Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which actors currently do you think have the chance to become one of the best ever?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which actors currently do you think have the chance to become one of the best ever?

Old 02-03-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is asking basically who will be referenced in 20 years the way DeNiro, Nicholson, Pacino, Hackman, and others are referenced now. I wouldn't include someone like Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Johnny Depp, or Sean Penn because I think they have easily established a solid career. Off the top of my head:

Terrence Howard - 2005 was his breakout year. Has the acting chops to be special.
Peter Sarsgaard - I really like his work.
Edward Norton - Has a couple of Oscar noms. On his way.
Matt Damon - Won 1 for writing. Has plenty of talent.
Joaquin Phoenix - 2 noms.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Most likely will have an Oscar. I think he's been underappreciated up until Capote.
Keira Knightley - scored 1 Oscar nom. Still very young (20).
Charlize Theron - 2 Oscar noms, 1 win. As long as she avoids stuff like Aeon Flux.
Francis McDormand - Has 1 Oscar. Seems like she gets a nomination every year.
Jake Gyllenhaal - Becoming a major star.
Christian Bale - plenty of potential.
Hiliary Swank - 2 BEST ACTRESS wins already.
Jamie Foxx
Leonardo DiCaprio
Cate Blanchett
Kate Winslet
Russell Crowe

Basically, I see these names being mentioned 20 years from now. Who's on your list?
Old 02-03-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with:

Christian Bale
Jake Gyllenhaal
Joaquin Phoenix
Edward Norton
Russell Crowe
Old 02-03-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Terrence Howard - Good performance in Hustle and Flow and Crash. He'll have to stay away from the garbage in order to succeed.
Peter Sarsgaard - Excellent actor, although I don't think we will ever see him rise to far from supporting actor.
Edward Norton - Already considered among many as one of the greats. Very selective and always engaging.
Matt Damon - No. Yeah, he's big and he'll probably get bigger, but I honestly don't think he'll get another nom. with stupid roles (like his cheesey performance in the Ocean movies and his toolbag short hair) He needs to go back to roles like Good Will Hunting and even there, it was Williams that stole the show.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Excellent. Great taste in the roles he chooses. Many nods to come for him.
Jake Gyllenhaal - Great actor with a great eye for choosing roles. I don't think think he is the next Edward Norton, but if he continues choosing movies like Jarhead and BM, he'll keep rising. Also, his smaller films like Donnie Darko and The Good Girl put him in excellent roles.
Christian Bale - He's too good of an actor to fall into superstardom, I hope this doesn't happen.
Leonardo DiCaprio - One of the most underappreciated typecasted actors. He's not the only one who wishes he never had anything to do with Titanic. I do think he is the next DeNiro, and not just from the Scorcese connection. I would love to see him opposite Edward Norton.
Old 02-03-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wonderful post. I agree on so many counts. Guys like Depp, Denzel and Penn are already accomplished (though I might add Francis McDormand and Russell Crowe to that list). And from the other angle, I agree wholeheartedly with these guys (plus my own comments):

