DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Why Does Everyone Hate Stallone? (Also Your Top Stallone Movies!) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/454719-why-does-everyone-hate-stallone-also-your-top-stallone-movies.html)

The Monkees 02-04-06 02:32 PM

Why Does Everyone Hate Stallone? (Also Your Top Stallone Movies!)
 
First off I don't get why people don't like him. Because he made a few bad career decisions? Back in the 1970s and 1980s and even into the mid-1990s people loved him. He has made some of the best films in film history (i.e. Rocky, Rambo, etc.). So why does everyone hate him now?

My Top 5 Stallone Movies

5. Lock Up (1989)
4. Daylight (1996)
3. The Specialist (1995)
2. First Blood (1982)
1. Rocky (1976)

Please feel free to add your favorite Stallone movies

I'd Like to Add These to My List:

Death Race 2000
Assassins

Sunday Morning 02-04-06 04:08 PM

Bananas and Death Race 2000. That's it.

Oh, I kinda liked Assassins. People generally hate that movie, no?

EdTheRipper 02-04-06 04:09 PM

I like Stallone, for the most part.

DeputyDave 02-04-06 05:54 PM

People who like Stalone movies too much get banned around here ;)

OldBoy 02-04-06 05:57 PM

"Over the Top" ...best movie about arm wrestling I have ever seen!!!!!!!!
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...SY.02.LZZZZZZZ

Amel 02-04-06 06:13 PM

I love Stallone.
All Rocky's except the one with Tommy gunn. That one kinda sucked.
First Blood & Rambo are awesome. Didn't like 3 too much.
Rhinestone, and I can't stand country music. But that movie is funny.
Lock Up, Victory, Assassins, & Cobra are all entertaining flicks.
Hell, I even liked Daylight & Cliffhanger.

And Cop Land & Shade are excellent movies that also show a different side of Sly.

My top 5 Sly films:
5 Rocky II
4 Assassins, kinda crappy but I dig it!
3 Shade
2 Rocky III
1 First Blood

Rival11 02-04-06 06:19 PM

"It's kinda like a switch"



Originally Posted by scott1598
"Over the Top" ...best movie about arm wrestling I have ever seen!!!!!!!!
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...SY.02.LZZZZZZZ


Johnny Boy 02-04-06 06:22 PM

Arnold Schwarzenegger: "GET DOOWWWWWNN!!"

Sylvestor Stallone: "GET OUTTATHEEEERRRREE!!!"

I liked Sly when I was about ten. Can't say I like him too much now, but he's really fun to spoof. The only movie that I own with him in it is Death Race 2000 (he's really good in that one).

acetimbo08 02-04-06 07:33 PM

What about Cobra? That was a pretty sweet movie with Stallone in it.

UKingdom 02-04-06 08:28 PM

what about demolition man? that movie rocked. also has a lot of stars (many of whom were not as famous back then)

1) stallone
2) snipes
3) sandra bullock (first big role before her breakout in speed)
4) denis leary
5) jack black (hehe, albeit a small role)
6) benjamin bratt
7) rob schneider
etc etc...

Mondo Kane 02-04-06 10:45 PM

Loved him in Antz

BigPete 02-04-06 10:51 PM


Originally Posted by UKingdom
what about demolition man? that movie rocked. also has a lot of stars (many of whom were not as famous back then)

1) stallone
2) snipes
3) sandra bullock (first big role before her breakout in speed)
4) denis leary
5) jack black (hehe, albeit a small role)
6) benjamin bratt
7) rob schneider
etc etc...


you've confused it a bit with judge dredd

Sweet Baby James 02-05-06 12:14 AM

It's hard to believe that Rock is going to be 60 this year. Anyhow, my favorite Sly movie is Nighthawks with Billy Dee and Rutger. Some other decent films are Cop Land, F.I.S.T., Lords of Flatbush and Victory.:)

Fincher Fan 02-05-06 12:49 AM

No love for "Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot"?

NatrlBornThrllr 02-05-06 05:56 AM

Some Rockys here, some Rambos there, maybe a Cobra in between.

Oh, and who can forget The Party at Kitty and Stud's, which I'm ashamed to admit that I've never seen?

-JP

marty888 02-05-06 07:54 AM


Originally Posted by The Monkees
He has made some of the best films in film history (i.e. Rocky, Rambo, etc.). So why does everyone hate him now?

Whoa, <i>"...some of the best films in film history"</i> ? ? ?

I think even most Stallone fans would find it difficult to accept that statement. <i>Rocky</i> definitely, as a low-budget movie made by unknowns that found (justifiably) a huge audience and connected with that audience on many levels. But even his other movies that I enjoy time and time again (<i>Cliffhanger, Demolition Man,</i> etc.)
din't impact on film history so much as <i>borrow</i> from film history.

NatrlBornThrllr 02-05-06 08:26 AM

Yeah, I think Rocky and perhaps First Blood are the only Stallone films that I'd place on any best list. And of course, The Party at Kitty and Stud's.

-JP

Mr. Cinema 02-05-06 08:30 AM

Ones I really liked:

Cop Land
Rocky I-IV


I still don't understand why Over the Top gets so much love in here. That is one of the worst films ever made.

jkberden 02-05-06 10:40 AM


Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Ones I really liked:

Cop Land
Rocky I-IV


I still don't understand why Over the Top gets so much love in here. That is one of the worst films ever made.

As previously mentioned, it is the best movie about arm wrestling EVER!!! That, sir, is the reason for all the love.

TheAllPurposeNothing 02-05-06 10:41 AM

5. Cliffhanger
4. Antz
3. Paradise Alley
2. First Blood
1. Rocky

DeanoBKN 02-05-06 11:31 AM

Gimme Rocky 1-5 anyday of the week. Demolition Man was also cool. The rest....ugh.

The Monkees 02-05-06 12:25 PM


Originally Posted by marty888
Whoa, <i>"...some of the best films in film history"</i> ? ? ?

I think even most Stallone fans would find it difficult to accept that statement. <i>Rocky</i> definitely, as a low-budget movie made by unknowns that found (justifiably) a huge audience and connected with that audience on many levels. But even his other movies that I enjoy time and time again (<i>Cliffhanger, Demolition Man,</i> etc.)
din't impact on film history so much as <i>borrow</i> from film history.

I think I was referring to both Rocky and First Blood. Those characters are two of the most famous characters in film history. Everyone knows who Rocky and Rambo are without even seeing the films. And Rocky is one of the 500 must see movies of all time.

thegingerbreadm 02-05-06 06:37 PM

after careful consideration:
TOP 5:
(in no order)

Assasins (glad to see some others like this...its fluffy and , yes, crappy, but in a good way, not like the Specialist which is crappy in a bad way)
Nighthawks
Cliffhanger
Rocky
and....uhhh.....ok....top 4.....

BuddyRevell 02-05-06 06:54 PM

The first 15 minutes of Cobra is great.

Man holding people hostage in a grocery store ~ "I'll BLOW this place up man!!"

Cobra ~ "Go ahead.......I don't shop here."

resinrats 02-05-06 07:48 PM

I don't hate him. I just don't go out of my way to see one of his movies.

The ones I like.
Rambo 1 & 2
Demolition Man
Daylight
Cliffhanger


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.