Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Benicio Del Toro is The Wolf Man

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Benicio Del Toro is The Wolf Man

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Del Toro is The Wolf Man

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Well, FWIW, I would rather have the guy behind I Am Legend responsible for the action scenes as opposed to Horton Hears a Who.
Or Warner should've had the balls and let Neveldine & Taylor do the film the way they imagined (especially since they were going to write and direct the film). Instead Warner wanted a PG-13, went to town on their script and showed N&T the door.
Old 02-10-10, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Reshoots (or rather, additional shoots) are the norm, not the exception. Generally you don't "hear of it" happening because there's an unfair stigma that reshoots automatically mean the finished film will be disjointed and awful.

More often than not the filmmakers see changes that can be made to improve a film in post-production that they didn't think of before, and since most stars are contracted for reshoots as par for the course these days, it's normally pretty easy to get people back together and get some more material for the final film. The reality is that reshoots can fix simple mistakes and make a better film just as much as they can mean glaring, unnecessary changes.

I don't know if this is the case with The Wolfman, which was beset with issues from the start, but decrying the film for having reshoots is simply naïve.
Really?

So getting the cast back together well over a year after a film has been finished, and edited, and a few screenings have occurred, actually after the first two or three announced release dates for the film is common huh?

You're sure about that? Then go ahead and list... say three films that this has occurred on then.

Or were you not familiar with the details about this particular movie and therefore you had no idea what you were talking about? Maybe that's it?

Thanks for the 'lesson' on reshoots btw.
Old 02-10-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Napolean Dynamite, for one. Entire ending was re-shot the summer after the original release. And, IIRC, it was summertime. But it was definitely much later. Anyone else have movies with re-shoots much later? I know this must be fairly common, as you don't see people freaking out about it anyplace but fan-sites and forums, lol.
Napoleon Dynamite was a specific re-shoot as the film was becoming a cult phenomenon and Fox wanted to do something special for it's wide (1,000+ screens) release, thus adding a new ending after the credits.

Most re-shoots are done during post and to back up DonnachaOne, they are the norm for a decent sized amount of studio pictures. These films are able to meet their scheduled release dates as the re-shoots don't require anything more than just a few days of additional shooting (a week tops).

The Wolfman has been having trouble since it's first day rolling, so it is one of those rare exceptions to the rule.
Old 02-10-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Really?
Really.

So getting the cast back together well over a year after a film has been finished, and edited, and a few screenings have occurred, actually after the first two or three announced release dates for the film is common huh?
That very specific scenario doesn't happen very often, no. As others have already poined out, The Wolfman's case is rare.
Introducing new elements into your argument fails to negate my point.

Or were you not familiar with the details about this particular movie and therefore you had no idea what you were talking about? Maybe that's it?
As the old saying goes, "don't give a bad review to a book you haven't read." The same goes for my post, which you evidently have not read:

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne, a few posts above
The Wolfman, which was beset with issues from the start
Thanks for the 'lesson' on reshoots btw.
No thanks necessary. I only wish someone were quicker to you with a lesson in manners and reading comprehension.

I'm glad that the matter is now settled.

Going over the reviews thread and advance notices from some people online, I'm thinking of giving the screening for my employees a miss. I'm not sure I want to be around when the film ends.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 02-10-10 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-10-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I was right.

You didn't know what you were talking about, and you had no idea what I was talking about but posted away in spite of it.

Then when I spell my point out in detail, you claim I'm trying to change the context of my point that you were unable to grasp to begin with.

All the specifics of the dates and etc had been covered earlier in the thread if you had bothered to read it, I assumed the context of my point would be fairly clear. Ironic for someone who talks about reading comprehension to miss so much in the written word.
Old 02-10-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Nerd fight!!!
Old 02-10-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mabuse, you imply an ignorance on my part which simply isn't true, even though it's been pointed out that I'm evidently more aware of the situation than you are. I will not be dragged into a squabble because you lost an argument; before you get any more upset, may I remind you that personal attacks are not warranted on DVDTalk.
Old 02-10-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-10-10, 03:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mod Note: Thus far this has remained civil. Please keep it that way. Thank you.
Old 02-11-10, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not aware of Wolfman's problems but from my meager layman's knowledge of the film industry recalls hearing about re shoots quite a bit. In fact, just today I caught the behind the scenes of The Time Traveler's Wife and they mentioned having to wait months, if not a year to do some reshoots to get both the seasons to match and to allow Eric Bana's hair to grow back after Star Trek.

Pretty sure it's common practice. Sometimes a studio tests a film and it doesn't respond well, so they go back to add more.

A quick Google search brought up Valkyrie, Snakes on a Plane, Salt, Twilight and the New Nightmare on Elm St just for starters.

Last edited by ardathbey; 02-11-10 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-11-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance they give us a black and white version on dvd/blu-ray?
Old 02-12-10, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well these scenes are pretty cool. Still want to see the flick knowing what I know from it's issues.

(that mouth "gag" is kinda eh but otherwise looks well made overall, production wise)
<object width="450" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/18476"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/18476" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="300" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="450" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/18475"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/18475" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="300" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>