Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with the movie industry?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's wrong with the movie industry?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thegingerbreadm
i might be off base here but i think we do see many new talented Directors/Writers start off great and make creative different films, then basically sell out and start making the regular crap that Hollywood wants them to make for more money...Kevin Smith goes from Clerks to Jersey Girl, Jon Favreau goes from Swingers to Elf...the list goes on....everything becomes watered down for the soccer moms. There are some creative people in Hollywood and you can find some good films here and there but there are few and far between the the cineplex. I don't really get the Sin City attraction, visually impressive but as a whole didnt do anything for me
Don't forget. Doug Liman went from making "GO" and "Bourne Identity" to "Mr. and Mrs. Smith".

There's also been some great action movies and comic movies that have given each genre a boost. Spider-man 1 & 2, Batman Begins, X-Men 1 & 2 are all very highly regarded. Batman Begins was a pretty good hit, but the Spider-man movies were mega-huge hits. I thought the Bourne movies were very well made and may be this generation's Bond. Those are some commercially made films that are also the top of their respective genre.

There were some truly good films last year. Just look at my top 10. I know some won't agree with some of those, but I think A History of Violence, Munich, and especially King Kong will have a very lasting affect in the industry.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 04-05-06 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-05-06, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=coli][I]
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Best Picture Winners
2000- Gladiator
2001- A Beautiful Mind
2002- Chicago
2003- Return of the King
2004- Million Dollar Baby
2005- Crash
Gladiator, amazing.. A Beautiful Mind, yah right... Chicago, lol.. Return Of The King, will be remembered due to the trilogy.. Million Dollar Baby, keep dreaming.. Crash was great but who knows how it will stand the test of time..

A previous poster asked when was the last time you were just surprised during a movie.. Sixth Sense would be that movie for me.. The look on peoples faces when the realised what was going on at the end was AMAZING.. People talked about it all the way home.. Nothing out these days comes close to that type of movie power.
Old 04-05-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Let's look back at the golden age of movies where there were no bad movies and no sequels, as all ideas were created by filmmakers and not from existing work.

1980: Xanadu, My Bodyguard, The Nude Bomb, Smokey and the Bandit II, Any Which Way You Can, Little Darlings, Seems Like Old Times.

All of the above are classics and each and every one of us probably has 4 or 5 of them in our collection, or we're awaiting the coming 3-disc SE or Criterion version. (Who can forget the riots that ensued at Cannes when Xanadu failed to win the Palm d'Or, which went to Popeye?)

I won't even go into 1985, as I don't want another one of our famous 108-page flamewars to be rekindled as we discuss which is better: Commando or Teen Wolf. (I still say Teen Wolf, as Rod Daniel's command of juxtaposition of man and pain is perhaps second only to Ozu's).

1990: Dick Tracy, Another 48 Hours, Three Men and a Little Lady, Problem Child, The Godfather Part III, Look Who's Talking Too, Marked for Death, Young Guns II, Gremlins II, Rocky V, Green Card, Pacific Heights, Child's Play 2, The Exorcist III.

Problem Child's 9 Oscar nominations could only be superceded by this ouevre's entry into modern film canon. Dennis Dugan's masterful portrayal of modern American suburban alienation still stands as a testament to the will and power of love winning over hardship, no matter the consequences.

And, ahh yes, 1995. The year of Waterworld, the movie that has changed cinema forever. My only gripe is that this monolithic achievement in film has, over time, shadowed the other greats of that year: The Net, Mortal Kombat, Man of the House, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, A Walk in the Clouds, Casper, and While You Were Sleeping.

By the way, I highly recommend you all see the new production of Waterworld: The Musical which I believe hits Broadway in May. It has everything you loved about the movie, but with singing and dancing.
Old 04-05-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE=coli][I]
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr

I agree with what you're saying about bad, average, and great movies every year, but I have noticed this decade a shortage of classic movies, especially the ones up for Best Picture. Now I am not saying the Oscars determine whether I think a movie is a classic, but since 2000, I can't name any movies that will be remembered 20 years from now?

Best Picture Winners
2000- Gladiator
2001- A Beautiful Mind
2002- Chicago
2003- Return of the King
2004- Million Dollar Baby
2005- Crash

Come on, are any of those classics? In the 90's you had Braveheart, Schindlers List, Titanic, Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, and Goodfellas (Which should have won in 1990). Then you had Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, Heat, and Sixth Sense, these to me are classics.
Agree about most of the best picture winners...with the exception of Gladiator and Return of the King...both of which are classics.

I have zero doubt that the LOTR trilogy will stand the test of time...moreso than ANYTHING from the 90s. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Harry Potter series ends up being highly regarded as well, though I don't care for them all that much. Kong was quite the spectacle, but I'm not sure whether a remake can be a classic. Even the Narnia series looks promising. More than anything, I'm excited about the ability of bringing previously "unfilmable" literary works to screen through new technology. CG is a mixed bag, but when used appropriately it can create magic.

