Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Cars' wows theater owners in first public screening

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'Cars' wows theater owners in first public screening

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 03:45 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Cars is the Bareback cure of the summer!"

I have a feeling that the guy quoted is a owner in the midwest and is seeing his fortunes dwindle due to some of the recent movies.
Old 03-16-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
June 9th! And did I understand you correctly when you said that you DID NOT like Toy Story 1 & 2?

Chris
I had to do a double take on that one as well.
Old 03-16-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yup...sorry. I saw them eventually on DVD...after I saw A Bug's Life (which I thought was genius). Just didn't do anything for me. In fact, I watched them both in one day.
maybe I need to watch them again.
Different Strokes I guess. I think the Toy Story movies are the best and that A Bug's Life is their weakest movie.
Old 03-16-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
So, the people who want me to spend money in the theatre, are excited and telling me to spend money in the theatre? Brilliant!

I'm still not sold on the talking cars and the "hillbilly" truck. This looks like a stinker to me, as much as I like Pixar. I really need to see a better trailer.
Old 03-16-06, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Puzznic
Different Strokes I guess. I think the Toy Story movies are the best and that A Bug's Life is their weakest movie.
Maybe I just can't apply "good" (or anything better) to a movie with Tim Allen in it.

And again, didn't see it during all the hype. Saw it afterwards. Really didn't live up to it.

On the other hand, I really didn't want to see A Bug's Life and absolutely love it. I can still watch it and crack up. Quote it on a regular basis too.
Old 03-16-06, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I just can't apply "good" (or anything better) to a movie with Tim Allen in it.
Didn't I see you at the front of the line at 'The Shaggy Dog' on opening night?

Chris
Old 03-16-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
When's the movie coming out?
This is the antidote for the Brokeback virus that's been spreading!
Make up your mind.
Old 03-16-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
No. He's saying that the merger has screwed up their notations of which theaters have DLP.
Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

Originally Posted by Giles
thanks digi.
Sorry I missunderstood you.
Old 03-17-06, 12:22 AM

This has probably been brought up in other "Cars"-related threads, but will the movie use Gary Numan's badass song of the same name in the soundtrack?
Old 03-17-06, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
What an odd quote. It's like he's saying "Finally, a movie that's not about gay cowboys!", as if BBM was the only movie available for the past few months.
Yeah, let's ignore all the crappy movies that have been released this year and will continue to be released until then, so we can have another opportunity to pick on an acclaimed film that has done decent business.
Old 03-17-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why in the hell would they even put that in their report??
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I can't help but notice that this was published by Reuters. Reuters always manages to characterize the US as uniformly backward, fundamentalist, infantile and redneck in any article. I think this quote was included to spice up the article for Guardian readers.
Old 03-17-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I can't help but notice that this was published by Reuters. Reuters always manages to characterize the US as uniformly backward, fundamentalist, infantile and redneck in any article. I think this quote was included to spice up the article for Guardian readers.

Eh, most days I'd characterize the US that way too. We don't do much to quell that description.

Honestly, I haven't been that excited about this either. The trailers don't really do it for me, and I've been excited by every other Pixar trailer.

As for the quality of Toy Story 1 and 2, I think that, while Bug's Life, Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo are all outstanding films, nothing beats Toy Story in my book. I don't even notice who the voice actors are, they are just the characters in the movie. Pixar is a great company, but I think they have yet to top their first feature film.
Old 03-17-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/cars/hd/

anyone watch this new trailer? looks to be the best looking film they have done yet, looks really amazing in HD.
Old 03-17-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gotta admit I'm pretty ho-hum abouyt this one myself. Kind od a step backwards for Pixar after The Incredibles.

There've just been way too many CG comedies about talking inanimate objects, or whacky furry animals. I'm sorry, but it's getting OLD. Pixar needs to come up with something new.
Old 03-20-06, 03:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Agreed. DLP should be the norm by now.
Originally Posted by Giles
Loews/Cineplex did a great job denoting which theatres/auditoriums were equipped with DLP - with the AMC merging - they do a sucky job.
so I called over to AMC Georgetown to question why AMC is not booking or advertising any DLP 'films' at DC's sole DLP equipped screen - and I was given the complete run around - needless to say I have to gripe and question the General Manager tomorrow - I am now convinced that AMC is run by complete morons - who don't care, or have any inkling of the digital system that Loews took the time and effort to playback 'Chicken Little' in DLP 3D in the first place.
Old 03-20-06, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Gotta admit I'm pretty ho-hum abouyt this one myself. Kind od a step backwards for Pixar after The Incredibles.

