Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw 12 Monkeys for the first time - Question on ending

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just saw 12 Monkeys for the first time - Question on ending

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by greydt
It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but wasn't the point of the female scientist going back to the past not to actually intercept the case (and stop the plague), but to get a sample of the virus in it's initial stage (before it mutates) in order to create a cure for the people in the future?
Indeed. There'd be no point to intercepting the case anyway - Morse opens one of the vials in the airport when security asks about it.
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
2. I DONT think though, that there is a happy ending. There seems to be NO way for someone to bring a virus sample back to the future. You have to be naked.
She could contract said virus.
Old 04-12-06, 02:16 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joeblow69
It's been a long time since I've seen this, but didn't the security guy at the airport force virus guy to open one of his test tubes to verify it was "empty"? Isn't that how the virus got released? So they clearly didn't stop the virus from destroying the world.

Exactly. It's just a loop the repeats infinitely due to the time travel with nothing every changing.

Scott talks about the loop idea a bit in some of the documentaries etc. on the collectors edition. (i.e. the 12 monkeys logo being circular etc. are hints).
Old 04-12-06, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that Gilliam said in the documentary on the DVD that it was a happy ending, because the scientist would be able to get a sample. I think he also said that a lot of people either didn't recognize the scientist or didn't understand why she was there and therefore thought that it was a sad ending with Willis's character dying without completing his mission.
Old 04-13-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by GrimTangent
I believe that Gilliam said in the documentary on the DVD that it was a happy ending, because the scientist would be able to get a sample. I think he also said that a lot of people either didn't recognize the scientist or didn't understand why she was there and therefore thought that it was a sad ending with Willis's character dying without completing his mission.

I was one of them who thought she was just a woman who coincidentally looked like the scientist from the future and that Willis failed. Interesting that she indeed was the scientist, but that opens up the whole "How did they get the virus back for a cure" debate.
Old 04-13-06, 10:27 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember Gilliam being coy about admitting the line the scientist said was important. He kind of said it was ad-libbed but I think he is just propagating debate over his film.

When Willis was sent to 199? before getting to 1996 he said he wasnt trying to change the past, everyone was already dead and he couldnt do anything about them.