DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Does the KARATE KID get Recognition for being the Cult Classic that it is ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/458903-does-karate-kid-get-recognition-being-cult-classic.html)

Original Desmond 03-13-06 11:01 PM

Does the KARATE KID get Recognition for being the Cult Classic that it is ?

The movie really now deserves the label of cult classic.

You only have to look at how nuts everyone goes when the movie is referenced. E.g. the "your the best" song in Southpark and the 'sweep the leg' line in the Office.

I've rewatched it a few times recently and it's just as cool as when i first saw it as a kid.

Wax on wax off and the Crane stance will go down in history

EdTheRipper 03-13-06 11:08 PM

It's always been one of my favorite movies.

GuessWho 03-13-06 11:10 PM

Yes, but...

I'd consider it a mainstream classic, more than a cult classic.

The movie was pretty big in '84 (#5 movie of 1984... beating out notables such as Police Academy, Footloose, Star Trek III, Romancing the Stone, and Purple Rain).
http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Years/1984/top-grossing

Cameron 03-13-06 11:34 PM

^cosign. Put this thread in the bodybag.

Mountain Biker 03-13-06 11:38 PM

Damn, what a GREAT Top 10 list that is for 1984. Sure don't make 'em like they used to...

238,632,124 Ghost Busters (1984)
234,760,500 Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
179,870,271 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
148,168,459 Gremlins (1984)
90,800,000 The Karate Kid (1984)
81,200,000 Police Academy (1984)
80,000,000 Footloose (1984)
76,400,000 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
74,900,000 Romancing the Stone (1984)
68,392,977 Purple Rain (1984)

jaeufraser 03-13-06 11:41 PM

Yeah, I have to say the Karate Kid movies were too popular to classify as cult.

mndtrp 03-14-06 12:37 AM

I used to love this movie, but haven't seen it in quite a while. Cult? Probably not, as everyone and their dog has seen it.

Doughboy 03-14-06 12:41 AM

Not just the box office returns and the fact that it spawned 3 sequels(at least 2 of which however never happened as far as I'm concerned), but also a Best Supporting Actor nod for the late Pat Morita disqualifies it as a cult movie IMO.

iggystar 03-14-06 07:13 AM

My 8-year old loves, loves, loves this movie. She found it on cable and watched it On Demand like 5 times in a row.

That's the sign of a timeless classic, nothing cult about it.

raven56706 03-14-06 07:14 AM

Karate kid is like a food group

FantasticVSDoom 03-14-06 07:17 AM

Its one of those rare movies that are of that vain that seem to be able to stand the test of time...I can still watch it and get excited at the end no matter how unbelievable it is. Pretty good part II in my opinion as well.

KnightLerxst 03-14-06 07:21 AM

Great movie...pure classic. "You're the Best" was used a few months ago for a Alexander Ovechkin highlight package at a Caps game...I started cracking up when I heard them using that. Ah memories of a young Elizabeth Shue...

T1000 03-14-06 07:37 AM

I love Part III!

Geofferson 03-14-06 08:31 AM

Karate Kid not only had commercial success, but was critically praised for the most part. Goes beyond cult status -- although it is a nice surprise to continue to hear references 20 years later.

stinkeye 03-14-06 09:08 AM

Yep, a critical and box office success, not a cult film. Now, the cartoon, that is a cult classic

http://www.super3.net/imgserie/karatkid.jpg

Charlie Goose 03-14-06 09:28 AM

I love love love the three KK movies with Daniel. Not so much the one with Hilary Swank. The original is a mainstream classic.

Wow, Police Academy made $81 million in 1984? That's impressive. I'm surprised they never produced any sequels.

DeanoBKN 03-14-06 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Wow, Police Academy made $81 million in 1984? That's impressive. I'm surprised they never produced any sequels.

I know...you would think a series like that would be good for at least 5, or 6 sequels.

