DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   A History Of Violence..What a ride! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/458945-history-violence-what-ride.html)

RyoHazuki 05-27-05 01:48 PM

Cronenberg's latest "A History of Violence" trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newlin...ailer_lrg.html

[Nicholas Cage] Woops. [/Nicholas Cage]

Crocker Jarmen 05-27-05 02:01 PM

Looks interesting, but I bailed out about halfway through the preview as it seemed to be giving a synopsis of the entire movie.

RyoHazuki 05-27-05 02:03 PM

He turns into a fish. Sorry to spoil it for ya.

Joe Molotov 05-27-05 02:32 PM

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/06...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anyone read the comic book it's based on?

PopcornTreeCt 05-27-05 02:34 PM

Wow that movie looks like crap. Is that what auteurs like Cronenberg have to resort to nowadays? When I first heard of the title I was expecting it to be a documentary bashing the United States. Oh well it's just another movie that won't even be the #1 movie it's opening weekend. And what the hell did they do to Maria Bello? She was hot just a few years ago.

Joe Molotov 05-27-05 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Oh well it's just another movie that won't even be the #1 movie it's opening weekend.

Yeah, Cronenberg's always been such a big box office draw in the past.

PopcornTreeCt 05-27-05 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Yeah, Cronenberg's always been such a big box office draw in the past.

While I sense your sarcasm, this movie clearly lacks the originality of a standard Cronenberg film and the box office appeal of a movie made to make money. I love Naked Lunch, Dead Ringers, The Fly and Spider. But this movie is not one of those. This is standard Hollywood fare. I am not going to see a movie just because of the name of the director.

Joe Molotov 05-27-05 03:12 PM

It is kind of a "normal" movie for Cronenberg, but I don't think that makes it crap. The reviews that I read from Cannes were all mostly positive, I've heard good things about the comic book, and I thought the trailer was pretty decent. I wouldn't dismiss it too quickly just because it doesn't feature talking bugs or oozing orfices.

Geofferson 05-27-05 03:19 PM

Looks pretty decent to me.

Johnny Zhivago 05-27-05 03:22 PM

Definitely looks like a mainstream effort... But, ya know, I'm sure the man has had problems getting his "kind" of films off the ground these days (IIRC wasn't there a decent discussion on the Spider DVD about the troubles getting that film made?) A mainstream hit might help that in the future, no? Looks merely OK to me, a little "been there, done that already" thriller, but I'm sure John and Jane Public might buy a few tickets.

The Ferret 05-27-05 03:45 PM

Looks like it'd be a good book, and a somewhat interesting movie -- just to see how it plays out.

Numanoid 05-27-05 03:51 PM

I am not going to see a movie just because of the name of the director.

Wow. I have a feeling that quite a few of the people here, on a website devoted to filmmaking, might very well go see a movie just because of who directed it...me for one.

William Fuld 05-27-05 04:10 PM

When I first heard of the title I was expecting it to be a documentary bashing the United States.

Why?

Matthew Chmiel 05-27-05 04:41 PM

Wow that movie looks like crap. Is that what auteurs like Cronenberg have to resort to nowadays? When I first heard of the title I was expecting it to be a documentary bashing the United States. Oh well it's just another movie that won't even be the #1 movie it's opening weekend. And what the hell did they do to Maria Bello? She was hot just a few years ago.

Well at least you keep on confirming the fact that you do have no taste in films.

I think the film looks good. Then again, I'll watch anything that Cronenberg puts out (even the crappy films like Crash).

DonnachaOne 05-27-05 05:01 PM

While I sense your sarcasm, this movie clearly lacks the originality of a standard Cronenberg film and the box office appeal of a movie made to make money. I love Naked Lunch, Dead Ringers, The Fly and Spider. But this movie is not one of those. This is standard Hollywood fare. I am not going to see a movie just because of the name of the director.

Assuming that a great director cannot make "standard Hollywood fare" and make it fresh, interesting and exciting is nothing short of insulting.

'Scuse me while I go watch The Dead Zone...

harosa 05-27-05 05:04 PM

I love Ed Harris' look in this movie.

FinkPish 05-27-05 05:45 PM

This trailer definitely had me interested. I got the feeling there is going to be a lot more going on in the film than what the trailer let on; the trailer seemed very middle of the road. Even if it is a standard thriller, I'd see it just to see what Cronenberg would do with it.

PopcornTreeCt 05-27-05 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Well at least you keep on confirming the fact that you do have no taste in films.

Ooh, that really hurts coming from the guy that owns 2 Fast 2 Furious and 2Gether: The Movie.

PopcornTreeCt 05-27-05 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Assuming that a great director cannot make "standard Hollywood fare" and make it fresh, interesting and exciting is nothing short of insulting.

'Scuse me while I go watch The Dead Zone...

True, but I'm not changing my opinion until a better trailer is released or some good reviews come out.

MSD 05-28-05 11:57 AM

Can't wait, this film looks fantastic. Cronenberg is a God.

Hokeyboy 05-28-05 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Why?

Didn't you know there was absolutely no violence in the world until the First Continental Congress? Damn federalists with their powdered wigs and saltpeter whinings...

Hokeyboy 05-28-05 12:32 PM

I adore Videodrome, Naked Lunch, and Crash, but I also am bugfuck crazy over The Fly and Dead Zone. I will watch anything Cronenberg puts out. The trailer did appear like fairly commercial fare, but I have enough faith in Cronenberg's abilities and iconoclastic leanings to bump this up to my biggest must see of the fall. Don't like it? I'll break you with my bare hands!! :mad:

Coral 05-28-05 12:49 PM

Ooh, that really hurts coming from the guy that owns 2 Fast 2 Furious and 2Gether: The Movie.

This is my first time, so pardon me if I'm not doing it right... but I believe it goes something like this:

OWN3D!

:lol:

I neither love nor hate Cronenberg (even though I should love him cuz he's Canadian ;) ), but to me this movie looks like another run-of-the-mill type thriller.
The basic premise doesn't sound too original.

Tyler_Durden 05-28-05 05:44 PM

And what the hell did they do to Maria Bello? She was hot just a few years ago.

To me she's still super hot.

B.A. 05-30-05 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
To me she's still super hot.

:beer:

I think it looks pretty damn good myself.