Terrence Howard - Hustle and Flow was my favorite film of the year. He's why. I've seen potential in him since Dead Presidents...and I'm so thrilled that he's finally coming into his own.
Edward Norton - My favorite actor, with De Niro and Brando rounding out my top three. That's saying a lot. It's just that...it's not too often that you find a guy who can be both an amazing character actor as well as one of the best leading men in the business. Norton can take any role and make it something special. That can't be said about many more performers...if any.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - I love this guy, have ever since I worked my way through PTA's whole filmography. Seeing him in Happiness, 25th Hour and other films only cemented my opinion. I haven't seen Capote, but I couldn't be happier for him getting the recognition that he's long deserved. I have a feeling even once I've seen it I'll still prefer Terrence Howard's performance...but Hoffman has been at this outstanding level for far longer than Howard. It's simply his time.
Charlize Theron - She has an elegance and beauty that alone could take her a very long distance. What she's done with her career in the past couple of years with Monster and North Country, and The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, though, cements in my mind the notion that she'll be a star.
Christian Bale - Until this year, I never had much of an appreciation for Christian Bale. Why? I simply hadn't seen much of him. I never saw Equilibrium. I'd seen American Psycho when I was far too young to appreciate anything cinematic. In the past year, I've revisited American Psycho, and I've seen The Machinist and Batman Begins. I didn't like the vocal tones he used in Batman, but any actor willing to go through the physical transformations he did for those two roles (far more impressive than any weight fluctuation I've ever seen, including Theron in Monster and De Niro in Raging Bull) has my vote for the "something special" award.
Jamie Foxx - According to some, he's last year's Terrence Dashon Howard. Or, Howard is this year's Foxx. I think Jamie has been on peoples' radars for quite a while, though...since his musical and serious acting breakout in Any Given Sunday. Granted, it was no "Ray," but still...the guy's always been a bit of a household name. I don't see that changing anytime soon if he keeps on with the Jarheads and Collaterals.
Leonardo DiCaprio - One more standout performance in a Scorsese movie and he'll join that list of accomplished guys, methinks.
Cate Blanchett - I'm going to take a block of five consecuitive Blanchette films. Coffee and Cigarettes, a little Jim Jarmusch indie(?) film with a stellar ensemble cast. The Missing, a Ron Howard western/thriller. LOTR: Return of the King, a megabudget epic Best Picture winner. The Life Aquatic, a quirky Wes Anderson comedy. Last of all...The Aviator, a Scorsese biopic in which she channeled the late Katherine Hepburn to earn her second Oscar nomination and first win. This woman knows how to pick a role, and she has some serious acting chops to back that up. Kudos.
Kate Winslet - Who would have thought that both of the Titanic stars would make this list? Eternal Sunshine and Finding Neverland in the past couple of years. She was a bright spot in another film that I hated, The Life of David Gale. Then there's that boat movie, and her other two Oscar-nominated roles. Upcoming: Holiday could be a commercial success. All the Kings Men has a fucking mind-boggling cast that she's a part of. Hell, she's even doing voicework in Flushed Away. Yeah, she's on quite the roll.

