Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Term Paper on Violence in the Media in the Reagan-Bush Eras

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Term Paper on Violence in the Media in the Reagan-Bush Eras

Old 02-19-06, 09:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paper on Violence in the Media in the Reagan-Bush Eras

Hello all.

I'm a longtime reader of the site that just registered, so I wanted to say that I'm writing a term paper about the Reagan-Bush eras, more precisely the surrounding violence that happened in film, TV, music, books, and current events. I know I have good direction going here, but I just wanted to ask: over the time period Reagan and Bush Sr. (1980-92) served as President, what do you think were the most influential and in turn violent films of this timeframe?

I'm also planning to discuss things, as mentioned above, from TV (Miami Vice, Twin Peaks), music (gangsta rap, the birth of the Parental Advisory label), current events (Iran Contra scandal, Gulf War), and even literature (American Psycho).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by HunterTarantino; 02-19-06 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-19-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not necessarily the most violent during the era, but some films that sort of capture the political spirit of the decade are White Nights, Red Dawn, Rocky IV, Rambo III, and Top Gun.

Of course, no paper on '80s cinema would be complete without mention of The Last Dragon, replete with a soundtrack by El Debarge, Vanity in a supporting role and one of the best lines of dialogue EVER: "Who's the master?! SHO'NUFF!"
Old 02-19-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think most mainstream movies took a break from the violence after the decadent '70s. IMO.
Old 02-19-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movies for sure had been watered down during the Bush Sr. and Clinton years.

There were some super violent films in the 80's. Mostly cartoonish over the top stuff. Invasion U.S.A. comes to mind. A lot of seedy 80's horror films came out of the woodwork, too. It's not such a coincedence the last good year for super violent films was 1987.

All I know is that it was a good time to be a kid living in New York City going to those Times Square movies houses. The time of my life.