Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Omen remake teaser

Old 04-29-06, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bible is all true or not true at all.
The concept of THE OMEN is taken from The Bible.
The original does a good job of telling of what it says in the Book of Revelation. Of course it didn't mention the anti-christ as a little boy just of what he will do as a man.
Old 04-29-06, 10:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Hogwash! The Bible has reference to several real historical events and persons. So, even for the non-believer parts of it can (and are) true.
Old 04-29-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 184 Posts
As with the Amityville Horror, I'll check this one out on rental. It doesn't look all that bad, but the original is still one of the freakier movies.

At least it's still all for Damien, that rocks.
Old 04-30-06, 04:25 AM
Banned

Is this film really necessary? Wasn't the first one pretty damn creepy and scary. It was to me, but I was young at the time and have not seen it in years. Wonder if it holds up now?

The scenes in the new trailer look exactly like the scenes in the original film, so I don't get it.
Old 04-30-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts
Then it ain't true. There are WAY too many inconsistencies and historical inaccuracies that, according to your exceedingly narrow-minded vision, disprove any semblance of veracity the Bible may or may not have.

Extreme fundamentalism is the death of common sense.
Old 04-30-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts
Have you read it Matt?
Old 04-30-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Have you read it Matt?
The Old Testament, every last verse, chapter, and book. Many, many times. I spent six months in Israel and the West Bank doing historical and archeological research from a biblical perspective.

There's a lot of hooey in there folks. I'm not anti-religion, anti-God. I'm neither an atheist nor an agnostic. But if you believe the Bible as ASBOLUTE HISTORICAL TRUTH, you're just deluding yourself. As allegory, as a moral foundation, that's another story...

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 04-30-06 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-30-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
Is this film really necessary? Wasn't the first one pretty damn creepy and scary. It was to me, but I was young at the time and have not seen it in years. Wonder if it holds up now?

The scenes in the new trailer look exactly like the scenes in the original film, so I don't get it.
I bought the box set a few years ago, a while (of course) it's dated, the picture quality is fantastic. And the movie is still very very effective. Yeah, the remake looks like it was done scene for scene. Why? Just like the "Psycho" remake. I'll stick with the original. And catch this one on HBO some day.

Back to the boxset, "The Omen II" is as dreadful as I remember. And the third one, still not bad. I still haven't watched the fourth one. The TV movie.
Old 05-01-06, 12:48 PM
Banned

Sticking with just The Omen part. There have been Bible experts or preachers if you want to call them that spoke about how Europe will become a superpower with the Anti-Christ as the ruler. This was mentioned in the original movie and I heard this mentioned by many preachers in the early 1980's when Europe wasn't a superpower.
There was a front page article in the Chicago Tribune how Europe is now a superpower.
This artical was I believe in 2000 or 2001.
Now Europe does not yet have a ruler, but they do all have a same currancy except for maybe 2 countries.
And of course the 666 number that says in the Bible that nobody can buy or sell unless they have that mark. In this century we have that technology to do that. They are computer chips that can be inserted in the hand and work like a credit card.
So it's all there in the Bible.
I'm not going to begin to call some of you names because you don't believe in the Bible, because after all in the end the devil isn't forgiven and not everybody goes to heaven. And if I'm not mistaken you can't play the race card to get to heaven.
Old 05-01-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We are al in the matrix!!!!!

It's been years since I saw the original (I was a kid) but I remember it being freaky. I'll wait for the reviews on this one.
Old 05-01-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And of course the 666 number that says in the Bible that nobody can buy or sell unless they have that mark. In this century we have that technology to do that. They are computer chips that can be inserted in the hand and work like a credit card.
So it's all there in the Bible.
Which versionof the Bible? King James? New American? New Jerusalem? All of the above? None? OR are you referring to some earlier manuscripts?

Because the earliest surviving manuscript of REVELATIONS reveals that the Number of the Beast is 616.

Which should lead to believe that NOTHING in the Bible is absolute.