There've just been way too many CG comedies about talking inanimate objects, or whacky furry animals. I'm sorry, but it's getting OLD. Pixar needs to come up with something new.
Could be worse.

It could be about animals trying to escape NYC.
Old 03-21-06, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
The previews don't look that great, but I'm sure I'll end up liking it. It's the day after my birthday, so I'll probably work off my hangover in a nice, cool theater.
Old 03-21-06, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
I agree. Ice Age, Nemo, Monsters, and Toy Story were more than pretty graphics. Talking cars? I don't think I'll even rent this, it looks like a lame story that Dreamworks would put out to copy Pixar.
Old 03-21-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lawyer goodwill
This has probably been brought up in other "Cars"-related threads, but will the movie use Gary Numan's badass song of the same name in the soundtrack?
It damn well better!
Old 03-21-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
I agree. Ice Age, Nemo, Monsters, and Toy Story were more than pretty graphics. Talking cars? I don't think I'll even rent this, it looks like a lame story that Dreamworks would put out to copy Pixar.
Ice Age wasn't Pixar, it was Fox.

As for Cars, I just hope that the Hillbilly Truck only appears in the trailer. They just seem to be aiming below their audience with that character.
Old 03-21-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fanboy
Ice Age wasn't Pixar, it was Fox.

As for Cars, I just hope that the Hillbilly Truck only appears in the trailer. They just seem to be aiming below their audience with that character.

Odd, I had no idea, but my first thought was, "Well they were all good except Ice Age."

The one thing I have found is that these movies don't have to be any good to make good money. While I have liked most of Pixar's releases, the fact that movies like Shark Tale, Ice Age, etc. make money hand over fist tells me that this is a market segment that is dying for shows. Parents must really want to take their kids to a show (any show). Shark Tale was especially poor, I thought. Madagascar was really poor as well, but they bring in the dough.

I think the key is to make any kids show with CG and it will make $200 million easy. Sucks, but it seems to be true.
Old 03-21-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
When was the last time bad buzz came out of ShoWest.....exactly.
Old 03-21-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think you guys are blowing the owner's quote way out of proportion. He was hoping for a movie that will garner buzz, but still draw a more mainstream crowd into see it. Brokeback had buzz, but did it lead a 100 million 5 day opening weekend? I know it seems a little homophobic and poorly worded, but I think I understand what his point was.

I haven't really seen the trailers because I'm not a big trailer watcher, but I have liked all of Pixar's movies, and I really loved the Incredibles.
Old 03-22-06, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Odd, I had no idea, but my first thought was, "Well they were all good except Ice Age."

The one thing I have found is that these movies don't have to be any good to make good money. While I have liked most of Pixar's releases, the fact that movies like Shark Tale, Ice Age, etc. make money hand over fist tells me that this is a market segment that is dying for shows. Parents must really want to take their kids to a show (any show). Shark Tale was especially poor, I thought. Madagascar was really poor as well, but they bring in the dough.

I think the key is to make any kids show with CG and it will make $200 million easy. Sucks, but it seems to be true.
I didn't like Ice Age either. Shark Tale I haven't seen, mostly because it seemed way to similar to Ice Age. Madagascar looked good in previews, due primarily to the penguins, but ended up being kinda crappy.

You're right, though. Parents want to take their kids to the movies, and these films are the ones they go to. I don't have a problem with it, for the most part. I simply don't go to the theaters to watch them. These people are the ones keeping movies coming out. You could argue that the movies that are coming out aren't worth a shit, but there are good ones that break through occasionally.
Old 03-22-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the fact that this article exists is proof that this movie will not be as good as the other Pixar films. Movies like Toy Story and the Incredibles didn't need to tell the world that their movie wowed theatre owners. In fact the last movie that I remember getting great reviews from initial screenings was 'Hulk'. The more hype they put into a movie the less confident they are with it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.