DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Is it just me, or will "the Wild" bomb...huge. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/461793-just-me-will-wild-bomb-huge.html)

valkyrie 04-09-06 10:32 PM

Is it just me, or will "the Wild" bomb...huge.

I don't get it. This movie looks like a less-funny, less heartwarming retread of Madagascar. I just don't see how it stands a chance, especially considering how well Ice Age is doing.

Anyone know the backstory on this one? Was this one of those Armageddon/Deep Impact or Dante's Peak/Volcano dual features that keep coming up? Did Buena Vista put this one on hold long enough to stay out of Madagascar's shadow and hope people didn't remember?

Anyway, I'm thinking this one wil surpass even Valiant in the bomb category. I like most of their CGI stuff, but they really need to make nice with Pixar and get back to work creating some good stuff. This just looks awful.

But...that's just my opinion...

Matthew Chmiel 04-09-06 10:49 PM

The bigger question is why isn't Disney pushing it? It's less than a week away and I've only seen one promotion on the Disney Channel.

Not only that, it seems the Weinsteins will rule the weekend with Scary Movie 4.

NatrlBornThrllr 04-09-06 10:54 PM

I haven't seen one promotion for this film.

Jackskeleton 04-09-06 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by valkyrie
I don't get it. This movie looks like a less-funny, less heartwarming retread of Madagascar. I just don't see how it stands a chance, especially considering how well Ice Age is doing.

Bugs life was a more-funny, more heartwarming version Ants. It's nothing new to have animation films be carbon copies of each other.

As for how well it'll do. I'm surprised it's not being pushed more also but it should have a decent box office draw if they twist it just right.

BellsOfWar 04-09-06 11:07 PM

i'm looking forward to the wild. i think it'll get at least $50 mil+. on that note, there are way to many kids movies coming out, and the only one i really wanna see is cars and happy feet.

Matthew Chmiel 04-09-06 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
i'm looking forward to the wild. i think it'll get at least $50 mil+. on that note, there are way to many kids movies coming out, and the only one i really wanna see is cars and happy feet.

And some of the kiddie films of late have been hugely enjoyable (more noteably Sky High and Curious George IMO).

Rogue588 04-09-06 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
And some of the kiddie films of late have been hugely enjoyable (more noteably Sky High and Curious George IMO).

Didn't see the first, but Curious George was good.

And, as far as "the Wild" is concerned, i'm satisfied with my Madagascar DVD...

The next animated flick that caught my eye is Dreamworks' "Hedge" flick. (and Cars, of course)

GoldenJCJ 04-09-06 11:43 PM

from browsing through Apples trailers page, it seems CGI animated films are all looking somewhat similar right now (at least in the near future):
-Over The Hedge
-The Wild
-Open Season
-Barnyard

mndtrp 04-09-06 11:51 PM

I was suprised at how similar to Madagascar this felt. Because of that, I'll probably put it very far down my rental page.

BellsOfWar 04-10-06 02:21 AM

shy high was great. haven't seen curious george. i was mainly referring to the upcoming ones being advertised, cars, happy feet, over the hedge, the wild, open season, r.v., hoot, garfield, monster house, barnyard, and the ant bully.

Autumn 04-10-06 06:48 AM

[QUOTE=valkyrie]

Anyone know the backstory on this one? Was this one of those Armageddon/Deep Impact or Dante's Peak/Volcano dual features that keep coming up? Did Buena Vista put this one on hold long enough to stay out of Madagascar's shadow and hope people didn't remember?

QUOTE]

From some info I read online, this project was developed first. Dreamworks went full-speed and Madagascar came out when The Wild was only 3/4 complete. There are a bunch of threads at IMDB, but I don't know how accurate and factual those are based on the people claiming to be involved.

I haven't seen Madagascar, but I'm looking forward to seeing this film. They say that a lot of improv was used to build the animated characters. Nigel, the koala voiced by Eddie Izzard, looks like he'll steal the film.

Groucho 04-10-06 06:52 AM

Finally, a CGI cartoon about a group of animals on a crazy adventure. Just what we needed!

Andalusia 04-10-06 07:57 AM

Wow, a new Disney flick opening next week and I've never even heard of it. How did they fuck that one up?

Dr. DVD 04-10-06 08:34 AM

It opens this weekend? Not very good job from the PR department. I knew what it was but didn't know the release date was upon us already.

iggystar 04-10-06 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I was suprised at how similar to Madagascar this felt. Because of that, I'll probably put it very far down my rental page.

Yes, so was I. I know that Hollywood likes to repeat similar themes, but goodness, this is almost an exact copy.

mdc3000 04-10-06 09:43 AM

I'm hoping this will be OK...Keifer Sutherland does a voice, so that is a plus. I thought Madagascar was pretty average/mediocre, and this looks like more of the same...maybe they'll surprise me and it'll be great... of note, it's directed by Steve "Spaz" Williams, who FX geek will remember from the CG work on Jurassic Park...

MATT

holygeeze 04-10-06 01:45 PM

The bigger question is why isn't Disney pushing it? It's less than a week away and I've only seen one promotion on the Disney Channel.

Trailers have been running since December. Commericals are everywhere. Posters and standees are up.

What more do you need? :)

Matthew Chmiel 04-10-06 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by holygeeze
Trailers have been running since December. Commericals are everywhere. Posters and standees are up.

What more do you need? :)

Where have they been running? The Bermuda Triangle?

BellsOfWar 04-10-06 03:51 PM

we have them all ovr our theatre and i had to put them on all 4 prints of ice age 2 as well as other movies so there is marketing for it, we also have a standee up for it and a poster.

paradicelost 04-10-06 03:57 PM

I know when i get stuck watching the disney channel for my kids, they seem to run the spot every chance they get. It has to be once every break. It still doesn't seem very bright to limit the ads to the Disney Channel though.

mongoco 04-10-06 05:00 PM

Shark Tale did pretty well even after Finding Nemo.

JustInsane 04-10-06 05:35 PM

I don't really class this as a Disney movie since Disney didn't make it. It was made by Core up in Toronto and I believe Disney is just doing distribution for it, the same as what they did for Valient.

Jay G. 04-10-06 09:13 PM

If it's not from Pixar, then whatever studio distributes the film gets the credit. Thus Madagascar is not a PDI film, but a Dreamworks film. Ice Age is not from Blue Sky, but from Fox.

Note that this is not how I view these films, just how I think the public views them. Although I must admit I didn't know the true origins of The Wild until now, since until now I'll I've seen is Disney's name plastered all over it.

Matthew Chmiel 04-10-06 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by mongoco
Shark Tale did pretty well even after Finding Nemo.

However, DreamWorks blitzed the hell out of Shark Tale.

If Disney is just distributing the film in the states, similar to Valient, I can see why they're not pushing the film. They're probably not getting much money off it (which may be the case). However, the CGI animation looks pretty stellar from what I've seen.

maingon 04-11-06 09:12 AM

some one mentioned "Over the hedge". thats the one I am looking forward to the most seems like a really good movie. cant wait for that one