Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Terrence Malick movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best Terrence Malick Film
The New World
7.81%
The Thin Red Line
35.94%
Days of Heaven
12.50%
Badlands
18.75%
Lanton Mills (missed this one meself, oops!)
0%
All pretentous B.S.
25.00%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

I just saw The New World today and found it to be a beautiful movie. However, in terms of story I found it quite tedious at times, and it's a good thing I love picturesque images on screen or I might have walked out. That said, I have seen every Malick movie and notice that seems to be the case with all of his works. Since he seldom makes a movie and his list is rather short, why not try and pick the favorite of the bunch, or maybe some of you think his work is pretentous B.S. and would like to let it be known.
Old 01-29-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't vote because I saw Badlands so long ago I barely remember it. But I did just come back from The New World and enjoyed it immensely. I didn't even think about how little dialogue was in the movie until I heard two guys afterwards complaining about how much time was spent with the actors just looking at each other. Still thought it was a gorgeous movie.
Old 01-29-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There all really pretty, and I thought The New World was very satisfying, but I gotta pick The Thin Red Line - the film that woke me up to Malick. Just saw Badlands for the first time, though, and for a Malick film, it's lean and mean. Never heard of Lanton Mills, unfortunately - I'll have to seek it out.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 01-29-06, 06:47 PM

Badlands for me. Days of Heaven is rather close but I have to give the nod to the overwhelmingly fantastic Badlands.

If I had to rank it would be like this for myself (which seems to be chronologically, it's not to say he is degrading as a director by any means although it may seem that way via this list)...

Badlands
Days of Heaven
The Thin Red Line
The New World

Last edited by cfloyd3; 01-29-06 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-29-06, 08:38 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
I have yet to see The New World. That said, my favorite is Badlands.
Old 01-29-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seen all but the New World (and Lanton Mills... what the heck is that?) Badlands is the only one that really resonates with me emotionally.
Old 01-30-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish some of the ones who voted his work pretentous B.S. would come out and defend their views.
Old 01-30-06, 01:26 PM

I've only seen Thin Red Line and while I voted for "pretentious B.S.” that isn't really accurate, it was just the best choice out of the bunch. That was the last film that I almost walked out on. The film itself was gorgeous to look at. It also had a great cast, but no coherent story. For some that isn’t a problem, in fact it seems some people embrace it. For me I just found it extremely painful.

By all accounts the New World is in the same mold. My question for all you Malick fans is Badlands& Days of Heaven also in the same mold? I've been thinking about giving one of those a shot but if they are similar than I probably wouldn't bother.

I wouldn’t label it "pretentious B.S.”, I can see why other s might like or even love it. It’s just not my cup of tea.
Old 01-30-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Days of Heaven for me (although it was mainly because of Néstor Almendros' cinematography)
Old 01-30-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts
I've only seen TRL and TNW. And while I love the visual style for both, the dialogue really kills it for me, especially the voice over narrative.
Old 01-30-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
By all accounts the New World is in the same mold. My question for all you Malick fans is Badlands& Days of Heaven also in the same mold? I've been thinking about giving one of those a shot but if they are similar than I probably wouldn't bother.
I thought Thin Red Line was pretentious garbage. Badlands, however, is a gritty masterpiece.

ETA: According to IMDB Lanton Mills is a 12 minute short from 1969. It's highly unlikely that it's available anywhere.
Old 01-30-06, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
I've only seen Thin Red Line and while I voted for "pretentious B.S.” that isn't really accurate, it was just the best choice out of the bunch. That was the last film that I almost walked out on. The film itself was gorgeous to look at. It also had a great cast, but no coherent story. For some that isn’t a problem, in fact it seems some people embrace it. For me I just found it extremely painful.

I wouldn’t label it "pretentious B.S.”, I can see why other s might like or even love it. It’s just not my cup of tea.
I would definitely recommend Badlands for you over Days of Heaven. Badlands is definitely the most conventional movie of his that I've seen. I haven't seen The New World though.