I'm not going to begin to call some of you names because you don't believe in the Bible, because after all in the end the devil isn't forgiven and not everybody goes to heaven. And if I'm not mistaken you can't play the race card to get to heaven.
Why is using common sense and logic counterintuitive to faith to so many people? You can believe in the Word of God and STILL place the Bible in historical and allegorical perspective.

"The race card"... fucking classic.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 05-01-06 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Which versionof the Bible? King James? New American? New Jerusalem? All of the above? None? OR are you referring to some earlier manuscripts?

Because the earliest surviving manuscript of REVELATIONS reveals that the Number of the Beast is 616.
I thought it had changed (in Hollywood) to 555-1212
Old 05-01-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I thought it had changed (in Hollywood) to 555-1212
Quit playing the race card. You're going to HELL!!!
Old 05-02-06, 01:24 AM

The "antichrist" is never once mentioned in the Book of Revelations. The term only appears in Johnannine writings, and even then, when looked at closely, seems to refer to those who, in the early Christian tradition, preached docetism (the belief that Christ was all divine, and only appeared to be human.) As such, wm lopez is incorrect.
Old 05-02-06, 05:16 PM
Banned

The word antichrist is never mentioned in the Bible?
If you can watch the THE OMEN dvd and look at the Special Features part of the dvd you will see where the producers came up with this story. Oh and it wasn't a Metallica album.
Old 05-02-06, 07:10 PM

The term antichrist is in the Bible, in the letters of John. Just no where in Revelations. And the people who made up the Omen got their ideas from misinterpretations of Revelations. Interesting, entertaining misinterpretations, sure, but misinterpretations none the less.

In anycase, I don't see the point of this movie. I'll probably wind up renting the old version and watching it that day.
Old 05-02-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I think it looks pretty good. I loved the original, and I'm glad this one seems to follow the original. My big complaint...the priest doesn't look as creepy as the original. He was the scariest part of the movie for me.

Hey you Doctor Who fans out there... do you realize that Patrick Troughton played the priest in the original The Omen ?

Old 05-02-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
"EX-TERM-I-NATE the Son Of God!!! EX-TERM-I-NATE the Son Of God!!!"

Old 06-01-06, 08:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I just came back from a preview of the new version of THE OMEN - and I have to say as a remake of a classic horror movie - this was pretty unnescesary. For such a great cast, the movie on the whole was rather a letdown, for starters it wasn't scary. Damien elisted more laughs than scares - he has this look that is more of a pout. The movie's pace also plods here and there and could have been edited by about ten minutes or so. The thunder strorms are so stagey and manufactured it in of it self is a cliche. From what I can tell it's pretty much a carbon copy of the original except for one
Spoiler:
death
scene - and it's a hoot and a half. All in all, it's Mia Farrow who steals the movie and is really only the real positive attribute I can recommend.

If I were to give a rating I'd give it a C
Old 06-02-06, 05:32 PM
Banned

The kid doesn't look the part of something like the original's kid which had that bad boy angelic look. This kid looks more like SOUTH PARK campy kid.
Old 06-02-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The teaser did nothing for me at all...I don't understand how someone could find that creepy, but several people did apparently. The kid seems to be playing what he thinks (or was told) is "evil". The original kid actually smiled occasionally, and that was kinda creepy.
Old 06-03-06, 03:06 AM
Banned

Hello!!

The original OMEN is a terrific film. Sure, it's no EXORCIST or ROSEMARY'S BABY, but it's damn good. Anyone who goes to see this film and considers themself as a true film buff, should have their head examined. It's pretty much a shot-for- shot remake, just like Psycho. And even if it wasn't, there's nothing to improve upon from the original film. The film still holds up very well. Btw, if anyone hasn't figured it out yet, Liev Schrieber (sp?) is no Gregory Peck. And Juila Stiles....gimme a break.

KC
Old 06-03-06, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
"EX-TERM-I-NATE the Son Of God!!! EX-TERM-I-NATE the Son Of God!!!"

Hey, what espresso machine is that? I want one!