Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - quick review

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know why, but while I was watching this film, I got that "Weekend at Bernie's a la Tex-Mex" feeling to it. There were a smattering of low-simmering funny bits (that make you go "you have to be kidding me...how ironic") that come out of the situations these characters find themselves in time and time again.

If you can't stand Barry Pepper, you'll enjoy what happens to his character in the film. Tommy Lee Jones does a pretty good job directing and acting in the film.

It's a 4-act film, and for half the film, it plays fast and loose, jumping around the timeline for the revelations to fall into place, and then the latter half is much more linear in storytelling.

If you like rural dramas, then this is probably up your alley, but it's not for everyone.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.
Old 03-18-06, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were some aspects of this film I really liked, especially the directing and acting from Jones. The problem though was within the story. There was just this overdone prejudice in pointing out how dumb the white people are in this film. I got it, mexicans are mistreated consistently around the border and I believe it, however this film just skates over the line throughout it with showing how supposedly idiotic and prejudice these white people are on border patrol. They almost paint the mexicans as being iconic people who can do little wrong throughout, it is a one way street in this film and to me that is a problem. The showing of Melquides Estrada in the film was so absurd but it still made me cringe to see it on screen. It really throws in this bizarre element to the film by actually showing it.

On another note, how beautiful is January Jones in this though? That is one gorgeous girl.

Last edited by cfloyd3; 03-18-06 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i really enjoyed this movie in a Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia Kind of Way.
Old 03-20-06, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am really annoyed by this Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia comparison I have read everywhere. The only comparison is that something dead is involved. The dead happens to be mexicans and both films have long titles with mexican names in them. This is like comparing a college basketball player that is mexican to Eduardo Najera, yeah they are mexican but I doubt they are much like each other, there just happens to be not much else to compare it to. I don't like seeing the comparison since Alfredo Garcia is one of my favorite films and one I consistently watch and am always amazed by. Estrada is nothing to it and nothing like it.
Old 03-20-06, 08:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
i really enjoyed this movie in a Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia Kind of Way.
That's what I had been comparing it to in its initial thread (I never did get a chance to see it though) here.