Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are matinee prices becoming extinct?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Are matinee prices becoming extinct?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 08:59 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
2-3 years ago AMC had a Twilight price (shows airing between 4:00 & 6:00). Tickets were $4. Those were the days.
Old 03-23-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Southside
Can you beleive the UA 14 closed? Although the theatre was shit, it was the only one that had some "indie" movies available. The parking by UA 16 is atrocious, even during some daytime movies.
Werd up. I was going to the UA14 regularly since it opened in 87. I've seen 2 or 3 hundred movies there, including some of the biggest blockbusters and some of the worst dreck of which most people have never even heard. I knew it was on borrowed time, but I wish I had known when it was closing so I could've gone once more.
Since the UA16 is the only theater on that side of S.I., and it's the only one with stadium seating, it's been a lot more crowded.
Old 03-23-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Damn. $4.00? That's as much as a rental! Hmmm ... ideas run amuck.
Movie prices the same as a DVD rental?!? Damn, that might actually encourage more people to see movies in theaters instead of watching them on DVDs. Now, where did I last hear people trying to make the same encouragement ...
Old 03-23-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The matinee prices in Columbus (at least for the AMC theaters) are around $5.50 to $6.50.

Lately I have been going to my second run theater more frequently (matinees are $1, Tuesdays are $.50). Sure, you're behind the curve and sometimes have to put up with shitty prints and sound, but you can't argue with the price. I'll gladly go to movies that I would normally be on the fence about seeing for full price. For instance, I plan on seeing Running Scared when it begins its run there tomorrow.

Each hour of King Kong was $.16 of pure entertainment (okay, maybe not that first hour). And Narnia was probably the best $.50 that I've ever spent.

Originally Posted by beatccr
which brings up another question. concerning student prices, as long as you have school ID no matter how old you are, will they give you the student price? like if you're 45 and getting your bachelor's, you are a student so will they give you a ticket?
I don't see why they wouldn't. My law school class had several middle-aged students in it. (BTW, I'm two years out of law school and still use my ID for the discount)
Old 03-23-06, 10:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
my matinee price for 'Duck Season' at AMC Dupont Circle was $7 - I was glad though when my AMC card got me a free small popcorn.
Old 03-24-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
2-3 years ago AMC had a Twilight price (shows airing between 4:00 & 6:00). Tickets were $4. Those were the days.
They had that pricing for many years and it was almost the only time I'd go see a movie. Always enjoyed not having a totally packed theater. Once that $4.00 pricing ended I drastically cut back on going to a theater. DVDs make so much more sense now.
Old 03-24-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The high prices has really pushed me away from the theatres. The last movie I can recall going to the theatre for was I, Robot. And many excellent films have come out since that and I just prefer to buy it and watch it in the comfort of my own home.
Old 03-24-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
There's a theater in Des Moines that stops its matinee pricing at 2 p.m., which seems a bit early to me.
Yeah, I was just surprised to find my local AMC stops matinee pricing at 4:00 pm. And of course, it starts most all of its late afternoon shows just after that time. This effectively provides only one matinee show starting around 1 pm.

I hate movie theaters.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 03-24-06 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-25-06, 01:16 AM
Banned

5.50 before 5, after 5 it's 7.75 I believe.

We also have a theatre that only charges 50 cents on tuesdays, and 1.50 every other day. They show movies that are about 1 month old....
Old 03-25-06, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have a theater that charges like...$5.50 for matinee price.

= J
Old 03-25-06, 09:11 AM

They're 5.25 in Tennessee.
Old 03-25-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here in Lafayette, IN, prices run from $6.50 - $6.75 for matinees at our shitty Goodrich Quality Theaters. Evening shows run from $8.50 - $8.75. Prices and quality have effectively stopped me from going.
Old 03-26-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I don't think the prices at my theater are much different. I feel like I'm getting the better deal though, despite the price, because there aren't as many people there in the afternoon.
Old 03-26-06, 06:27 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

this is why i wait for the dvd. in nj shows are $7.50 for a matinee and 10.50 at night by me. I just don't go nearly as often as I did. I just wait for the dvd and pick it up for not much more than going to theater would cost me. this is why the theater industry is in big trouble. also the movie going experience at most theaters with annoying kids, in correctly framed movies makes my sound system and dvd player that much nicer.
Old 03-26-06, 05:42 PM

Years ago, I used to go to matinees 99% of the time. That's because evening prices were 6.00 and matinees were an average of 3.50. All prices have risen with inflation and corporate greed since then, but they've risen disproportionate to their original values. Now if an evening ticket is 8.50 and a matinee is 6.00, the matinee is still cheaper by 2.50--but it's no longer as much of a percent savings, so it's really no longer worth it. Now I just see movies based on when it's convenient for me, because saving 2.50 is no longer a big deal. Matinees used to be around 60% of evening ticket prices; now they're 70-80%.
Old 03-26-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Prices around here are the same, $6 for matinee, $8.50 regular. The few matinees I've been to have been almost empty. I have to wonder if the relatively high matinee price cause people to go at night instead, or just stay home.
Old 03-26-06, 07:53 PM
Retired

$7 and $9:50 and $7 and $9 at the two I go to.

Just went to a new theater in my parents small hometown in WV, matinee was $4.50 there. Had stadium seating and DTS sound as well. I think the evening shows were $6.50.
Old 03-27-06, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One chain (Kerasotes) runs all of the movie theaters around here with the notable exception of a drive-in.

The theater that runs new releases is $6 / $8 (matinee / regular price).
The theater that runs slightly older movies is $4.50 / $6.
The theater that runs movies that are about to come out on DVD is $1.50 / $2.50.

But I only go to the theater maybe once every year or two - the last two movies I saw in the theater were the third Lord of the Rings movie (Return of the King) and the third Star Wars movie (Revenge of the Sith?). I do go to the drive-in though three or four times a year, costs $5 for adults and $3 for kids, but you can bring whatever snacks you want with you. Plus for that price you get a first-run movie and a second feature, the second feature normally being a movie just before DVD or sometimes an old movie (like the original Creature from the Black Lagoon - in 3D complete with those funky glasses).