Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

whos gets the ticket money? who gets the consession stand money?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-06-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i always thought the people who made the movie get the ticket sales while the movie theater makes their money with their overpaid popcorn and soda but someone recently told me its the opposite. which is it? anyone know?
Old 04-06-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your friend is wrong.

In general, the theaters get ALL concessions, ALL pre-movie "advertisements", and about half of ticket sales.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060105-5905.html

The % of ticket sales that has to go back to the studios changes, based on how long a film has been out, generally:
"During the film's opening week, the studio might take 70 to 80 percent of gross box office sales. By the fifth or sixth week, the percentage the studio takes will likely shrink to about 35 percent, said Steven Krams, president of International Cinema Equipment Co."

Also, studios pay theater chains for previews.

(source for last two statements: http://money.cnn.com/2002/03/08/smbusiness/q_movies/ )

IBJS

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 04-06-06 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and I believe studios get about 80% of dvd sales. Now I can see why they make so many re-release dvds and try to get them out so quickly.
Old 04-06-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
and I believe studios get about 80% of dvd sales. Now I can see why they make so many re-release dvds and try to get them out so quickly.

I'm not following, you were thinking that theaters were getting a take on dvd sales too?
Old 04-06-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by madara
I'm not following, you were thinking that theaters were getting a take on dvd sales too?
No, I'd assume the stores got the other 20 percent.
Old 04-06-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Movie theaters get all the concession stand money, thus the reason it's overpriced.

According to my friend who used to be the manager of a movie theater here, it only cost the company around .75 cents for a large soda that they charged five dollars for.
Old 04-06-06, 03:46 PM
Banned

i work at a theatre and this is how it goes

concession = 100% to the theatre

ticket sales vary depending on movie and distributor, but opening week, theatres get around 5% or less (usually less) as the weeks go it increases, i(for example) opening week 3%, then 3%, then 5%, then 7%, then 10%, then 15%, i', not sure how far it'll go (i forgot) but the theatres love "word of mouth movies" where the theatres get packed months after the movie was released, i.e. my big fat greek wedding. all the stipulations are agreed on prior to release in a contract from the studio.
Old 04-06-06, 03:48 PM
Banned

theatre get the majority of money from concession and ads placement on movie's.
Old 04-06-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madara
uh....no

I added that since we were talking about % of profits. Since studios get most of dvds sales no matter how long they've been out, I'm thinking they may keep an eye on those profits moreso than theater grosses. Even though I'm sure they're just as greedy about theater profits.
Old 04-06-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Movie theaters get all the concession stand money, thus the reason it's overpriced.

According to my friend who used to be the manager of a movie theater here, it only cost the company around .75 cents for a large soda that they charged five dollars for.
Probably less than that, once you amortize the cost of the dispenser. When I ran a convenience store, my biggest soft drink cost was--the cups. Ice was reasonably cheap, and Coke syrup cost about 50 bucks for 5 gallons of syrup, which lasted about a month-2 months. And you could get hundreds of drinks out of one syrup box, more if they used lots of ice. In the six months I was there, there were one or two syrup boxes I never changed.

So it seems theatres like long-lasting word of mouth movies, but the filmmakers like big-opening-weekend movies.
Old 04-06-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
uh....no

I added that since we were talking about % of profits. Since studios get most of dvds sales no matter how long they've been out, I'm thinking they may keep an eye on those profits moreso than theater grosses. Even though I'm sure they're just as greedy about theater profits.
What is a big opening weekend but a big commercial for the DVD release in a few months??
Old 04-07-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since the studio never gets 100% of ticket sales, I'll never understand why certain movies generate passionate posts quoting a movie's total box office take as proof it didn't bomb. Everybody gets a percentage - and don't forget the cost spent to market a film. And the longer a movie plays, the more the theater gets. So I often think box office isn't a very good indicator at all about how well a movie performed.

I wonder if there are statistics as to how many tickets a movie sold? That would seem like a much better way to gauge a movie's success rather than showing King Kong made $200 million versus Gone with the Wind's $1 million. (Not sure if those statistics are right because I made them up.)
Old 04-07-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stop for candy before the flick.............
Old 04-07-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rennervision
I wonder if there are statistics as to how many tickets a movie sold? That would seem like a much better way to gauge a movie's success rather than showing King Kong made $200 million versus Gone with the Wind's $1 million. (Not sure if those statistics are right because I made them up.)
Oddly enough, that's how some foreign countries keep track of BO (France comes to mind right away, but they're not alone). It would make sense, but the weekend box office game, which actually get play on legitomate newscasts every weekend, has become a major part of movie marketing, so I don't see a change ever coming.
Old 04-07-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I worked at the theatre it was concessions are completly for the theater and movie tickets, the theatre makes 50 cents off each ticket sold.

When I was working there the theater refused to show dreamworks movies because they wanted all the proceeds.

And it doesnt cost the theater 75 cents for a large soda it costs them like 7.

So heres the million dollar question, who makes money off of the ads before the movie shows? Is it the theatre or the studios? Who should we send letters to?
Old 04-07-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would think that is all the theater's money. You don't know what ads are going to play, so you don't see a movie for that; that's the theater selling 'captive audiences' to local advertisers.
Old 04-08-06, 02:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
When I worked at the theatre it was concessions are completly for the theater and movie tickets, the theatre makes 50 cents off each ticket sold.

When I was working there the theater refused to show dreamworks movies because they wanted all the proceeds.

And it doesnt cost the theater 75 cents for a large soda it costs them like 7.

So heres the million dollar question, who makes money off of the ads before the movie shows? Is it the theatre or the studios? Who should we send letters to?
i answered that. the theater company gets multimillion dollar contracts to play certain ads before the movie.
Old 04-08-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ads, or previews? Movie previews, sure, but what about the ads?
Old 04-08-06, 09:26 AM

I've never understood why people are dumb enough to pay such ridiculous prices for crappy snacks.
Old 04-08-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"I've never understood why people are dumb enough to pay such ridiculous prices for crappy snacks."

Convenience. People aren't dumb, they just don't mind paying the premium to have food ready and available, instead of trying to smuggle things in like a 15 year old. Granted, this is overpriced, but that doesn't mean people are stupid for paying it.
Old 04-08-06, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Ads, or previews? Movie previews, sure, but what about the ads?
movie previews are assigned by the stuidos. theatre have no control over that. the ads (or commercials if you wanna call them that) are paid for by the company who wants to show there ad.
Old 04-08-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Palpadious
I've never understood why people are dumb enough to pay such ridiculous prices for crappy snacks.
The same reason people will pay 1-2 bucks for a cold 20ounce soft drink at an amusement park. Or, for that matter, why people pay 1.25-2.50 or a soft drink at a restaurant.
Old 04-08-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dtcarson
The same reason people will pay 1-2 bucks for a cold 20ounce soft drink at an amusement park. Or, for that matter, why people pay 1.25-2.50 or a soft drink at a restaurant.
1-2 bucks at a amusement park? which park is that? seems always higher (even worse at sporting events).
Old 04-08-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, yeah. Last time I went to an amusement park [in the last century] I recall seeing a vending machine that cost 2.00. Buying them at a counter is even more, 3-6 bucks. I went to a concert, and this was quite a ways back, where tickets were 8 bucks, but two beers cost 9.00. Granted, beer is usually more than soft drinks, but the idea of a captive audience paying premium prices for convenience is still obvious.