Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

the Complete Bob Altman Film Review

Old 03-13-06, 12:47 PM

the Complete Bob Altman Film Review

Since Robert Altman won the Oscars version of the consolation prize, I decided to grade all of Bob's films (Keep in mind I am completely unqualified)

The Company (2003) So-So, not enough story, but McDowell's good C
Gosford Park (2001) Another return De Force A
Dr T and the Women (2000) A real dud....D-
Cookie's Fortune (1999) Grew on me over time, its actually a good film. A-
The Gingerbread Man (1998) Not so hot... C+
"Gun" (1997) TV Series Didnt see INCOMPLETE
Kansas City (1996) I somehow missed this INCOMPLETE
PrÍt-ŗ-Porter (1994) Lack of a real storyline hurts this one, still my favorite Julia Roberts film C/C-
Short Cuts (1993) No one does the intersecting story lines like Altman, great cast and Andie McDowell is actually good A
The Player (1992) The opening scene alone gives this an A
Vincent & Theo (1990) B
The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial (1988) (TV) Eric Bogosian is really good here. Micheal Murphy's billionth appearance B+
"Tanner '88" (1988) (mini) TV Series Very dated (the video look is just odd at this point) still interesting B+
O.C. and Stiggs (1987) I remember seeing this and having trouble getting through it...I'm giving it a C- but I should see it again to see if I was wrong
Beyond Therapy (1987) I vagually remember being underwhelmed Jeff Goldlum returns INCOMPLETE
Fool for Love (1985) Good but not great B
The Laundromat (1985) (TV) I remember really liking this but that's all, i'd like to see it again INCOMPLETE
Secret Honor (1984) Nixon one man show, pretty cool but can get tiring B
Streamers (1983) Maybe 3 people saw this in the theater but its actually one of his best from the 80's. A
Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) Early Kathy Bates and Karen Black returns... very play-ish (because it was a play) but defintely worthwhile... A-
Popeye (1980) I've only seen portions, Shelley Duvall plays the role she was born to play, INCOMPLETE
HealtH (1980) Just doesn't work... C-
A Perfect Couple (1979) I have to see this one again, I think it might be better than I remember, for now C
Quintet (1979) Whoops, a real misstep... Paul Newman play some kind of futuristic chess game? D
A Wedding (1978) An overlooked classic, A grown up Mia Farrow plays a 16 year old. Geraldine Chaplin is terrific. Nashville x 2, A
3 Women (1977) Based on a dream....(the most Altmanesque of Altman films) a must see....A+
Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson (1976) A bit of a let down....great cast but something went wrong B-
Nashville (1975) Mostly improvised, cast wrote their owns songs and sing them live, NO overdubbing (unheard of today) A+
California Split (1974) Among his best. If you haven't seen this...get it. George Segal was never better. A
Thieves Like Us (1974) Small, understated, maybe a little too understated, some very good moments, Shelly Duvalls 3rd Appearance B+
The Long Goodbye (1973) Kung-Fu's David Carradine, and Arnold Shwarzenneger make guest appearances, Everything about this movie from the sets to the music works amazingly well. A masterpiece A+
Images (1972) Odd and disturbing... B
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) The first appearance of Keith Carradine, a western like no other, a great film A+
Brewster McCloud (1970) Bud Cort builds a flying machine and Micheal Murphy parodies Bullitt, very weird. A-
MASH (1970) The first classic, A (Alan Alda met Donald Sutherland at a party and came up to him and said "I'd like to thank you for my life")
That Cold Day in the Park (1969) I saw bits of this but not enough....INCOMPLETE
Countdown (1968) Bob's first film proper, Saw it ages ago...i remember it being a good film but not 'Altmanesque' B
Old 03-13-06, 01:02 PM

Great thread.

Originally Posted by thegingerbreadm
(Alan Alda met Donald Sutherland at a party and came up to him and said "I'd like to thank you for my life")
That's just hilarious.
Old 03-13-06, 01:12 PM

My favorites:

Brewster McCloud
The Long Goodbye
Nashville
The Player
Short Cuts

2 comments:
I don't understand all the praise over MASH
I've seen Gun (mini-series) and it was not all that great (Altman directed one ep.)
Old 03-13-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd give "A Prairie Home Companion" an A-
Old 03-13-06, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I'd give "A Prairie Home Companion" an A-
You've seen it already???
Old 03-13-06, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
You've seen it already???
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458641
Old 03-13-06, 02:52 PM

Awesome -- I missed that thread.

(I have a tiny part in the movie so am particularily interested how it panned out).

Last edited by Geofferson; 03-13-06 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-13-06, 10:20 PM

McCabe & Mrs. Miller I have at this point watched too many times to attempt to count them. I just want to state it is perfection. In a little tidbit I was recently reading a Stanley Kubrick book and it discussed how he was amazed by the scene of the man smoking in McCabe & Mrs. Miller across the bridge area. He kept trying to figure out how it was done and tried to contact Altman about it even. He of course never got any answers from Altman.

I am certainly not obsessed with Altman by any means though I am going to continue trying to get through his filmography over time. Hopefully reach somewhat the same level that you have here with seeing them. I'd rate my top 5 as McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Nashville, Secret Honor, The Long Goodbye, The Player. I really was only offput by Short Cuts and didn't care much for Images.
Old 03-14-06, 12:44 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

the guys don't like him much... http://www.filmsnobs.com/www/altmancampaign.htm
Old 03-14-06, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Awesome -- I missed that thread.

(I have a tiny part in the movie so am particularily interested how it panned out).
Ah, what part? It was really well-received by the audience that I saw it with.

-JP
Old 03-14-06, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Ah, what part? It was really well-received by the audience that I saw it with.

-JP
A bit part as a box office ticket clerk. I am in a scene working the box office at the theater when Guy Noir walks in. Also a couple other scenes as an 'extra', but didn't get paid for those.