Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pulse.....New Horror movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pulse.....New Horror movie

Old 07-04-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
Oookay, this film has been moved once again, but this time it's to August 11th.
yay, a month earlier. and there's another horror movie comeing out the 2nd of august called "the descent" released by lions gate
Old 07-04-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dimension has killed any anticipation I had for this film. I saw the original, and really liked it a lot. When I first saw the trailer for this film, I thought it looked interesting. Then I saw the trailer a few times, and I thought it looked...kinda lame. Looks like they took the original and turned it into something that might appeal to 13 year olds.

It was set for March 3rd. Then they pulled it from that date. They set it for July 14th. They did re-shoots in May for 1 week in Los Angeles. They test screened the new footage...Then they pulled it from it's release date in July. They set it for September 8th...Then they changed it again to August 11th.

It seems to me that at this point they're trying to find the perfect weekend to dump the film to try and maximize the small amount of money that this movie will make.

I'm not looking forward to seeing this (I was at first), and I won't spend my money on it in the theater, unless it comes to the local 2 dollar theater.
Old 07-04-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it could be exactly like the original and I wouldn't be surprised if studio execs have no idea what to do with it or how to position it in the schedule.
Old 07-05-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 299 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I saw the original last year and didn't like it at all. Similar to The Grudge...a lot of the horror elements just didn't seem to translate well to American audiences. So I'm iffy about the remake.

-JP
My thought exactly...
Old 07-16-06, 11:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I don't care how much it sucks. It has Kristen Bell.
Old 07-17-06, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You'd think they would have wanted to go ahead and put it out now, what with the Pink Floyd DVD having just been released.
Old 07-26-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, according to wikipedia the movie has been rated PG-13 for for Violent/Disturbing images, Frightening Sequences and Brief Nudity. While its not R, I'll still go see it and what not (and yeah, this thread will probably get moved to DVD Stalk right.
Old 07-26-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I did see a tv spot which did say PG-13,but did not see any notice on filmratings.com yet.

Instead it had two R rated listings, the first one "For some violent images"...then second "For violent/disturbing images: pending appeal".

The PG-13 and reshoots galore/new ending have killed any interest I had in this film. And it shows the Weinsteins have'nt changed a bit since moving on their own again.
Old 07-26-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the "for some violent images" was for the original. Also, do we know for a fact that the ending was changed?
Old 07-26-06, 02:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
wasn't this supposed to have been released by now... guess the retinkering is the fault here.
Old 07-26-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

original date was march 3, then it was delayed for reshoots to july, then sept, then finally at the current date of august 12.
Old 08-03-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just watched the original again last night, and now I am wondering how faithful to the original this one will be (if you look at the ring, the grudge and dark water, they are pretty faithfull to the original movies), mainly because many of the money shots in the trailer, are not in the original, like the shot with Ms Bell on one side of the wall and the ghost on the other, and the whole laundruy scene in the with Christina Milian.

Also, I really like how the film was shot (very low budget, many static single take shots and slow pacing to create mood ect), so now I'm affraid that becuase today's teenagers can't handle a slower paced movie, they'll make it shorter, and a more styalized look and feel.
Old 08-03-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the final rating for this one - PG-13 or R?
Old 08-04-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's PG-13. I saw the American Remake this past week. It's not very good. The original is much better. And in case anyone is wondering what they cut out to get the PG-13, they cut out the
Spoiler:
water tower suicide
, but they still are putting it in the tv spots. How nice of them.

The movie has some pretty laughable parts in it, I was surprised that they didn't get cut out. One of the scenes is actually a re-shot scene, but it plays out as if it was written by a middle schooler who wants to be a screen writer.

There are a few nifty, kinda creepy moments, but they are far and few between. Not awful, but just not that good. I can't quite recommend it. Wait for the unrated DVD, which the director has already said is coming.
Old 08-04-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the opening credits, they are trying to show lots of computers and screens with things being typed on them, such as chatroom conversations...And the first thing someone types in is "www.chatroom.com"

That really made a lot of people in the audience laugh, the fact that they used the most basic domain name possible to get the point across.
Old 08-11-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did this not open up today? Why in the world doesn't it have a score at RottenTomatoes yet?

Over at Bloody-Disgusting, they gave this one a 1.5/5 review score:

"In a film about suicide, it’s a miracle I made it out of the theater before killing myself."

http://bloody-disgusting.com/review/704
Old 08-11-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Did this not open up today? Why in the world doesn't it have a score at RottenTomatoes yet?

