Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What are some good 70s movies ?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What are some good 70s movies ?

Old 01-29-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 891 Likes on 625 Posts
Going by most reponses in the this thread, you would think the only country to make movies in the 70's was the U.S.
Old 01-29-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not everyone likes or is interested in foreign films.
Old 01-29-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A lot of good choices.
How about Three Days of the Condor?
Old 01-30-06, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Taking of Pelham 123
Old 01-30-06, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Going by most reponses in the this thread, you would think the only country to make movies in the 70's was the U.S.
Le Cercle Rouge and Scenes From a Marriage made my list. Even still, I feel quite confident in saying that the United States contributed far, far more great films during the 1970's than did the rest of the world. Coppola, Scorsese, Altman, Woody Allen, Bogdanovich, Mel Brooks...these guys were at or nearing the top of their game in the 70's. Plus, you had guys like Spielberg coming into their own and making some exciting stuff. Meanwhile, most of the renowned foreign filmmakers simply weren't at their best during that time. As such, American films dominated the decade.

There were some great foreign films in the 1970s, just as there are in every other decade. However, I have no problem with everybody's "best of the 70s" lists being dominated by American films. It's only honest.

-JP
Old 01-30-06, 08:31 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by gfoots
The Taking of Pelham 123

I'll add:

Serpico
The Conversation
Klute
Old 01-30-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gfoots
The Taking of Pelham 123
That's one of my favorites. I was going to post that one and two other serious Walter Matthau flicks:

The Laughing Policeman
Charley Varrick
Old 01-30-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Le Cercle Rouge and Scenes From a Marriage made my list. Even still, I feel quite confident in saying that the United States contributed far, far more great films during the 1970's than did the rest of the world. Coppola, Scorsese, Altman, Woody Allen, Bogdanovich, Mel Brooks...these guys were at or nearing the top of their game in the 70's. Plus, you had guys like Spielberg coming into their own and making some exciting stuff. Meanwhile, most of the renowned foreign filmmakers simply weren't at their best during that time. As such, American films dominated the decade.

There were some great foreign films in the 1970s, just as there are in every other decade. However, I have no problem with everybody's "best of the 70s" lists being dominated by American films. It's only honest.

-JP
Not to mention some great performances from De Niro, Pacino, Nicholson, Hackman, Hoffman, and others. Some of those being their best ever. The 70s were just great all around. I'm not sure we'll see a better group of actors and directors hitting their peak like we saw in the 70s.
Old 01-30-06, 10:15 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
The Godfather
The Godfather, Part 2
Rocky
Star Wars
Jaws
Superman
Slap Shot
Animal House

Everyone of these movies has aged very well, and comparing these to movies today shows the sad state of new movies.
Old 01-30-06, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Not to mention some great performances from De Niro, Pacino, Nicholson, Hackman, Hoffman, and others. Some of those being their best ever. The 70s were just great all around. I'm not sure we'll see a better group of actors and directors hitting their peak like we saw in the 70s.
Yeah, I don't know why I didn't even think to mention the actors. The guys you named go hand-in-hand with the directors I mentioned. One without the other doesn't add up to such a great film/decade of film. Their work together was what made for such consistant quality. Well put.

-JP
Old 01-30-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 297 Likes on 216 Posts
Death Wish
The Mechanic
Old 01-30-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Shining was 1980