DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Brett Ratner - a day in the life of (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/459046-brett-ratner-day-life.html)

FinkPish 03-15-06 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Well...that's all good and nice...but that only works for the people big enough that you dont' have ask who they are....the Lucas' and Spielbergs. There aren't many of those out there. Obviously Ratner isn't one of them.

Superficial IS the entertainment industry...or are you just joining us, already in progress.

That's bullshit. That doesn't only work for those highest on the ladder; that works for everyone. I work in "the industry" here in LA, and all of the celebrities I've met, large and small, the ones who were the nicest and coolest weren't the ones obsessed with what they wore, what they drove, and who they knew. Ratner represents, in this article at least, the worst kind of superficial bullshit you can find, but not everyone is like that.

digitalfreaknyc 03-15-06 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
That's bullshit. That doesn't only work for those highest on the ladder; that works for everyone. I work in "the industry" here in LA, and all of the celebrities I've met, large and small, the ones who were the nicest and coolest weren't the ones obsessed with what they wore, what they drove, and who they knew. Ratner represents, in this article at least, the worst kind of superficial bullshit you can find, but not everyone is like that.

I never said everyone.
Obviously your experience is different from mine.

digitalfreaknyc 03-15-06 12:53 PM

This disqualifies any points you make in this thread.

No it doesn't. I wasn't talking about Brett. I'm judging him off of what I just read. And honestly, i don't see anything that's a big deal in that article.

FinkPish 03-15-06 12:58 PM

I never said everyone.
Obviously your experience is different from mine.

You said it

only works for the people big enough that you dont' have ask who they are
To me that indicates everyone else not on that list.

digitalfreaknyc 03-15-06 01:00 PM

You said it To me that indicates everyone else not on that list.

OK...except for the people that FinkPish has worked with. ;)

Cygnet74 03-15-06 01:03 PM

gotta agree with pink here. as a producer/editor of trailers, i've had the pleasure to work closely with quite a few directors (allow me to name-drop for a moment. ;)) including paul thomas anderson, tarantino, robert rodriguez, and most recently mel gibson. these guys, and all the other "lesser knowns" were very cool, very down to earth. i'd say i've worked with about 20 or so, and none of them displayed the exorbitant superficiality you claim is so prevalent in our "industry". the closest to that would have been m. night shyamalan, but i'd say he's just very confident in his ideas. it's not like he came in talking about his bentley. i mean, who "name drops" there own car? people like ratner are the exception, not the rule.

digitalfreaknyc 03-15-06 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
gotta agree with pink here. as a producer/editor of trailers, i've had the pleasure to work closely with quite a few directors (allow me to name-drop for a moment. ;)) including paul thomas anderson, tarantino, robert rodriguez, and most recently mel gibson. these guys, and all the other "lesser knowns" were very cool, very down to earth. i'd say i've worked with about 20 or so, and none of them displayed the exorbitant superficiality you claim is so prevalent in our "industry". the closest to that would have been m. night shyamalan, but i'd say he's just very confident in his ideas. it's not like he came in talking about his bentley. i mean, who "name drops" there own car? people like ratner are the exception, not the rule.

Very different situation. You're hired to work with them. They have no reason to "impress" you.

Oh...and my condolences for having to work with Mr Gibson. He's not quite as looney as Mr Cruise but still... ;)

Cygnet74 03-15-06 01:20 PM

Very different situation. You're hired to work with them. They have no reason to "impress" you.

Oh...and my condolences for having to work with Mr Gibson. He's not quite as looney as Mr Cruise but still... ;)

we had a good time. slipping in the flash frame of him wasn't his idea but he got big kick out of it and insisted we keep it.

btw, who is ratner trying to impress with these journal entries? himself? God, maybe?

maingon 03-15-06 01:26 PM

i dont have a problem with him, his movies are pretty good, x3 looks good, and i have no problem with the guy.

FinkPish 03-15-06 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
we had a good time. slipping in the flash frame of him wasn't his idea but he got big kick out of it and insisted we keep it.

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/6094/gibson3zw.jpg

OK, that is hilarious.

PopcornTreeCt 03-15-06 01:40 PM

Why we hate Brett Ratner is very simple. We all believe we are more intelligent, more humble, and can make much better movies than his rich ass. We have to slave away at our measly salary jobs while this guy gets paid millions of dollars to make shitty movies and then has the audacity to brag about it all.

I almost laughed when I read the part about watching a scene every night. It's just a scene. Try watching an entire film for once, Ratner, one directed by Bergman or Hitchcock preferably.

digitalfreaknyc 03-15-06 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I almost laughed when I read the part about watching a scene every night. It's just a scene. Try watching an entire film for once, Ratner, one directed by Bergman or Hitchcock preferably.

In his defense...he's got 50 phone calls to deal with. He probably doesn't have time. ;)

ytrez 03-15-06 03:59 PM

Again...i don't get what the deal is?

Wesley Snipes is a SHIT actor...and look what he has? Courtney Love is a nutjob and look what she has? You could substitute anyone for Rattner and get the same end result. There are a ton of famous people who "we" believe shouldn't have what they have and yet they do. Obviously they're doing SOMETHING right or they're just playing the game properly because they're still working and still getting high profile jobs. Lord knows if Hollywood doesn't like you, they give you the boot before you could even see it coming.

I just don't understand what's so special about Brett that everyone feels the need to rip him apart. Whose childhood did HE rape???

