Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's wrong with the movie industry?

Old 04-03-06, 12:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

What's wrong with the movie industry?

Is it me or are the things coming out of it just making you sick? I have been watching some truly great movies of late and wondering when we will ever see caliber of movies like them again, if ever. Where's the originality and the balls to the walls, go for broke, truly spectacular cinema? Where's the thrillers of the late 80's-90's? The blockbusters that don't need 3,000 screens to turn a profit? Of course, there have been some that are destined to become classics of late, but back then it seemed we had a couple each year and no, not just the ones that are Oscar worthy.

I just watched "Seven" (1995) and though I wasn't ecstatic the first time i saw it in the theaters, i watched it again with renewed enthusiasm and thought when was the last time a movie like this came out? or "Fight Club" or "True Romance" or "Memento" or "Goodfellas" or... . Now, they weren't all blockbusters, but that is not what I am talking about, I am talking about the ones we still talk about 10-15 years after they were made because they made such deep impressions and actually stayed with you more than the 15 minutes after the credits rolled.

Is the movie industry dried out? What do you think?
Old 04-03-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a thread like this every year.. there's plenty of good movies with the crap, always has been always will be.
Old 04-03-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well since a great movie like V for Vendetta just came out, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the industry. LOTS of movies coming out I want to see.
Old 04-03-06, 12:20 PM

I agree with the OP...there hasn't been much that has caught my interest like the films mentioned. That's just my taste, I guess. Most of the things I've been watching on DVD are from before 1980, or they aren't American.
Old 04-03-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rings Trilogy?
Spider-man & 2?
Batman Begins?
Vendetta?
Donnie Darko?
Matrix Trilogy?
Sin City?
Anything Pixar?

All were memorable (at least for me) and recent. If you get 2-3 memorable movies in a year, that's doing pretty good. 1999 must've had 15.
Old 04-03-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by chess
Rings Trilogy?
Spider-man & 2?
Batman Begins?
Vendetta?
Donnie Darko?
Matrix Trilogy?
Sin City?
Anything Pixar?

All were memorable (at least for me) and recent. If you get 2-3 memorable movies in a year, that's doing pretty good. 1999 must've had 15.
agree people act like all movies now days are crappy but theres are tons of good ones such like..

V for Vendetta
Munich
The New World
King Kong
Syriana
History of Violence
war of the worlds
lord of war
40 year old virgin
batman begins
Sin City
Garden State
Brokeback mountin
Crash
aviator
Kill Bill Volume 2
Lost in translation
collatoral

thats just a few I could think of. I think movies today are just as strong as they ever were. People always bring up old classics and how movies were so good back then etc. But there were as many bad movies during any period as there is today.
Old 04-03-06, 02:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i never said there were none. but the ones you all mentioned with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions will never be held in the "cult-ish" regard as my op.
Old 04-03-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
i never said there were none. but the ones you all mentioned with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions will never be held in the "cult-ish" regard as my op.
according to whom? you?

I liked all of the movies in your OP, but only two have held up all that well for me (the two Fincher films). Further, the movies in your OP aren't that old. Fight Club came out in 1999...just a smidge over 5 years ago. We're not exactly talking classic films here. Check back in 10 years and see who cares about Memento.
Old 04-03-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fight Club came out in 1999...just a smidge over 5 years ago.
Closer to 6 1/2 years ago (Oct '99 - Apr '06). That said, A History of Violence, imho, fit the bill the best of the above mentioned movies. Slither almost fits the bill (though for a different reason). Anywho, the movie indstry goes through dry spells, and you generally rely on specific directors to deliver the goods. And anyway, most of the OPs movies are fairly recent (Memento was a 2000 release but didn't see wide distribution til well into 2001), added with Requiem for a Dream, Waking Life, Mulholland Drive, and Donnie Dark account for 2000 and 2001. Alright, so it's been 5 years now.