I'll also add the following to the list:
Gael García Bernal - This guy is something special. He's among the top of nearly everybody's "best young actors" lists, and he has barely even tested the American filmmaking waters. I don't know if it's his ability to choose a role, or his ability to make a role something great, but what a filmography he's already made for himself. Amores perros, Y tu mama tambien, The Crime of Padre Amaro, Dot the I, The Motorcycle Diaries, Bad Education, The Science of Sleep, and he's got the third feature from Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Babel, on deck. One of the few actors who make me actively seek out the films they're in. In fact, the only other ones I can think of are Edward Norton, and older De Niro and Brando films. That's fine company.
Diego Luna - Another guy native to a different country's movie business who is breaking through here...and rightfully so. Y tu mama tambien, Frida, Open Range, the lead in Havana Nights (a bit role for a young guy fresh into the American market, regardless of what you think of the film), The Terminal, Criminal. And the following films featuring Luna are coming soon to a theater near you: Fade to Black (if you haven't heard of it, check out the kickass premise on IMDB), The Air I Breathe (a bit of poor casting in my opinion, but another promising premise), Toto (written and directed by Carlos Cuarón, one half of the team of brothers responsible for Y tu mama tambien, and starring the aforementioned Gael García Bernal), and last of all...Mister Lonely (the next feature from the always intriguing, recently stagnant Harmony Korine).
Naomi Watts - I don't think she's there yet, but she sure as hell is on the right path. I don't even need to list them, but I will anyway. Stay, Kong, The Ring, Huckabees, Assassination of Richard Nixon, 21 Grams, Mulholland...and that's just the last four years. Like I said, I don't think she's reached that status yet, but give her a few more years of the rush she's been on and she will be.
Nicholas Cage - Alright, hear me out. I know that he's already a household name. However, I don't think he's a particularly respected actor. His last five films were Adaptation, Matchstick Men, National Treasure, Lord of War, and The Weather Man. Four for five in terms of role selection and his actual performance. He's got nine films coming in the next two years that are all over the board in potential quality...but I think he's got it in him to become something more than just an action film frontman. Look at his early work in Moonstruck, Raising Arizona and Wild at Heart for exhibits A-C.
Paul Giamatti - Slowly making his way from character actor to accomplished dramatic performer. I think it started brilliantly in American Splendor and carried over through Sideways, Cinderella Man. Hopefully he keeps up this blistering pace with another young performer that I'm keeping my eye on, Bryce Dallas Howard, in M. Night Shyamalan's upcoming film Lady in the Water.
Ryan Gosling - This kid is so underrated it's not even funny. Don't believe me? Watch Stay, The Believer, The United States of Leland, or The Notebook. Hell, he was even good in a very mediocre Murder by Numbers.
Daniel Craig - Mark my words, this guy will explode soon. Enduring Love, Layer Cake, Munich, The Jacket...he's always great. With his role as Bond coming up, the sky is the limit. Layer Cake is one of my favorites, and he's been on my radar for a couple of years now. I'm so thrilled to see him getting the attention he deserves.
Ziyi Zhang - Sure, we all know her. Your average moviegoer doesn't, though. Not yet. 2046, House of Flying Daggers, Hero, Crouching Tiger, Purple Butterfly, Rush Hour 2, Memoirs of a Geisha. I do believe that list speaks for itself.
Others: Clive Owen, Jude Law, Paz Vega, Audrey Tautou, Adrien Brodey, Zach Braff, Tony Jaa, Evan Rachel Wood.

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 02-03-06 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-03-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts
No love for Scarlett Johanssen?
Old 02-03-06, 11:52 AM

I figured I'd let somebody else throw Johanssen and Portman into the mix. I like Johanssen, and adore Natalie Portman...but they're brought up so frequently in the "upcoming young actors and actresses" discussions that I decided to leave them off my list in favor of the likes of Ziyi Zhang and Evan Rachel Wood.

-JP
Old 02-03-06, 12:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
No love for Scarlett Johanssen?
i don't think she is really that good of an actress. she plays almost the same role in every film or at least she plays them all the same. "Lost in Translation", "In Good Company", "Match Point", and even "The Island"...i didn't see too much stretching or variances from one role to the next. i think she gets too much hype ever since LiT and it is undeserved.
Old 02-03-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i don't think she is really that good of an actress. she plays almost the same role in every film or at least she plays them all the same. "Lost in Translation", "In Good Company", "Match Point", and even "The Island"...i didn't see too much stretching or variances from one role to the next. i think she gets too much hype ever since LiT and it is undeserved.
That's almost word-for-word identical to Richard Roeper's rant on her.
Old 02-03-06, 12:38 PM

I liked her in "Girl With A Pearl Necklace"
Old 02-03-06, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
no? are you serious? it is really just my opinion.
Old 02-03-06, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
no? are you serious? it is really just my opinion and i don't think i ever heard him or read him discuss her.
Old 02-03-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think David Hasslehoff, Sly Stallone, and Urkel can be the best ever...
Old 02-03-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
50 Cent

On a more serious note, i would have to go with Christian Bale.
Old 02-03-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Natalie Portman has a chance. I loved her in Garden State and Cold Mountain.
Old 02-03-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
A pleasure to see Terrence Howard on this list. Like NatrlBornThrllr said, I was introduced to him on Dead Presidents too and immediately noticed the screen presence.

