Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A History Of Violence..What a ride!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A History Of Violence..What a ride!

Old 06-05-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw the trailer for this about a week ago and I think it looks excellent. Is it totally original? Hmm, no, I guess not. But originalilty, or the lack thereof, is no indication of quality. If you're already a fan of Cronenberg, you'll probably like this one as well. That is, if you're a fan of his directing and not just the crazy creations in some of his films. And for the record, Dead Ringers, one of his better films, is also a fairly "normal" film, so I think it's ridiculous to discount this film simply because it lacks a bio organic videogame.

no, it won't do very well at the box office. his films never do. it might not even have a wide release. oh well.
Old 06-06-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love how when a major auteur does a more 'mainstream' seeming film people jump all over them. Is it possible that Cronenberg just likes to not repeat himself? With all the acclaim for this film I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...I mean it's not like The Dead Zone and The Fly were trash either, even if they (gasp) made much more money than his other movies.
Old 06-06-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not generally a fan of his work but I have to admit, this trailer looks pretty amazing.
Old 06-06-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Let's see.

Slow, overhead shot of town. Check.
Lilting, borderline maudlin piano music. Check.
Small Town, USA mise en scene (baseball, diner). Check.
Overused foley effect upon appearance of villain(s). Check.
Shot of late model, shiny black car to cause mystery. Check.
Dark revelation vaguely hinted at. Check.

The only thing missing is Orff's O Fortuna.

I'd say this is a "standard Hollywood" trailer, not a standard Hollywood movie. I'll be seeing this, in theatre or on DVD.
Old 06-06-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 821 Likes on 553 Posts
Originally Posted by buckee1
Not generally a fan of his work but I have to admit, this trailer looks pretty amazing.

I agree. I'll go one step further. I can't stand Cronenberg's stuff. But this looks promising.
Old 06-06-05, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Wow. I have a feeling that quite a few of the people here, on a website devoted to filmmaking, might very well go see a movie just because of who directed it...me for one.

Even Cronenberg's weakest efforts are in my top five percent of favorite movies for me. He's consistantly brought something new to the table.

I'm not even sure I can say that about Kubrick and I love that guy's stuff to death. Maybe I need to give Eyes Wide Shut another chance. It's only fair and I know the mood you're in affects your experience of a movie.

Then again, maybe this will be Cronenberg's "Eyes Wide Shut". Time will tell.
Old 06-06-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am also a big fan of Cronenberg, and this looks like another top notch effort!
Old 06-06-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
Looks interesting.

In terms of Bello, she seems to have dropped the whole Coyote Ugly uber-babe look in favor of a normal everyday woman one. Nothing wrong with that IMO.
Old 06-12-05, 11:43 PM

September will be a good month. I'm sure it'll be good but I don't know if it will be comparable with his other work. I'm more excited for this:

http://www.twitchfilm.net/pics/painkillers.html

I think that is the only poster available now. It seems more Cronenbergesque.
Old 06-13-05, 11:03 PM

Yojimbo1, I cant express how much I am looking forward to Painkillers as well.
Cronenberg and body modification = greatest achievment ever.
Old 09-21-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else seeing History of Violence?

I am actually looking forward to this movie and judging from the very positive reviews, plus the deranged sense of David Cronenberg, I'll probably love it. I think it goes on limited release this Friday.

Didn't realize that the film was based on a DC graphic novel, but the cast is quite impressive with Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello (who I just loved in The Cooler), Ed Harris & William Hurt.
Old 09-21-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Loved the trailers, love the actors, love the director......and I want to see it.
Old 09-21-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love Ed Harris' look; I'm very curious about that movie
Old 09-21-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to this
Old 09-21-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unlike Darkfriend, I don't particularly like Harris's look. Nonetheless, I'm definitely going to see this film.
Old 09-21-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Corvin
Unlike Darkfriend, I don't particularly like Harris's look. Nonetheless, I'm definitely going to see this film.
The feeling I got upon seeing Harris in the preview is that Mortensen's character probably fucked him up good in the past...

Plus it's EVIL if you act all cool and collected in a suit and have one scarred eye!
Old 09-21-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's Cronenberg.....I'm there.
Old 09-25-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

gets me in a seat
Old 09-25-05, 03:21 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

just saw it and was disappointed. fascinating set up, but no surprises, really.
Spoiler:
and no matter how many times i see it, i never find the "anger and hatred turns to passionate lovemaking" scene to be very convincing.

anyway, i would have preferred to see a film about a man mistaken for another (with a history of violence), and because of that, is forced to employ the violent qualities of the identity he is trying to prove is not his. would have been interested in seeing someone become like the person they've been mistaken for, rather than a drawn out reveal that he actually is that person, followed by yet another shootout that yields no answers or poses no new questions, and an overly simplistic resolution for a family in a very complicated situation.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 09-25-05 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-25-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's strange, all the reviews I've read say the movie is full of surprises. Unfortunately, this isn't yet playing in my area, so I have to wait.
Old 09-25-05, 11:12 AM

Looks interesting, hard to believe the plot is based off a graphic novel.
Old 09-25-05, 11:32 AM
Retired

Looks interesting, but I'll wait for reviews and maybe catch it in it's second or third week if the buzz is good.
Old 09-25-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it. I like it more after thinking about it for a day. There are as many questions raised about violence as a story-telling tool as there are questions about the use of violence to solve problems. And there aren't any answers shouted in your face in the film, as the very simple set-up would lead you to believe. I don't think the film is really about the violent/sexual/sexually violent setpieces; it's about the spaces in between and the silences afterward. In another director's hands, this could have been all surface, no subtext. I think this is, in its own way, one of Cronenberg's best films. It's been said before, but it's all in the execution - literally, in this case.
Also, best ending (not best resolution) ever.
Spoiler:
It was during the credits that it hit me that there was no dialogue during the final scene and the last line in the movie was, "Jesus, Richie."
Old 09-25-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Looks interesting, but I'll wait for reviews and maybe catch it in it's second or third week if the buzz is good.

88% at rottentomatoes with a whole lot of reviews in right now. No need to wait, just click!
Old 09-25-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love Cronnenberg, love the cast. Aubry and I will be catching this next weekend.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.