Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Not enough "need help with a movie title" threads, well here's another one...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-17-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't remember the title of this movie for the life of me.

It was on either hbo or showtime in the late 80's-early 90's, memory is hazy. It might have even been one of those hbo/showtime original movies.

Anyway, after school special type movie with a high school age kid killing another kid in a car accident, I think. Maybe something with drinking and driving. So, the judge sentences the kid to write a $1 check everyday to the parents of the child he killed. The lesson being that the kid would have to think about what he did for the time that it takes to write a check and mail it. He has to do this for a number of years/months (again memory sketchy at best) and can't miss a day with a check.

Tried to google, but no dice, maybe my google skills are fading.

Any help appeciated.
Old 03-17-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It almost sounds like a driver's ed movie.
Old 03-17-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dunston Checks In
Old 03-17-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If that's what really happened in the movie, that's a terrible sentence. The parents of the dead kid are going to be reminded EVERY DAY about their kid's death. What happens if he misses one day? Are the parents going to send the police after him? What if a check gets held up in the mail? Are the parents really going to think "well, my child is dead because of this idiot's recklessness, but at least he has to write a check every day... that'll teach him."
Old 03-17-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Dunston Checks In
No George in this one.
Old 03-17-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
If that's what really happened in the movie, that's a terrible sentence. The parents of the dead kid are going to be reminded EVERY DAY about their kid's death. What happens if he misses one day? Are the parents going to send the police after him? What if a check gets held up in the mail? Are the parents really going to think "well, my child is dead because of this idiot's recklessness, but at least he has to write a check every day... that'll teach him."
Didn't think about that one, but yeah that would remind the parents as well. Memory is really shady, but I think if he missed a day, which he started to after a while, then the parents would tell the judge/police and then the kid's probation officer would prod him or see what's up.

Also, I think the parents support the sentence because they don't want the kid to ever forget what he did. Again, these details are sketchy.
Old 03-17-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember this flick.....I think it was a tv movie. Can't remember the name.
Old 03-17-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139780/

Check the use comments for confirmation; the episode with Sam Rockwell(!) is the one you remember(specifically this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285509/)
Old 03-17-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Found it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139780/

Check the use comments for confirmation; the episode with Sam Rockwell(!) is the one you remember(specifically this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285509/)

Fink you da man! Thanks, I figured that was probably about as obscure as a movie could get and ofcourse my fellow dvd talker's came through.
Old 03-20-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, I guess this is a true story. Found this while googling, if anyone is interested. Looks like the family wanted the checks every week until 2000. Also, found the specific movie listing in imdb. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179755/

Thanks again for the help.

Why do I become more like Pharisees rather than Christ? Why is it hard to forgive someone? I guess it is because I do not really know how much I owe Him. The following story really shocked me this morning.

Max Lucado, a Christian pastor and author, tells Kevin Tunell's story: Each week Kevin Tunell was required to mail one dollar to a family he would rather forget. They sued him for 1.5 million but settled for $936.00, to be paid a dollar at a time. The family expected the payment each Friday so that Tunell would not forget what happened on the first Friday of 1982. That's the day their daughter was killed. Tunell was convicted of manslaughter and drunk driving. He was seventeen. She was 18. Tunell served a court sentence. He also spent seven years campaigning against drunk driving, six more than his sentence required, but he kept forgetting to send his dollar. The weekly restitution lasted until the year 2000. Eighteen years. Tunell made the check out to the victim, mailed it to her family, and the money was deposited into a scholarship fund.

The family took him to court four times, during the 18 years, for failure to pay. After the fourth appearance, Tunell spent 30 more days in jail. He insisted that he was not defying the court order but rather he was haunted by the girl's death and tormented by the weekly reminders. Along the way, he offered the family boxes of checks that would more than cover the amount he owed. The family refused. It's not money they sought but vengeance. The mother was quoted as saying, 'We want to receive the check every week on time. He must understand we are going to pursue this until [the end]. We will go back to court every month if we have to."

Few would question the anger of the family. Only the naive would think that it is fair to leave the guilty unpunished. However, my concern is this, how much is enough? Are the 936 payments enough for the family to demand? Will the final payment bring the family peace? Will the final payment bring the family freedom from their pain? Is eighteen years of restitution sufficient? Will 196 months of reliving the tragedy weekly be adequate? How much is enough? If you were in the family, how many payments would you require?

No one and I repeat no one makes it through life free of injury. Someone somewhere has hurt you. Like the 18-year-old girl, you've been a victim. She died because someone drank too much. Part of you has died because someone spoke too much, demanded too much, or neglected too much (Max Lucado, In the Grip of Grace).

After becoming a Christian, CS Lewis wrote, "For the first time, I examined myself with a seriously practical purpose. And there I found what appalled me; a zoo of lusts, a bedlam of ambitions, a nursery of fears, a harem of fondled hatreds. My name was Legion." We are all in dire need of forgiveness. Marghanita Laski, a secular humanist, made this profound confession while debating a Christian on TV in Great Britain. She said, "What I envy most about you Christians is your forgiveness." Then she added sadly, "I have no one to forgive me." You and I do, but it is only found in one place and that place is Jesus Christ.

"But he who has been forgiven little loves little" Luke 7:47