Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

question about where they filmed the supermarket scenes in "go" 1999

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a joyride trying to get lost through la and beverly hills i stumbled upon a supermarket on the corner of sunset and the pacific coast highway, namely

vons
17380 Sunset Blvd
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272

after looking at it for a minute it kinda looked like the supermarket they filmed scenes of "go" in. it seems there are plenty of these supermarkets in Los angeles and i am wondering if this is the exact location supermarket they filmed at???

I wish i had the dvd somewhere near me but i looked for it for 1 hour and i need to sleep, must of lent it out.
Old 01-24-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure.....but they discuss it on the commentary. They picked one that looked a bit run down. When they came to film, the store had been revamped....so they had to spend money to make it look kind of dumpy again.
Old 01-25-06, 07:27 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Actually I think the supermarket was in the valley someplace, probably Reseda or Panorama City in which case they wouldn't have had to do too much to make it look like a hellhole.

I haven't listened to the commentary but that's my best guess. I think it was actually a Jon's as well. Jon's supermarkets are basically old Von's markets that have been sold off to Jon's which primarily caters to an Armenian Middle Eastern clientele and aren't nearly as 'corporate' looking.

If it was in Pacific Palisades it would have been way too much work to make it look so bad. Actually the one you describe is right across from Gladstones on the beach so I really doubt they would have used that location just from a logistics standpoint. Too busy.
Old 01-25-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I'm not sure.....but they discuss it on the commentary. They picked one that looked a bit run down. When they came to film, the store had been revamped....so they had to spend money to make it look kind of dumpy again.
Yeah, what he said.

I don't think they ever said exactly which store it was.