Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Scorsese vs. Oscar

Old 03-11-06, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scorsese vs. Oscar

Stupid 3-6 Mafia!!! Get it!! Three 6's....666....MOB.....

Who else is due an Academy Award, and by that, I mean, who else has been shut out everytime time nominated OR is a great filmmaker yet to be nominated?

Murphy's Law says that the year that Scorsese has another shot at winning, he'll be up against someone who stated making films three weeks before he did, and thus, has contributed more to the film-making industry, akin to what happened to Tarantino losing to Zemeckis (Pulp Fiction losing out to Forrest Gump) back in '94, he did, after all, give us the classic, Back to The Future Part III.

Edit: I think the Academy is a bunch of bullshit anyway, but, Scorsese is one of my all-time favorites and deserving of the moniker of "Academy Award Winner".
Old 03-11-06, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just watch, the one he finally will win for will probably be the most commercial film (and probably weakest) he will have ever made. Or he will end up like Robert Altman this year; unappreciated until he is almost dead, and then slipped a Lifetime Achievement Oscar just in time.
Old 03-11-06, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

...so what's this thread about again? If it's about movies/people that deserved an Oscar for their work but didn't get one..

Movies: http://www.filmsite.org/noawards4.html#1
Actors: http://www.filmsite.org/noawards3.html#4
Actresses: http://www.filmsite.org/noawards3.html#5
Directors: http://www.filmsite.org/noawards3.html#6

-JP
Old 03-11-06, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Edit: I think the Academy is a bunch of bullshit anyway, but, Scorsese is one of my all-time favorites and deserving of the moniker of "Academy Award Winner".
My sentiments exactly. Scorsese is one of my favs and just deserves an Oscar, and not one of those bullshit lifetime achievement ones. On the other hand it doesn't matter THAT much. Pretty much everyone that knows movies may not love Scorsese but its very hard not to respect him, and thats all that matters. Even if he never wins an Oscar his work will be remembered long after most of those Oscar winners are forgotten.

At first sight, his newest movie, The Departed looks to be an early contender. If he wins I hope it's because he really deserves it and not because the Academy feels that they need to make it up to him.
Old 03-11-06, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,095 Likes on 792 Posts
Stupid 3-6 Mafia!!! Get it!! Three 6's....666....MOB.....
yada, yada, yada...
I think the Academy is a bunch of bullshit anyway, but, Scorsese is one of my all-time favorites and deserving of the moniker of "Academy Award Winner".
I don't know what the point is of complaining about the 3-6 Mafia.
Do you think Scorsese should have an Oscar for Best Song on his shelf?
Why aren't you mad that Nick Park has four Oscars, and Scorsese has none?
Or that Martin McDonagh has an Oscar?

It would be great if Scorsese was an Academy Award winner for Best Director, and I don't consider the Oscars bullshit.

He should have two of them --for Raging Bull and Goodfellas, no questions asked.
And he probably should have a third for The Aviator, or Taxi Driver (for which he wasn't even nominated!!).

But at this point, I would rather never see him win a Best Director Oscar, than to see him win it for a lesser work just because people "feel sorry" for him.
Then people can talk about how Alfred Hitchcock and Martin Scorsese, arguably the two greatest directors in the history of the cinema, both never won an Oscar.
Old 03-11-06, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Uwe Boll, Michael Bay and Kevin Smith also haven't won Oscars, so Scorsese is in good company.
Old 03-11-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Uwe Boll, Michael Bay and Kevin Smith also haven't won Oscars, so Scorsese is in good company.
And don't forget Manute Bol, Michael Jordan, and Kevin McHale, who all also haven't won Oscars.
Old 03-11-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ian McKellan is the first person I think of. He has to wake up everyday knowing he lost Best Actor to Roberto Begnini. So sad.
Old 03-11-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
One current trend I notice about Scorsese films is that if he doesn't win the Oscar for whatever he's nominated for one year, then his next film will be released in December of whatever year it is released, regardless of how long it has been complete.
Old 03-11-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's in better company without one.
Old 03-11-06, 09:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I wonder has Scorsese ever won an Honorary Oscar? I think he might get one soon for his lifetime work in the movies.