TheMadMonk 03-14-06 09:53 AM

I'm still waiting for a Cobra Kai dojo to open in my town.

raven56706 03-14-06 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I know...you would think a series like that would be good for at least 5, or 6 sequels.

rotfl

raven56706 03-14-06 10:09 AM

here was my observation of the all time top ten moments:
Top Ten all Time Karate kid Moments

10) His week hits and terrible outcomes:
The first one was in Part 1- He punchs Johnny in the face and it barely phases him...to then get his a$$ handed to him infront of the girl he liked.. Yikes and in Part 3, where Daniel punched Mike Barnes(karate's new Bad boy?!LOL) and Mike told me not to do that(not even making a dent) to only get crushed yet again infront of a girl.

9) Funny supporting bad guys:
Come on..... the crew of each bad guy kid was hilarious. First Johnnys crew consisted of a curly haired blond who loved to act psychotic and bad. Then the one who had a funny freaking woody woodpecker laugh(who can forget the line "put him in a body bag... yeahhhhhh HAHAHHAHAHAHHA). In part 2- they barely talked. Nothing special there. In part 3- Mike Barnes crew. That one guy who looked creepy. Plus the moronic donut driving exit from the store after getting beat up by an old man.

8) The Corney Daniel sayings:
" My name is Daniel with an L"

7) Daniels embarassing moments:
Part 1: Getting pushed off the cliff with his bike. Wearing that ridiculous halloween costume. Getting beat up by Mr Miyagi while trying to do the Mohammed Ali dance schuffle.Getting beat at the beach. His friends laughing at him. His moms car breaking down in part 1. The spaghetti guy falling on him and laughing at him. Not to mention the pointing.

Part 2: I would personally be embarrassed if i was seen dancing like that at a club. He was moving like he was trying to get a shit off his underwear. Getting dumped on Prom

Part 3: Yet again getting beat up infront of a girl. Getting tricked by Terry Silver. Asking how to sweep and then crying about it.

6) Daniels clothing:
Some funky shirts her had in part 1. His outfit at the club in part 2. His suit for the prom in part 2. and part 3, that bright blue shirt.

5) Daniels stupidity:
Your college money for a Bonzai shop? Nuff said. Saving that girl in Part 2 from the pole was stupid. Not in daniels sense but for whoever forget her there.

4) Daniels love interests:
Come on....how funny. They all dumped him in the end. And the last one wasnt even interested.

3) The Main Bad Guys
Part 1: The Cobra kai dojo. These kids were ruthless and John Kreese was an evil man. LOL... oh boy. John Kreese made me laugh.

Part 2: The evil guys were ruthless and but even more hilarious. Sato and his crew try to bulldoze the area. LOL. Come on. But who cares... funny as hell. Oh and dont forget Sato's Nephew Chozen and his lines of coward.

Part 3: Mike Barnes, Terry Silver and John Kreese raise hell again. This time its personal. LOL. Of course we relive the moment again when John kreese breaks car windows and bleeds. LOL dumb punches. Not to mention John Kreese and Silver laughing in hysteria as they hold their vest collars announcing Cobra Kai dojo's taking over the city...

2) Mr Miyagi's drunk.
Him singing that song over and over. and then just sleeping.

1)Baby rants:

"I hate this bike.. I hate this bike, i hate this stupid bike"

"Daniel whats wrong"

"Nothing"

freudguy 03-14-06 10:26 AM

I bought my son the DVD for Christmas and he loves it (he started Kempo Karate back in October). I watched it again for the first time in years and still loved it, which doesn't always happen with films I liked as a kid.

Kal-El 03-14-06 02:03 PM

The film is a classic. Not cult or mainstream. Just classic period.

Terrell 03-14-06 02:07 PM

Yeah, I have to say the Karate Kid movies were too popular to classify as cult.
But not good enough to be a true classic. I disagree with Kal-El. I loved the first film. It's very good. But a classic? Not that good.

Numanoid 03-14-06 02:10 PM

I graduated from high school in 1985, yet I don't think I've ever seen this film in its entirety. I've also never seen The Goonies. Is there something wrong with me?

littlefuzzy 03-14-06 10:06 PM

My 72-year-old mom and I just watched the set... She enjoyed the films... :D

We both liked part 1 the best, and really found part 3 to be the weakest. The Next Karate Kid was closer to part 1 on the fun meter. Part 2 was an OK sequel to part 1.