It's all a matter of taste & opinion. I personally wouldn't call Snipes a "shit actor". I enjoyed his performances in Major League, Demolition Man, New Jack City & other movies. I do feel that Ratner is a HACK director (again, just my opinion) who doesn't deserve the success that he has. If that article were written exactly the same, except "Ratner" was replaced by "Scorsese" or "Carpenter" or many other names, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

purplechoe 03-15-06 05:08 PM

I hate this guy with a passion. I hope he gets put on a rocket and shot towards the sun. We have to make sure that any of his offsrings go in there as well. We don't want to pollute the gene pool with his garbage. While we're at it, I also nominate Uwe Boll for a nice rocket trip to the sun.

Sunday Morning 03-15-06 08:08 PM

The fact that someone feels they have to defend Brett Ratner makes them pretty sad.
Ratner is the embodiment of what's wrong with the filmmaking process in hollywood. Everyone knows it, including Brett Ratner.

smirnoff 03-15-06 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by MASAMUNE2
what the hell does everyone have against brett ratner????!!! i don't get it

Me either. He's living it up!

digitalfreaknyc 03-15-06 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sunday Morning
The fact that someone feels they have to defend Brett Ratner makes them pretty sad.
Ratner is the embodiment of what's wrong with the filmmaking process in hollywood. Everyone knows it, including Brett Ratner.

Umm...thanks. I guess I'm sad then? What happens now?

Cygnet74 03-16-06 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sunday Morning

rendered most acutely in his "revelation" that his sole source of inspiration is other movies.

DrRingDing 03-16-06 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by smirnoff
Me either. He's living it up!

yeah, with Don Cheadle and his model girlfriend Alina Poopoo in his spectacular Bentley with leather seats, just like the one Matt Dillon has, at the Cosmo awards show where HE was one of 12 people being honored INCLUDING Pharell Williams and *gasp* Matt Dillon! maybe next time he'll go to an award show where's he being honored for his EXCELLENT work for Jimmy Choo!!! :horsepoo:

what exactly makes him a "Fun" and "Fearless" male, anyway?! give me a break.

sorry, d-freaknyc, but i've gotta go with the others on this one. who the hell is he trying to impress with this shit? ME?! it would take something significantly more modest to impress me coming from this tool.
-di doctor-

digitalfreaknyc 03-16-06 08:54 AM

Raise your hand if you hated him before this article?

Yah...that's what I thought. He could have documented spending time at charities all day and you people would still be pissed over something.

DrRingDing 03-16-06 09:19 AM

Raise your hand if you hated him before this article?

Yah...that's what I thought. He could have documented spending time at charities all day and you people would still be pissed over something.

which he would document something like this:

I went to this benefit for homeless people with my model girlfriend Alina Poopoo. I caught up with my old pal David Geffen there, who introduced me to that hot artist 50-Cent. The dinner cost $2000 dollars a plate and was lobster quiche with caviar stuffing.

i'm sorry, man, but this guy is a douche. yes, i disliked him before this. but if he had documented going to a charity benefit and only talked about the charity and what cool things it was doing to help people out, then i'd probably respect him. the thing is, he would NEVER EVER do that. that's why i don't like him. well, that, and his perceived lack of an idiosyncratic film style.

after saying all that, i have enjoyed his films, but not because they were <i>his</i> films - hell, i was even charmed by <i>Family Man</i>. the problem, though, is that the person behind the camera on any of his films could've been any of a number of marginally famous, cookie-cutter directors. this is, of course, all just my opinion.

i'm guessing that his x-men film will be okay. competently directed and it will look and feel like a Bryan Singer film. fine. but it won't be a uniquely Brett Ratner film. that is something that doesn't exist. he's too derivative. (being derivative is fine, but there's a line somewhere that distinguishes between being too derivative and paying homage.)

so, suffice it to say, you're right. i hated him to begin with. that doesn't mean i'm not willing to change my opinion. but so far NOTHING this man has done or said has ever made me even vaguely want to change my opinion.

just my $.02.
-di doctor-

digitalfreaknyc 03-16-06 09:23 AM

ok cool. i'm coming into this knowing nothing about him and having no feelings either way. But everyone seems so fired up about him that I can't imagine this article doing much damage. Enh. I guess it just didn't phase me.

FinkPish 03-16-06 12:04 PM

ok cool. i'm coming into this knowing nothing about him and having no feelings either way. But everyone seems so fired up about him that I can't imagine this article doing much damage. Enh. I guess it just didn't phase me.

You seem to be defending him every chance you get, but you know nothing about him? I am completely baffled, unless you are Brett Ratner....

digitalfreaknyc 03-16-06 12:26 PM

You seem to be defending him every chance you get, but you know nothing about him? I am completely baffled, unless you are Brett Ratner....

If you will read through, i'm not defending him. I'm actually looking at this objectively as someone who knows nothing about him. Reading that article, I didn't have this massive coronary that others seem to have had. It's really not a big deal...but obviously my experiences are very different.

FinkPish 03-16-06 12:31 PM

If you will read through, i'm not defending him. I'm actually looking at this objectively as someone who knows nothing about him. Reading that article, I didn't have this massive coronary that others seem to have had. It's really not a big deal...but obviously my experiences are very different.

I would suggest renting either or both of the Rush Hours, and watching the bonus material so you can see what a complete spaz this guy is. Then you will see what we are all on about.