DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Please recommend a Straight-to-video Steven Seagal movie (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/461126-please-recommend-straight-video-steven-seagal-movie.html)

Cardiac161 04-03-06 11:24 PM

Please recommend a Straight-to-video Steven Seagal movie

Can anyone recommend the best "post-big-star-now-straight-to-video, country-singing, slightly-obese, one-day-Buddhist-the-next-day-Native-American" Steven Seagal's film released on dvd that wasn't released theatrically (not in North America anyway)?

I checked IMDB and saw the following:

2003 - The Foreigner, Out for a Kill, Belly of the Beast
2004 - Out of Reach, Clementine
2005 - Into the Sun, Submerged, Today You Die, Black Dawn

I noticed Seagal made a lot more films as a B-actor than when he was in his "Under Siege" days. In fact, I think he's got 4 coming out this year!!!

jaeufraser 04-03-06 11:34 PM

I have to say, I'm having a hard time coming up with anything to recommend.

Legolas 04-04-06 12:37 AM

I think Black Dawn is the sequel to The Foreigner if you want a double feature. :) But I haven't seen a Seagal movie since... The Glimmer Man? Might have to watch Under Siege 3 if it ever gets made though.

I'm told some of Van Damme's straight-to-video movies are actually among his best works... if that's even saying anything.

NatrlBornThrllr 04-04-06 06:45 AM

Sorry, no can do.

matome 04-04-06 07:58 AM

I loved most of Seagal's Warner movies and gave his DTV's a chance, but I pretty much stopped at Belly of The Beast. Same old, same old that always takes place in Bulgaria or somewhere you can make a movie for a couple of grand. Now he's just totally embarrassing himself

chess 04-04-06 09:21 AM

I'm proud to say that I've never seen a single Steven Seagal movie...not one...not ever.

stinkeye 04-04-06 02:37 PM

Personally, I like any of them that use extreme close ups, obvious stunt doubles, and even another dude's voice for when Segal was too lazy to dub his own.....wait, I think I just described all of them.

You might want to check DVDTalk's review database, where brave souls have dared to review most of those in your list...

zombiezilla 04-04-06 09:03 PM

...must...resist...the threadcrap... ..........................AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..........AAAIIIIIIIIIE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spring Roll 04-04-06 10:50 PM

Into the Sun has a great finale, swordfights and all.
The rest of the movie sucked ass.

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
Can anyone recommend the best "post-big-star-now-straight-to-video, country-singing, slightly-obese, one-day-Buddhist-the-next-day-Native-American" Steven Seagal's film released on dvd that wasn't released theatrically (not in North America anyway)?

I checked IMDB and saw the following:

2003 - The Foreigner, Out for a Kill, Belly of the Beast
2004 - Out of Reach, Clementine
2005 - Into the Sun, Submerged, Today You Die, Black Dawn

I noticed Seagal made a lot more films as a B-actor than when he was in his "Under Siege" days. In fact, I think he's got 4 coming out this year!!!

GoldenJCJ 04-04-06 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Legolas
I think Black Dawn is the sequel to The Foreigner if you want a double feature. :) But I haven't seen a Seagal movie since... The Glimmer Man?

beat me. I haven't seen a seagal flick since Under Siege

Recommend a straight to video seagal flick?
hell, I'd be hard pressed to recommend any seagal flick at all.

basaro 04-05-06 12:47 AM

Sorry, can't recommend anything either, the thread title made me laugh though! :lol: I haven't seen a seagal film since the 80's when I liked shitty action flicks.

toddly6666 10-20-07 07:16 PM

Supposedly, Urban Justice is supposed to be his best DTV movie.

I have a question: has Steven Seagal ever had an equal akido challenge? I can't really picture him fighting anyone too long. Did he ever get his ass kick in a fight?

forumsmy 10-20-07 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by chess
I'm proud to say that I've never seen a single Steven Seagal movie...not one...not ever.

You do not know what you are missing :lol:

DVDMagic 10-21-07 07:09 AM

Now see, Seagal was "da bomb" back in the day :lies: Seriously I actually used to enjoy his movies right up until about Under Siege I guess. The alst one I saw him in, and I can't remember the name of it, was the one that had Dennis Hopper in with an awful Irish accent.

movielib 10-21-07 08:35 AM

Under Siege is good and the sequel is OK. Executive Decision is good but it's not really a Steven Seagal movie..

Spoiler:
It is fun to see him exit so early, though. :lol:

I can't think of anything else that doesn't stink and I haven't seen one in years. I haven't even heard of most of those DTV titles.

DRG 10-21-07 02:46 PM

Back in the early 90s my friends and I used to argue over who was better: Seagal or Van Damme. Turns out we were all wrong.

Linn1 10-21-07 03:28 PM

That's a shame...

Originally Posted by chess

as you've missed a couple of good movies. Above the Law, Hard to Kill (which should have stayed under it's original title Seven Year Storm) and Under Siege are good flicks.

Zbu 10-21-07 06:46 PM

My advice? Anything that has him wearing those faux Indian jackets isn't something you want to see (as they're trying to cover up his bulk). If he's wearing black, at least you know he tried and....

I'm sorry, I can't help myself. I haven't seen any of them, even if they came on TV. At this point, I don't even know any of the flicks even if I see them in the Wal-Mart cheap bin. I guess I should indulge.

chris_sc77 10-21-07 07:19 PM

I loved Dragon Heat. One of the best action movies I've seen in years. Seagal isnt even in it (definitely a plus) but he produced it and I was surprised that I actually enjoyed the hell outta something he had his name attached to...
As far as something that he starred in I cant help with that. I havn't seen a Seagal flick since Exit Wounds which has some pretty good action, some pretty bad acting, and some pretty offensive stereotypes.

UAIOE 10-22-07 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Linn1
as you've missed a couple of good movies. Above the Law, Hard to Kill (which should have stayed under it's original title Seven Year Storm) and Under Siege are good flicks.

There is no point in watching his other movies as you have named his best.

He peaked with "Under Siege"...one of the best action movies of the 1990's.

thelwig14 10-22-07 02:21 AM

Best DTV movie I have seen from past action stars is easily Van Damme's Until Death. Really not a bad movie at all. From Hell is 2nd.

stingermck 10-22-07 08:17 AM

Ahhh. I tried to resist clicking this thread, cause I knew it would be full of hate :)

But I still like Seagal, and still check out his DTV movies. So I would recommend:

Today you Die, and Into the Sun, which benefited from a nice Asian setting.

Also if you like Van Damme, Until Death is a must.

Charlie Goose 10-22-07 08:32 AM

Never seen one of his DTV flicks, but I liked Under Siege, and loved Under Siege 2 and Out for Justice.

Smithers 10-22-07 08:41 AM

I like that one movie when he beats the crap out of EVERYONE.