation with Drexel in True Romance.

Just in case you care, that song is called "I Want Your Body (Instrumental Mix)" by Nymphomania. You can find it on a CD called "Big Hard Disk, Vol. 1". I bought it just for that track.