Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-04-06, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently reading the book version of the movie, One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest. The movie came 12 years after the book was printed. I'm half way done with the book and I'm planning on renting the movie after I read. I know Jack Nicholson plays the main character in the movie. The book is great.

Has anyone saw this movie, and was it good?

Thanks, JT
Old 02-04-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard it was decent. It's one of only three movies to sweep the top 5 Academy Awards.

By the way, it's The Cuckoo's Nest. not A Cuckoo's Nest.

In a career of great performances, this just might be my favorite from Jack Nicholson.

I would just buy it sight unseen. Check the DVD baragains section for where to buy the WB 2-disc sets for $15.
Old 02-04-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
See it right after you finish the book so the book is still fresh in your mind. Great movie. I read the book about a month before the movie was released. I remember it was one of those paperbacks with a movie tie-in cover "Soon to be a major motion picture".
Old 02-04-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw the movie when I was about 9 (I'm 21 now) and remember it being very powerful. I finally read the book over the holidays and immediately bought the Special Edition DVD after finishing it. Both are great, and though the book's tone is far more serious than the movie's, the message remains the same and I find that the strongest moments of both works are the same ones.
Old 02-04-06, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
I saw the movie when I was about 9 (I'm 21 now) and remember it being very powerful. I finally read the book over the holidays and immediately bought the Special Edition DVD after finishing it. Both are great, and though the book's tone is far more serious than the movie's, the message remains the same and I find that the strongest moments of both works are the same ones.
I can't wait to finish the book and see the movie.

JT
Old 02-04-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait...One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was a movie? Never heard of it.

end sarcasm
Old 02-04-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Great movie. Definitely worth seeing.
Old 02-04-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
One of those rare occasions where I liked the movie more than the book. I just had no sympathy for McMurphy in the novel and I loved how Chief became the storyteller half-way through instead of all the way.
Old 02-04-06, 03:57 PM

A great powerful film, and one of Jacks best performances (which is saying a lot) i liked it better than the book a well
Old 02-04-06, 06:35 PM
Banned

Wow! Your kinda late aren't You? The movie very good, and superb performances from the entire cast, which had won numerous well deserved Academy Awards. It's a must see film.
Old 02-04-06, 06:35 PM

One of the all time great movies.
Old 02-04-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very good movie. I saw it fairly young too (considering the subject matter). I believe I was about 11 and it was pretty powerful stuff then. It still holds up today.
Great movie and all the awards were deserved.
Old 02-05-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not trying to start an argument but how do you think Cuckoo's Nest compares to Jaws? They both came out in 1975 and Cuckoo's Nest won the Oscar that year. Jaws is my favorite movie ever and personally I believe it's the greatest movie ever made, so obviously I think the Academy Award should have gone to Jaws instead of Cuckoo's Nest, even though I absolutely love Cuckoo's. I may be forgetting some other years, but I think 1975 was a year that 2 movies could have easily shared the award for best picture, even though, like I said, I would have given the award to Jaws. Who thinks Jaws deserved best picture over One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...anybody?
Old 02-05-06, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not the answer you're looking for, but since "Jaws" is largely responsible for starting the blockbuster style of filmmaking that would so transform the industry, I feel I wouldn't be able to take it had the film been victorious over "Cuckoo's Nest" at the Oscars. In a similar sense, I take great comfort in the fact "Annie Hall" triumphed over "Star Wars" in 1978. I love all of the aforementioned films, but in my view, commercial films should reap commercial rewards. And that is what "Jaws" did, by the bucketload.
Old 02-05-06, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm with ol' Tyler on this one. I think Cuckoo's Nest was the more academic of the two, for lack of a better word, and while commercial films collect the paychecks, films like Cuckoo's Nest collect the statues. While Jaws is great, was a bit ahead of it's time, and changed the industry...I think Cuckoo's Nest was the better film of the two (in terms of performances, screenplay, and the like). I think it was deserving of it's awards, even if Jaws was the more astounding technical achievement. Vaguely comparable in principle to Spielberg's Munich this year, versus a King Kong or something similar.

-JP
Old 02-05-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 6th grade science teacher ruined the ending to this movie. He just came in one day, asked if we'd seen it, and when none of us had, he started telling us all about it including the ending. It was a few years later before I got around to seeing it, but I still really liked it.
Old 02-05-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great movie, no doubt.
Old 02-05-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a great, great movie! And a very good ending.

Quite a powerful movie, made a great deal of impact on me.