DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Formulamatic movies (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/461152-formulamatic-movies.html)

Yeti4623 04-04-06 07:56 AM

Formulaic movies

What are some formulaic, completely unoriginal, by the numbers movies, that somehow still work for you?

taa455 04-04-06 08:13 AM

Underdog prevails! - The Karate Kid, Rocky, Rudy, Hoosiers

Very formulamatic, but I love them.

Y2K Falcon 04-04-06 08:17 AM

The word is "<a href = 'http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=formulaic'>formulaic</a>".

Yeti4623 04-04-06 08:19 AM

I knew the word looked too long, but google acted like it was right, lol.

Giantrobo 04-04-06 08:19 AM

Godzilla movies and Kaiju(Giant monster genre) flims in general. Most are just ok, the plots are cookie cutter, and I can't get enough of them.

Yeti4623 04-04-06 08:28 AM

"Fear" is pretty good, even it's completely unmemorable (except for the rollarcoaster scene), and "Fatal Attraction" lite.

chess 04-04-06 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
I knew the word looked too long, but google acted like it was right, lol.

Somehow, in this case, formulamatic seems to work.

Sort of like a Gallagher name for the film industry. And now...presenting the FORMULAMATIC....it slices it dices...it edits for content...opening on 55 bazillion screens near you for the low low price of $59.99 with two free buckets of popcorn with or without artificially butter-flavored grease and enough soda to burst the bladder of an oliphant.

I'm sure I have more than a few guilty pleasures in the cookie cutter genre. Recently, the Rock's movies come to mind. The Rundown and Walking Tall were both pretty standard fare, but I enjoyed them both.

HN 04-04-06 11:43 AM

Speed was formulatastic (following the Die Hard mold)

GoldenJCJ 04-04-06 11:45 AM

Most slasher flicks are formulaic...in fact most are pretty bad, but I still enjoy watching them.

Egon's Ghost 04-04-06 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by HN
Speed was formulatastic (following the Die Hard mold)

Yeah, but it sure did it well! One of the last action movies I really enjoyed, so put Speed on this list.

HN 04-04-06 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Yeah, but it sure did it well! One of the last action movies I really enjoyed, so put Speed on this list.

oh. my post about Speed was an approval :thumbsup:

NatrlBornThrllr 04-05-06 06:11 AM

Any movie that's been written by Paul Haggis. Oh wait, formulaic movies that I enjoy? Hm, well that question is a lot harder..

I enjoy me some Michael Bay from time to time.
I like a lot of formulaic teen comedies. American Pie comes to mind.
I can stomach most Ron Howard in moderation.
Most biopics and "based on a true-" stories are formulaic, but I like 'em.
Tony Scott.
Enduring Love.
I love love love grindhouse movies (old kung-fu, exploitation, and westerns).
I love the underdog movies too, including those mentioned by taa455.
Cheesy 80's comedy.
Most of Spielberg's cheesey outings.
There've been quite a few chick flicks that I found enjoyable on some level.

...well that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I have a lot of guilty pleasures, but I very rarely watch a movie and fail to enjoy the experience. I can be critically discerning if necessary, but for the most part I just like watching movies no matter how paint-by-numbers they may be.

I guess what I hate is when a formulaic movie pretends to be something special.

-JP

Fincher Fan 04-06-06 03:57 AM

Recently, Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

DRG 04-06-06 05:16 PM

I second slasher movies, especially from the early 80s. I love the formula, and the only slasher movies I dislike are the ones that are just plain boring, or deviate too far from the formula in an uninteresting way, or feel too junky/shot-on-video (stuff like Bloody Murder).

A majority of the James Bond movies are formulaic, but I still enjoy them.

chess 04-06-06 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Recently, Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

:up:

...and I thought it was just me. I f'ing love that flick!