Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clint Eastwood's war film(s)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Clint Eastwood's war film(s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clint Eastwood's next war film(s)

Taken from various sources, including Twitch's (which in my opinion is one of the best Asian film news websites):

quote:
Actors Watanabe Ken (46), Nakamura Shido (33), Ihara Tsuyoshi (42), Kase Ryo (31) and Ninomiya Kazunari (22) from Johnny's Jimusho idol group Arashi have been cast in Clint Eastwood's upcoming WWII film "Red Sun, Black Sand" according to an announcement by co-producers Dreamworks and Warner Brothers on March 8th.

Eastwood will be helming two films on the Battle of Iwo Jima depicting the conflict from both sides. Watanabe will play central character Lieutenant General Kuribayashi, and was personally selected by Eastwood himself. The other actors were chosen through video auditions late last year. Nakamura ("Ping Pong," "Fearless") takes on the role of the stern Lieutenant Ito, Ihara ("Gamera") is equestrian Olympic medalist Nishimura, Kase ("Nobody Knows," "Scrap Heaven") plays former M.P. Shimizu Yoichi, and Ninomiya ("The Blue Light") will portray kind-hearted soldier Saigo.

"Red Sun, Black Sand" (Japanese title: "Iwojima kara no Tegami") will feature primarily Japanese dialogue, and begins shooting on March 13th in Los Angeles. Eastwood's film shot from the U.S.'s perspective, "Flags of Our Fathers," is scheduled for release in Japan this August, with "Red Sun, Black Sand" following in December.

unquote

Considering the very sensitive issue of Japan's aggression during WWII, especially with China/South Korea-Japan relations at an all-time low, I am looking forward as to how Eastwood would depict the Japanese side of the war. I am half-Japanese/half-Chinese and have endlessly heard hostile remarks within my family regarding WW2. I know this present issue amongst China,South Korea and Japan (Japanese prime minister's visits to the Yasukuni Shrine which holds 14 war criminals, China & S.Korea's view on Japan's insufficient apology, revision of Japanese textbooks which minimalizes the Nanjing massacre) isn't really huge news in North America but it is a cloud that hangs over Asian politics for the last 3 years.

Last edited by Cardiac161; 03-09-06 at 01:37 PM. Reason: revision of header
Old 03-09-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds interesting!

For a minute, I thought this thread would talk about Clint's OTHER war movies, like Where Eagles Dare, a favorite of mine hehehe.
Old 03-09-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry...changed the header to make it clearer.