Also, for those interested, Lanton Mills appears to be some kind of short he did: imdb entry
Old 01-30-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember watching Days of Heaven during a Christmas Break when I was still in school; I slept very well.
Old 01-30-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Badlands - excellent
The New World - really, really great
The Thin Red Line - really good
Days of Heaven - just...okay

Never seen the other one.
Old 01-30-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Thin Read Line is my favorite American film of the 1990s....

I easily rank Malick among my favorite 5 directors despite the fact that he has only made 4 features.
Old 01-30-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen them all aside from TNW, and Badlands gets my vote. Days of Heaven I've always enjoyed due to the gorgeous soundtrack and magnificent cinematography. The Thin Red Line certainly has its fans, however, it never really appealed to me.
Old 01-30-06, 08:38 PM
Cool New Member

I thought The New World was the only film of his I've seen but I just realized that I've also seen The Thin Red Line. I remember almost nothing about it just that I saw it once and thought it was horribly written. I liked TNW. My only problem with it is that he overdid it with the whispered dialogue. At times the movie felt like a perfume commericial - I kept on expecting to hear "Escape... Calvin Klein" - and it bothered me that most of the time I couldn't hear what they were saying. I saw the longer version so maybe he cut out a lot of the whispering scenes.
Old 02-06-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only seen The Thin Red Line & The New World. I didn't like TTRL the first time I saw it, but recent viewings I have enjoyed. I thought the New World was excellent. I loved the way that the movie was done in almost "silent" fashion. It hardly needed words at all to tell the story.
Old 02-07-06, 12:31 AM

My first experience with Terrence Malick was during the early-90's when I first saw "Days of Heaven" on AMC. The way the host of AMC movies at the time (his name escapes me) spoke of the director, it was like he was some sort Salingeresque figure. That of course peaked interest in my then mid-teen mind. The thing I remember about the presentation was that it was the first time the film had been shown letterboxed on tv. From there I discovered "Badlands" on home video, subsequently, it's one of my favorite movies.

In early 1999 I read the press for "The Thin Red Line" and I can't tell you how stoked I was to see the film -- I wasn't disappointed. It immediately became my second favorite film of the 1990's (second only to "GoodFellas"). I think I saw it 4 times between 1st run and 2nd run theaters around Memphis. Completely obsessed with that movie...

I saw "The New World" a few weeks ago and I must say I did find myself completely taken with the movie though I'm not sure that it rests as a 'great' movie, but merely a very good one.
Old 02-07-06, 01:01 AM

Haha.. I found this on the IMDB, I wrote it in 1999 as a 'review' of TTRL. Note to self...don't quit your day job. A little thievery from great critics and some big words, but my heard was in the right place:

A juxtaposition of war and nature, 6 April 1999

In 1978 Terrence Malick released "Days of Heaven" which was heralded as one of the best films of the 1970's. Critics noticed that his other film, 1973's "Badlands" held many of the same characteristics.

Malick's pictures tend toward the meandering side of storytelling. Using characters as devices in a setting of such beauty and awe that the viewer is forced to read between the lines, the story isn't laid out for you to read plainly.

So goes his newest film "The Thin Red Line" which was nationally released on January 15th, 1999. Many criticisms of the film fall under categories such as: tedious, too long, pretentious, uneven, etc. The criticisms, though warranted in theory, simply have no basis.

In fact, "The Thin Red Line" tells a prodigiously epic story of men, some nameless, that have their guts shot out during the battle in 1942 on the Island of Guadalcanal, in the Solomon Islands.

Though the film does go from showing the lush nature and sense of "Eden" on one island to the carnage on another, if you follow closely, you'll see the point. The film needs no explaining, it's an anti-war film in the greatest sense.

Francois Truffaut once said that 'it's not possible to make an anti-war film, because all war movies, with their energy and sense of adventure, end up making combat look fun'. Had the great Truffaut lived to see Terrence Malick's "The Thin Red Line", I imagine he might recant that statement. "The Thin Red Line" is one of the best films of the 1990's.
Old 02-07-06, 01:02 AM

heard = heart