Over at Bloody-Disgusting, they gave this one a 1.5/5 review score:

"In a film about suicide, itís a miracle I made it out of the theater before killing myself."

http://bloody-disgusting.com/review/704
If you click on it, it currently has 17 reviews with a 55% freshness rating. Now that all the people paid to say nice things about it are done, I am hoping for the real critics to give it an accurate rating.
Old 08-11-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With good reason. Pulse was one of the most boring and tedious horror movies I've seen in a long time...well, since The Grudge anyhow, which I also HATED. I LOVE Kristen Bell, I LOVE Ron Rifkin and I LOVE Brad Dourif, but all three combined couldn't save this movie. Just brutal dialogue, horrible editing and the all too typical desaturated "moody/creepy" look resulting in a movie that is barely coherent, and even when it is, you just don't give a fuck.

Zoom looks awful and is probably one of the few major flicks I'll skip this year...I wish I could have said the same about Pulse.

MATT
Old 08-12-06, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A pity. A rare misstep by Kristen Bell. But then, I probably would have signed onto a film with a script attached to Wes Craven that's a J-horror remake too. A momentarily hot genre. Oh well...onto season 3 of Veronica Mars.
Old 08-12-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From NY TIMES - Aug 12:

By NATHAN LEE

The shameless marketing of Hollywood schlock reaches a new low in the print advertisements for "Pulse," which feature a blurb declaring it "unlike any horror film you've seen before or will ever see!" Leaving aside the abundant precedent for such barrel-bottom junk, and the fact that you'll surely see more of its kind, the film is a remake -- a remake! -- of the 2001 cult hit "Kairo" by Kiyoshi Kurosawa.
It is true that this new "Pulse" is nothing like the original, although it does mimic the plot fundamentals (ghosts seep through the Internet; teenagers freak out; the world comes to an end) and several visual ideas (spooky streaming video; bright red tape used to ward off spirits). Gone, however, are any traces of Mr. Kurosawa's creepy minimalism and conceptual rigor, the combination of which suggested any movie Michelangelo Antonioni might have made were he reincarnated as a Japanese horror maestro with an AOL account.
The essential mystery of "Pulse" has nothing to do with diabolical text messaging and what Mattie (Kristen Bell), our bimbo heroine, can do to stop it, but rather what took this remake so long. Bob and Harvey Weinstein acquired "Kairo" when its technophobic premise still felt timely, and then suppressed its theatrical release so that Wes Craven could make a remake. (In 2005 Magnolia Pictures acquired the rights to the original and released it.)
Mr. Craven (now credited as co-writer) has since dropped out, replaced by an unknown named Jim Sonzero, whose witless direction feels understandably exhausted, given the circumstances. Perhaps the delay was the result of the producers' working up the nerve to demand that posters of their other movies ("Chicago," "Sin City") be prominently displayed in the production design.

A must to avoid ....
Old 08-12-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ya know, I was looking forward to this after I noticed the commercial a couple of weeks ago. It looked interesting, plus Kristen Bell and Christina Milian.

Then, I think it was last night on the Attack of the Show on G4, I heard the plot premise, and heard it was a remake of a Japanese original, and I knew then it would be awful.
Old 08-12-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

eh, I've seen worse. I noticed that the director liked the females, since there seemed to many shots of Ms Bell and Ms Millian's rack in closeup (before panning up to see that its them). I think the main problem was the guy who was "Boone" on lost. It felt like he was there for a paycheck and nothing else.
I am currious to see what the R rated version is like. Maybe its me, but nothing stood out as "reshoot footage". I also noticed that the random suicide that is in the trailer (and original) was nowhere to be seen. Unlike Boone, Kristen bell can actually pass off as a teenager and not as someone in their 20's or 30's playing teens (I think shes 25 now.)
Old 08-12-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pretty horrible movie where the "scares" elicited laughter from my audience. Avoid. Go see "The Descent" instead.

I give it 1 star, or a grade of D.
Old 08-12-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe its me, but nothing stood out as "reshoot footage".
The reshoot scenes were the cafe scene wtih Brad Dourif, and the scene in the street with the man with a gun and his wife (she screamed about Wi-Fi and "Save yourselves!"). It really jumped out at me as being reshoot stuff, and sure enough it was. It was also unintentionally funny.
Old 08-12-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
'Lacks a "Pulse", would have been the title of many a reviews had this thing screened. Ever been to a horror movie and not been scared....not even a little. Well, now I have.

I saw The Descent last week and was at the top of the horror movie world....boy did I fall off the cliff quickly. I wasn't a fan of the original, but at least it was trying at something. Aside from the ghost story there was some sub-text, social commentary, characters that didn't act like bad movie characters.

Not being a fan of the original, you may wonder why I went to see the American version - I was just hoping they would take the skeleton of the idea (which is really good) and re-work it. They took that skeleton, added some stuff of their own, and the end result was actually worse.

Spoiler:
I know why they added the "origin" story - its just something Western audiences need, but they couldn't have come up with a better one, or one that took more than 2 minutes? And the ending, of course our beautiful couple lives on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.