I think many people are still surprised that Scorsese didn't win an Oscar for Best Director for Raging Bull and Goodfellas, both movies that are considered his best works.
Old 03-11-06, 11:38 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Winning an oscar doesn't mean anything really. Scorsese is a great director and he won't need a cheap statue to tell him that.
Old 03-11-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trout
Winning an oscar doesn't mean anything really. Scorsese is a great director and he won't need a cheap statue to tell him that.
Agreed. It's not really a big deal. It's not like there's only one great movie a year.
Old 03-11-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Then what's the point of complaining? If you think it's a bullshit award then why bother caring about this issue enough to post a thread about it? If it's such a stupid award, much like "world's greatest dad" then wouldn't it be better for him to not have to play along with it or worry about it and just make good films instead of pushing the idea and in turn, making him create films that compromise his artistic interest in an attempt to win the bullshit award?
Old 03-11-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look. The Oscars are an award for popularity. Pure and simple. If one is nominated, one has to go out and campaign and say, "Look, I really AM the best, so vote for me, k?"

The reason Scorsesi (and countless others) don't win is because they don't bother with the campaigning. They get nominated and just roll with it. That's also why Johnny Depp doesn't win when he's nominated. He just doesn't campaign.

Scorsesi's work speaks for itself. Or it should. But it doesn't in the eyes of the Academy voters. They want to be schmoozed and reassured that they're voting for the best whatever, and that means nominees have to TELL them what to vote for. You think people are honestly surprised when they win? Why else would they have prepared speeches?

I know I wouldn't. I'd just go up and say, "Hey, thanks. Cool. Thanks to everyone I've ever met" or something totally off the cuff.
Old 03-12-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still confused about what Three 6 Mafia has to do with Martin Scorsese not winning an Oscar.
Old 03-12-06, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
I believe it was because John Stewart came out of a commercial break by saying "For those of you keeping score at home, Scorsese: Zero; 3-6 Mafia: One."
Old 03-12-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Pure and simple. If one is nominated, one has to go out and campaign and say, "Look, I really AM the best, so vote for me, k?"

The reason Scorsesi (and countless others) don't win is because they don't bother with the campaigning. They get nominated and just roll with it.

You think people are honestly surprised when they win? Why else would they have prepared speeches?

I know I wouldn't. I'd just go up and say, "Hey, thanks. Cool. Thanks to everyone I've ever met" or something totally off the cuff.
Actually, you have to campaign harder to get nominated than you do to win the award.

Scorsese campaigned hard for The Aviator.
The campaign for The Aviator actually began with Leo's appearance at the previous year's Golden Globes.

There are five nominees, and you're one of them. You can be surprised that you were voted the winner, but it's also not a one-in-a-million shot coming totally out of the blue.

When Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a younger man who thought he would never win an Oscar, he vowed to his friends that if he ever did win one, he would bark like a dog for his acceptance speech.
Old 03-12-06, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I don't know what the point is of complaining about the 3-6 Mafia.
Do you think Scorsese should have an Oscar for Best Song on his shelf?
Why aren't you mad that Nick Park has four Oscars, and Scorsese has none?
Or that Martin McDonagh has an Oscar?
I think it's not that Scorsese should have a best song Oscar, it's that 3-6 Mafia shouldn't have one. I'm not 100% against rap, but come on, that song was crap.
Old 03-12-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In defense of the 3-6 mafia, all the other songs were also crap. They were simply less crappy than their fellow nominees.
Old 03-12-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
When Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a younger man who thought he would never win an Oscar, he vowed to his friends that if he ever did win one, he would bark like a dog for his acceptance speech.
Hoffman is a liar!

That Jon Stewart comment about 3-6-Mafia 1, Scorsese 0, I think pretty much guaranteed him to never host the Oscars again. Funny man.
Old 03-12-06, 06:38 PM
Banned

With all the music that's put in movies wasn't there more songs that could have been picked instead of the song that won?
To bad they didn't release a Bond movie last year, because then it would have won the Oscar no matter who sang even Ah-Ha!
Old 03-12-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't count on that. Madonna's Bond song wasn't nominated.

Not that it deserved it, being the attrocious piece of crap it was, but it does disprove your theory.
Old 03-12-06, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Look. The Oscars are an award for popularity. Pure and simple. If one is nominated, one has to go out and campaign and say, "Look, I really AM the best, so vote for me, k?"

The reason Scorsesi (and countless others) don't win is because they don't bother with the campaigning. They get nominated and just roll with it. That's also why Johnny Depp doesn't win when he's nominated. He just doesn't campaign.

Scorsesi's work speaks for itself. Or it should. But it doesn't in the eyes of the Academy voters. They want to be schmoozed and reassured that they're voting for the best whatever, and that means nominees have to TELL them what to vote for. You think people are honestly surprised when they win? Why else would they have prepared speeches?

If this Scorsesi guy is as good as you say he is, I'll have to check out some of his work. What movies would you recommend?

-JP
Old 03-20-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
If this Scorsesi guy is as good as you say he is, I'll have to check out some of his work. What movies would you recommend?

-JP
Shark Tale . . . and some American Express commercials.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.