Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I can't believe I just watched (insert movie) for the first time!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I can't believe I just watched (insert movie) for the first time!

Old 07-28-06, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been avoiding Citizen Kane like the plague for some reason, and finally Netflixed it so I would be forced to watch it. I settled down last night to "give it 30 minutes." Damn, what a brilliant movie. I honestly believe it's not only a work of art, it's a work of genius. My hat's really off to Wells.
Old 07-28-06, 05:47 PM
Cool New Member

I finally saw The Rock for the first time. Pretty decent action flick.
Old 07-28-06, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw Rebel Without A Cause for the first time last Sunday. I always thought James Dean would play it like the smooth, aloof tough guy; wisecrackin' and crackin' skulls. I was amazed that the character was an akward, almost geeky guy with a quick non-sequiter sense of humor. He embodied virtues of empathy, honesty, confidence, loyalty and strength. He was like a funny Superman without super powers.

And I can't say enough about the cinematography. I'm probably going to buy this, but right now I'm rebuilding my financial base after the ComiCon.
Old 05-15-07, 03:46 PM

Mystery Question remains unanswered

I was prowling there the threads and I was hoping to find out the answer to the only movie that the characters never mentioned the name of the movie throughout the entire film. Did anyone figure that one out. I saw this very question on Jeopardy once. I can not, for the life of me, remember the answer. Feel free to share the knowledge. .........
Old 05-15-07, 04:10 PM

Mystery question

I was wondering if anyone figured out the name of the movie that doesn't contain it's name during the entire film? I saw this question on Jeopardy once. I can't remember the answer, but there is one movie that never mentions its title. Would anyone know????
Old 05-15-07, 04:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
This is a movie question, not a DVD question, so it belongs in Movie Talk.
Old 05-15-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are LOTS of movies where the title is never mentioned.

Clue comes to mind, but there are countless others.

Rob
Old 05-15-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
This is a movie question, not a DVD question, so it belongs in Movie Talk.
Agreed, but why does it belong in this particular thread?

Rob
Old 05-15-07, 04:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
I finally watched The Godfather. Watched all three over the course of a few days.

I can't imagine anyone liking the third more than the first two, but somehow Ebert did!
Old 05-15-07, 04:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by MOMMA38
I was prowling there the threads and I was hoping to find out the answer to the only movie that the characters never mentioned the name of the movie throughout the entire film. Did anyone figure that one out. I saw this very question on Jeopardy once. I can not, for the life of me, remember the answer. Feel free to share the knowledge. .........
why was this merged into this thread? they are totally unrelated...
Old 05-15-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by RobCA
There are LOTS of movies where the title is never mentioned.
Exactly. Sounds like the question/answer was misinterpreted. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Star Wars, The Phantom Menace, Die Hard, hell I bet 90% of movies out there don't mention the title in the film.

As for the original topic I just watched Saw II the other night. Good stuff. Not as good as the first, of course, but was still very entertaining. Figured it out in the first 15 minutes though. All good, same with the first(although not quite that quick). How's III?

Also watched Van Wilder last week for the first time. I can't believe the hype this movie got/get's. Very average film, if that. Been there, done that and ten times better.
Old 05-15-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I can't imagine anyone liking the third more than the first two, but somehow Ebert did!
Unless I missed something, I don't think he did. While he did (infamously) give the second film only three stars, he has since explained that it was because "the first film loomed so large in his mind as he watched it" or something like that. However, he did give the first film four stars, which is half a star more than the third film's three and a half stars. Plus, the first film is the only part of the trilogy on his "Great Movies" list.

Not that it matters.

Onto the subject of the thread - there are still a lot of the "essential" movies that even I can't believe I haven't got around to yet. I still have yet to see "Ben-Hur" and "Spartacus" and "8 1/2" among many others. I do plan to get around to them eventually.

I just recently watched "Rocky" for the first time, which I liked a lot more than I expected I would. It's not one of my favorite films, but it had a lot of really fantastic (and iconic) moments, in my opinion.

I recently rented "Alien" and "Aliens", which I plan to watch for the first time in the next few days.
Old 05-16-07, 08:14 AM

one thing I've noticed from this thread

It amazes me that people have watched the later parts of a trilogy without seeing the first film(s).

For me, watching part three of a trilogy is not even a possible option until I have watched part one, and then part two. It would never even remotely enter my mind to read or watch something out of order.

Now I realize that I am quite unique in many ways, but I would imagine that others would share this "quirk".
Old 05-17-07, 06:13 AM

I've had the Lord of the Rings Trilogy Extended Edition Boxset sitting on my shelf for about a year now and still haven't gotten around to even unsealing it
Old 05-17-07, 08:36 AM

Finally saw Frankenstein, the 2 DVD set is in a word AWESOME, not to mention the movie. Damn it was great!! Now i just have to watch Bride of Frankenstein.
Old 05-17-07, 09:22 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Man, I got so many movies in my collection that I got becauise they were "classics", yet I haven't even watched them yet, but will watch some pointless flick such as 'Dracula II: Ascension' just like that.

Schindlers List
Rebel Without A Cause
King Kong (1933)

are just an example of what I need to watch
Old 05-18-07, 08:11 PM

I have been eyeing Glen Gary Glen Ross for a long time, simply because it has an amazing cast. The plot always sounded lame to me though, so i never watched it until recently. A bunch of real estate brokers? how boring!

What a great film! The acting and dialog is spectacular, but watching the likes of jack lemon, al pachino, ed harris, alan arkin and kevin spacey go at each other is amazing!
Old 05-08-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: I can't believe I just watched (insert movie) for the first time!

Barry Lyndon

Blind-Buy at BIG & LOTS for $3 (OOP disc)

Old 05-08-09, 07:38 PM

Pan's Labyrinth

What an amazing film. Best of 2006 for me, wish I hadn't waited so long to see it.
Old 05-08-09, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Barry Lyndon

Blind-Buy at BIG & LOTS for $3 (OOP disc)

For real? I need to get to one stat. I keep hearing this is amazing.