Very few titles reach the status you're reaching for, looking back there's only a handful of such flicks each decade, and the '00s are doing pretty damn good on that note. With the impending release of movies like The Fountain, A Scanner Darkly, and Renaissance (alright, so thats french) - they may be style over substance - but they're bound to be fairly memorable affairs. Plus, the foreign market has been doing a good job of filling the niche for the time being (as I still mutter on about Oldboy, 3-iron, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, and work not done by Chan-wook park or Ki-duk Kim).

Last edited by RichC2; 04-03-06 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 03:32 PM

I think there are as many great movies coming out now as there were before.

Here is a list of the recent movies that I think are fantastic: The Family Man, Signs, V For Vendetta, 28 Days Later, K-PAX, The Terminal, Black Hawk Down, Shaun of the Dead, Pirates of the Caribbean, Underworld, About Schmidt, Charlie and the Chocalate Factory, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and Sin City.

Here is a list of semi-recent movies that I think are fantastic: The Truman Show, Cube, The Green Mile, The Postman, Donnie Darko, Fight Club, The Sixth Sense, Gattaca, Fargo, and Dark City.
Old 04-03-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Movies can't approach cult status so shortly after their release; they need to stew a bit in the collective subconscious before they appear to be infallible works of art.
Old 04-03-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought 2005 had a significant amount of good movies. A huge improvement over 2004, which I thought was just okay.
Old 04-03-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you only look at mainstream Hollywood films that open on 1,000's of screens, then there is a definite lack of originality and risk-taking in the films being released, especially when it comes to more mature, adult oriented material.

However, if you look deeper, you will see some really good original films being made, they are just a little harder to find. The majority of films I have enjoyed over the past few years have been put out by independent studios.
Old 04-03-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
Now, they weren't all blockbusters, but that is not what I am talking about, I am talking about the ones we still talk about 10-15 years after they were made because they made such deep impressions and actually stayed with you more than the 15 minutes after the credits rolled.
"Sin City", "History of Violence", "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang", "Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2", "Matrix Trilogy", "Training Day", "Collateral", "Session 9", "Frailty", "Equilibrium", "Cypher", "A.I. Artificial Intelligence", "Salton Sea", "Panic Room", "Mulholland Dr.", "Donnie Darko", "Black Hawk Down", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", "Ghost World", "Requiem for a Dream", etc., etc...
Old 04-03-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

purplechoe is an absolute genius.
Old 04-03-06, 06:06 PM
Retired

As others have said, there have been plenty of great movies in recent years. I though the best picture oscar nominees last year were one of the strongest group of nominees in a long time. Not to mention other great flicks like A History of Violence, Batman Begins, Sin City, etc.

Movies are doing just fine IMO.
Old 04-03-06, 07:00 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Well, it's a growing problem ... most plots and themes have been done before. And plenty of cinephiles and filmmakers try to do one of two things: 1) tackle familiar themes from the past and add different, creative spins, or 2) stretch their minds stringently and drudge up those unique, new themes that are, often times, extremely successful.

Just like the '30s through the '90s, there are bright stars and dull fizzles alike. But original concepts are still definitely rising to the occasion. The above posters have already revered a great number of modern accomplishments (Eternal Sunshine, Mulholland Dr., Kill Bill, Garden State, A History of Violence and recently Inside Man, V for Vendetta, etc. etc.).

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Movies are doing just fine IMO.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 04-03-06 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 07:36 PM
Cool New Member

oh u fun here... Matrix Trilogy great? WTF, whats next. maybe Blade Trilogy... Batman Begins & both Spideys? man u've got a rotten taste!!! collatoral, King Kong, Crash - plz kill me i'm still breathin'!!!