I'm pretty much a whore for comic book movies, but I think the first two Spider-man movies were amazing...and I love the direction Nolan is taking Batman. X-2 was brilliant as well.

Thus far, the 00s have certainly been weaker than the 90s, but IMO, the best stuff from the 90s was from the latter half of the decade...and we still have 4 years left in this decade.
Old 04-05-06, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Let's look back at the golden age of movies where there were no bad movies and no sequels, as all ideas were created by filmmakers and not from existing work.

1980: Xanadu, My Bodyguard, The Nude Bomb, Smokey and the Bandit II, Any Which Way You Can, Little Darlings, Seems Like Old Times.

All of the above are classics and each and every one of us probably has 4 or 5 of them in our collection, or we're awaiting the coming 3-disc SE or Criterion version. (Who can forget the riots that ensued at Cannes when Xanadu failed to win the Palm d'Or, which went to Popeye?)

I won't even go into 1985, as I don't want another one of our famous 108-page flamewars to be rekindled as we discuss which is better: Commando or Teen Wolf. (I still say Teen Wolf, as Rod Daniel's command of juxtaposition of man and pain is perhaps second only to Ozu's).

1990: Dick Tracy, Another 48 Hours, Three Men and a Little Lady, Problem Child, The Godfather Part III, Look Who's Talking Too, Marked for Death, Young Guns II, Gremlins II, Rocky V, Green Card, Pacific Heights, Child's Play 2, The Exorcist III.

Problem Child's 9 Oscar nominations could only be superceded by this ouevre's entry into modern film canon. Dennis Dugan's masterful portrayal of modern American suburban alienation still stands as a testament to the will and power of love winning over hardship, no matter the consequences.

And, ahh yes, 1995. The year of Waterworld, the movie that has changed cinema forever. My only gripe is that this monolithic achievement in film has, over time, shadowed the other greats of that year: The Net, Mortal Kombat, Man of the House, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, A Walk in the Clouds, Casper, and While You Were Sleeping.

By the way, I highly recommend you all see the new production of Waterworld: The Musical which I believe hits Broadway in May. It has everything you loved about the movie, but with singing and dancing.

mock if you must (and i know you were trying to pick the worst of 1980) but 'Seems Like Old Times 'is a good Neil Simon comedy (and maybe the last decent Chevy Chase film)...and ill put it up against almost any recent comedy .....'Stepford Wives' anyone? the 1960'-1980's were much better film-wise than the recent crop we get...i think everything nowadays gets 'focus grouped' down till theres nothing left but the bun. (the second season of Project Greenlight was an interesting example of this)

Last edited by thegingerbreadm; 04-05-06 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
What's interesting is that a movie that becomes a cult hit and gains notoriety due to its cheese factor has a better chance of getting classic status than a Best Picture winner.

While Evil Dead and Amadeus are two totally different animals, I find a lot more people who recognize the former moreso than the latter, which won several awards in its day.
Old 04-06-06, 01:46 AM
Banned

another cult classic of the last 7 years (which i hate btw) is boondock saints.
Old 04-06-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thegingerbreadm
mock if you must (and i know you were trying to pick the worst of 1980) but 'Seems Like Old Times 'is a good Neil Simon comedy (and maybe the last decent Chevy Chase film)...and ill put it up against almost any recent comedy .....'Stepford Wives' anyone? the 1960'-1980's were much better film-wise than the recent crop we get...i think everything nowadays gets 'focus grouped' down till theres nothing left but the bun. (the second season of Project Greenlight was an interesting example of this)
1930's Fan: "No, Seems Like Old Times is a terrible, mindless film. Where are the truly great classics, like Bringing Up Baby or Duck Soup? These films will be remembered in 25 years, this dumb movie won't."

Sound familiar?
Old 04-06-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Aiiiiii!!!! The rapist!"

[Chevy looks at the camera in the bank] "Oh, shit."

[Bank Robber #1 while driving a car] "Ok, get out anytime you'd like"
[Chevy asking the bank robber] "Any chance of stopping the car?"
[laughter]
[Chevy - perfect deadpan] "Any chance of slowing down to 55?"

"Where's my horse? There's supposed to be a horse."

I *LOVE* Seems Like Old Times! It seems like comedies in the 70's (for example) were a story first but also had the laughs (Seems Like Old Times, Fun with Dick and Jane, Murder by Death, The In-Laws). Sure, Dumb & Dumber might make you laugh more, is funnier than any of these, but I prefer comedies from the silent era all the way up to the really early 80s.

Last edited by modfather; 04-06-06 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just plain silly. Actually, I'd rather watch any one of the movies you've listed before I'd watch many Oscar winners over the last 6-7 years.
Old 04-06-06, 02:30 PM

Am I supposed to be laughing now? Next time you tell a joke, try to tell it in less than 10,000 words.
Old 04-06-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ummm... I guess I just don't feel bad for liking Waterworld, WORLD BE DAMNED!!!

Jeanne Tripplehorn...