It took a while, but I'm glad to finally see him leap in the direction that I wanted to see happen for years....And hopefully, a lot more to come.
Old 02-03-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
no? are you serious? it is really just my opinion and i don't think i ever heard him or read him discuss her.
It was in part of his review for Match Point, he goes on about how she never really earned the roles she's been getting and is really not all that good, her scenes come across as forced, especially next to somebody like Emily Mortimer. Ebert mentioned that The Island was now available on DVD, and Roeper comes back with "She wasn't very good in that either."

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/eber...oint-early.mp3 or check out the PodCast.

My votes for this thread:

Natalie Portman
Charlize Theron (though she needs to avoid the shite)
Naomi Watts
Christian Bale
Eric Bana
Jim Carrey (I like his dramatic movies, what can I say.)
Thandie Newton (given the right roles)

Screw it, I agree with most of NBT's list. Huge props to Philip Seymore Hoffman getting some love, and I agree about Gael Garcia. Plus Clive Owen is the man, theres just no way around it, wish we got to know him when he was a tad younger, but all is well and his career is swelling.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-03-06 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-03-06, 04:36 PM

NatrlBornThrllr you have a fabulous list. Couldn't agree more with almost every choice. Except Nic Cage. He's on my Worst Actor Ever list.
Old 02-03-06, 04:51 PM

Heh, I figured Nicholas Cage would be the one selection to raise some eyebrows. Truth be told, Adaptation was my first introduction to moderately unconventional cinema...and it remains in my top-10. To this day I'm amazed at the performance he gives in that film. His placement on my list is based on that performance alone, and the potential shown therein. Shame that it doesn't look like he'll ever take advantage of it. :/

-JP
Old 02-03-06, 05:12 PM

Daniel Day-Lewis - Sure he's very well respected already for roles like My Left Foot, In the Name of the Father, Eternal Lightness of Being, and Gangs of NY, but most people forget to have him on "best" lists. It's because he's very selective with his roles and he must like doing other things in life besides acting. He's my all-time favorite and a few more solid roles will bring his name back into the light.
Old 02-03-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another vote for Cate Blanchette.
Up and coming...Rachel McAdams
Old 02-03-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe...I left out Cillian Murphy. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. Knows how to play the bad guy (Red Eye). This guy is gonna be a star.
Old 02-03-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Up and coming...Rachel McAdams
That sentence alone....
Old 02-03-06, 06:39 PM

Cillian Murphy
James Franco

These guys just need some breaks in landing a meaty role
Old 02-03-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Zhang Ziyi With so many solid performances in such a young career, the girl has shown she's got everything it takes to become one of the best ever. 8 of her first 10 roles have been outstanding: The Road Home, CTHD, HOFD, Hero, Musa, Purple Butterfly, 2046, Memoirs Of A Geisha. Hell you can even throw Rush Hour 2 in there. And the outlook for Jasmine Women and The Raccoon Opera is very high.

Keira Knightley is also a good choice. Someone basically just starting out but has put out some damn good performances: Bend It Like Beckham, Pride & Prejudice, The Jacket, Love Actually. Still too soon to tell, but I like the odds.

Colin Farrell. He started out great with roles in Tigerland, Hart's War, Minority Report, and The Recruit (which while flawed, I can't get enough of that movie). A little better in Intermission, A Home At The End Of The World, and The New World. And definitely showed he's got the chops for good old brainless American action in SWAT.

And I still have a soft spot for Larenz Tate. Anyone who can go from his completely believable gangbanger 'O-dog' in Menace II Society to the equally believable geek 'Drew' in the Inkwell has some pretty damn good acting chops in my book. Solid as a rock performances in under appreciated movies such as Love Jones, Dead Presidents, and Why Do Fools Fall In Love. And hopefully some good roles in the future after his superb role in Crash.
Old 02-03-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
just out of curiousity would Brad Pitt, Robin Williams and George Clooney not cout because they are already both house hold names? The three of these actors are established and im sure will be remembered in 20 years. George Clooney is also becoming quite the director. I loved the 2 movies hes directed so far.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.