Okay, maybe i was too harsh on the Academy winner, but others... WTF was the idea of BB and Spiderman-movies (saving the day, crushin' bad guys? Oh yeah thats a fantastic phylosophy!). collatoral just a freaky action movie, and the big monkey.... plz... Matrix (the first one was great - somekinda breakthrough, it was a classy movie but someone just had to make more money and f**k up everything and made second and third (especcially third) parts. Thats sucks, man!!!
Old 04-03-06, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by purplechoe
"Sin City"...
I frankly don't understand why so many like Sin City...I thought it was rather pedestrian and could not, no matter how hard it tried, reproduce the bad-ass over-the-top-ness of the comics. Just because they stick to the comic so closely doesn't mean it will be a good movie. Comics are not moves and have their own story-telling ways. Well, that's one person's opinion.

I'm sorry, but the Spider-Mans? Oh boy...

Collateral and Eternal Sunshine were probably the last American films that reminded me why cinema is my favorite story-telling medium. Mulholland Drive was simply divine. I've heard someone say that it was (at that time) the best American movie in 10 years and I think I agree; one of the very few cinematic experiences that I can say was hallucinatory. To me, that's what "pure cinema" is.

And put me in the "Kong-lover" column; that was pure cinematic joy for me. I felt like a kid again! Truly one of the most exciting, visceral, and poignant movies I've seen in a long time.

And while we're just voicing opinions, Matrix is a classic, just because of how influential it was (and a fun movie), but I think Cronenberg's Existenz is more interesting and clever, in spite of all of Matrix's shallow pop philosophising.

AND Kill Bill was fucking brilliant, and I would say, almost, just almost, that it was Tarantino's finest hour.

Last edited by Egon's Ghost; 04-03-06 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by stuntman
collatoral just a freaky action movie
Well, I've heard everything now.....what can I say
Old 04-03-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oh u fun here... Matrix Trilogy great? WTF, whats next. maybe Blade Trilogy... Batman Begins & both Spideys? man u've got a rotten taste!!! collatoral, King Kong, Crash - plz kill me i'm still breathin'!!!

Okay, maybe i was too harsh on the Academy winner, but others... WTF was the idea of BB and Spiderman-movies (saving the day, crushin' bad guys? Oh yeah thats a fantastic phylosophy!). collatoral just a freaky action movie, and the big monkey.... plz... Matrix (the first one was great - somekinda breakthrough, it was a classy movie but someone just had to make more money and f**k up everything and made second and third (especcially third) parts. Thats sucks, man!!!
When you learn to write and spell like a grown-up, then I will listen to what you have to say.
Old 04-04-06, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By your own admission, you didn't like the movies when you first saw them in the theater. You went back, 5-6 years later, and liked them. We'll see what movies people are talking about in 5 years, that came out this year.

Good movies come out every year. If I had a dollar for every time I saw a thread started about this exact same "problem".
Old 04-04-06, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was talking with a critic (I hate) about this. And he said that one of the problems is that the budgets are too big. So everyone is so scared that they start having creativity by committee. They market research it to death so that they could have a "surefire" blockbuster. What is lacking is spontaneity.

Hollywood has also gotten so smug that they think that we HAVE to watch a movie every weekend and so they can throw any crap at us and we'll watch it. But as last year's drop in box office take shows, that is not the case. We can be discriminating. We don't have to watch a movie if we think it will suck. We can always do other things.
Old 04-04-06, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, maybe i was too harsh on the Academy winner, but others...
Yes, you were too hard on the Academy winners. The Matrix, King Kong, and Spider-Man 2 deserved their oscars.

Last edited by Drexl; 04-04-06 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-04-06, 06:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplechoe
"Sin City", "History of Violence", "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang", "Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2", "Matrix Trilogy", "Training Day", "Collateral", "Session 9", "Frailty", "Equilibrium", "Cypher", "A.I. Artificial Intelligence", "Salton Sea", "Panic Room", "Mulholland Dr.", "Donnie Darko", "Black Hawk Down", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", "Ghost World", "Requiem for a Dream", etc., etc...
thank god someone else watches good movies. though i don't agree with a few, damn near everyone you named i loved.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.