DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Acting Extremities- "Crazy Actors" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/461593-acting-extremities-crazy-actors.html)

MASAMUNE2 04-07-06 09:03 PM

Acting Extremities- "Crazy Actors"

Let's name some examples where actors do extreme things for the sake of the movie.

I.e.

Christian Bale who starved himself down to a 110 (?) pound skeleton for 'The Machinist'

If you could be as specific as possible that would be even cooler too. Like I'm not sure what Bale's specific weight was. Listing his height would be helpful too.

Premise 04-07-06 10:41 PM

Gwyneth Paltrow gained all of that weight just to be in Shallow Hal. ;)

JumpCutz 04-07-06 10:51 PM

The textbook example being DeNiro's 60 pound weight gain for 'Raging Bull'.
Vincent D'Onfrio supposedly gained 70 pounds for FMJ.
Edward Norton getting pretty ripped for 'American History X'.

I think Bale's transformation is the most jaw-dropping.

GoldenJCJ 04-07-06 10:59 PM

I heard rumors that Nicolas Cage removed a tooth for a film role but for what film I don't know.

of a lesser extent, Jim Carrey removed a cap on his front tooth for Dumb and Dumber

clayg 04-08-06 12:35 AM

Matt Damon lost 40lbs for his role in Courage Under Fire. The weight loss caused him to become sick and he had to be put under medical supervision for several months. That's pretty crazy.

gryffinmaster 04-08-06 12:48 AM

Russell Crowe's fluctuating weight is pretty amazing - from gaining weight for The Insider to trimming down for Gladiator; then, once again, he gained for Master and Commander and then trimmed down for Cinderella Man. :up: Dedicated.

MartinBlank 04-08-06 12:55 AM

I heard they shot The People vs. Larry Flynt backwards, starting when Courney Love loved heroin and finishing up with her coming clean. ;)

DonnachaOne 04-08-06 01:11 AM

Not sure if this fits, but I think it's interesting.

Melvin Van Peebles contracted gonorrhea from one of the actresses during filming of one of the sex scenes in the movie. He applied for compensation from the Directors Guild because he "got hurt on the job" and used the money to buy more film.

Perkinsun Dzees 04-08-06 04:11 AM

Nicolas Cage ate a cockroach for VAMPIRE'S KISS
Divine ate dog s*it for PINK FLAMINGOES.

And here's something I just learned:
Jackie Chan does his own stunts.

JaxComet 04-08-06 09:59 AM

-Tom Hanks weight loss for Cast Away

-Steve Carell getting his gorilla like chest waxed for real in The 40 Year Old Virgin :eek:

bhk 04-08-06 11:10 AM

Ben Kingsley really starved on the set of Gandhi. Laurence Olivier told him "My boy, just acting it is so much easier."

DonnachaOne 04-08-06 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
Ben Kingsley really starved on the set of Gandhi. Laurence Olivier told him "My boy, just acting it is so much easier."

well...

Originally Posted by Trivia for Marathon Man
A story circulated for a long time that Dustin Hoffman (being a "method actor") stayed up all night to play a character who has stayed up all night. Arriving on the set, Laurence Olivier asked him why he looked they way he did. Hoffman told him, to which Olivier replied in jest: "Why not try acting? It's much easier." Dustin Hoffman repeatedly denied the story, and finally cleared up the story in 2004. The torture scene was filmed early in the morning, Hoffman was going through a divorce from his first wife and was depressed, and had spend the previous two nights partying hard. Hoffman told Olivier this and his comment related to his lifestyle and not his "method" style of acting.

j123vt_99 04-08-06 08:09 PM

who was the chick that blew the guy in brown bunny

Robert 04-08-06 08:24 PM

According to the IMDB Robert De Niro had a dentist "degrade" his teeth for his role in The Untouchables so it would match that of the 1930's. He subsequently had them put back to normal.

I dont know what exactly went into this but it sounds pretty extreme to me.

onebyone 04-08-06 08:39 PM

Vincent D'Onofrio gained like 75 pounds for "Full Metal Jacket" and 45 for "The Salton Sea."

OwlAtHome 04-08-06 09:01 PM

I heard Tom Cruise didn't know he was in Interview With A Vampire until two years later.

fmian 04-09-06 08:15 AM

The actors on Platoon all went on a proper army boot camp to prep for the movie, and the actors ended up hating each other like they do in the movie cause they had to try and behave like their characters the whole time.

bhk 04-09-06 01:22 PM

well...
:lol:
I got my stories mixed up.

FantasticVSDoom 04-10-06 08:04 AM

I gained 50 pounds for my wedding to portray the "before" version of me in my 2000 "wedding story"...