Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler need to return to the kind of movies that got them famous

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler need to return to the kind of movies that got them famous

Old 01-19-06, 01:48 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,008
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler need to return to the kind of movies that got them famous

I don't know how anyone else feels, but I am sick and tired of these watered down "comedies" that Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler seem to keep churning out. The last actual good comedy that Carrey made was Me, Myself, & Irene back in 2000. Since then, he has only made mainstream, sentimental crap like Bruce Almighty and Fun with Dick and Jane, or kids movies like The Grinch and Lemony Snicket (Eternal Sunshine, of course, fits in neither of those categories, and while it is a good movie, any respectable actor could have played that part). For Sandler, I would say his last good comedy was Little Nicky (maybe Anger Management but that was only funny because of Jack Nicholson, not Sandler's lethargic performance). Like Carrey, he then proceeded to make nothing but generic, sentimental and/or unfunny comedies and dramas like Mr. Deeds, Spanglish, Longest Yard, 8 Crazy Nights etc... I want to see Carrey make more movies like Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber, and Sandler make more like Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore. I know the argument is that both actors want to do more "serious" work, but in my opinion that is bullshit. They need to stop selling out and return to the kinds of comedies that made them who they are today. As a former big fan of both, I am very disappointed.
Old 01-19-06, 01:56 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,058
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure they find your disapproval very upsetting on a deeply personal level.
Old 01-19-06, 01:59 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,767
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry but i thought Little Nicky sucked big fat ones.......
Old 01-19-06, 02:03 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, forget ever expanding as an actor and going into different roles. Lets just stick with being typecasted forever.

Carrey's Fun with Dick and Jane showed that you could make Mike's hard lemonade out of lemons. It had terrible word of mouth going into it and a bloated budget and somehow did well for itself.

I want to see Carrey make more movies like Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber, and Sandler make more like Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore.
Ugh, that would be annoying. Adam Sandler has pretty much played Billy Madison in every movie anyways. You just want stupid comedies

I know the argument is that both actors want to do more "serious" work, but in my opinion that is bullshit.
Wow, pretty interesting opinion there. Any reason you have to justify it? I mean, is it a good career choice for either actor?

They need to stop selling out and return to the kinds of comedies that made them who they are today.
Wait.. what? Wouldn't they be "selling out" if they were playing the same roles to applease you? The word "sell out" doesn't belong here at all as by the very nature of acting, a person sells themself.
Old 01-19-06, 02:07 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: stage left
Posts: 338
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would argue that 8 crazy nights and Mr. Deeds were identical to Happy Gilmore in their formula. No big change or sell out there. But, I like when an actor steps out of his usual role type. I really liked Spanglish. Carrey was excellent in Eternal Sunshine. Replacing him with any actor is irrelevant. He was the reason I went to see that movie.
Old 01-19-06, 02:10 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,650
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Jim Carrey has never been the same since The Cable Guy. That didn't do well at the box office cause people were not expecting him to be a bad guy, and it was a very black satirical comedy in most parts of the movie.

But I love the movie, Jim Carrey had some balls in it, he didn't play it safe like Liar Liar and Bruce Almighty. Those are good movies, but not edgy, and it is more of a feelgood family movie. I believe Jim Carrey didn't like the criticism by fans that he was a jerk in the movie, but he was hysterical playing that part.

Jim Carrey's only great comedies:

Ace Ventura (1994)
Dumb & Dumber (1994)
The Cable Guy (1996)

When the guy is on, he is the funniest physical comedian alive.
Old 01-19-06, 02:57 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,767
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But he also did a great job in Truman Show and Man on the Moon.... he deserved oscar nominations for either(especially MOTM)

Sandler will never be serious.... Punch Drunk Love was just weird

I dont know... i would like to see them back in comedies like the old days but its different now
Old 01-19-06, 03:04 PM
  #8  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,421
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do to a degree agree with you. I they both excelled as characters who were either obnoxious or stupid (or both). Both of them had their funniest (IMO) movies in that era. I agree with coli that Cable Guy was probably the last straw for Carrey (as Little Nicky was for Sandler). The sting of those flops (in terms of mainstream audiences) does seem to have led them down paths of taking less risky material. Honestly, I thought Punch Drunk Love was closer to the spirit of the old Sandler movies than any of his recent 'Happy Madison' productions, even if it was the arthouse twist on it.
Old 01-19-06, 03:28 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sand Point
Posts: 2,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen a pro-typecasting thread before.
Old 01-19-06, 03:31 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,460
Received 476 Likes on 306 Posts
I've never thought Sandler was worth anything, so I couldn't care less about the career choices he makes.

But Carrey...I think "Me Myself and Irene" is a stinking pile of shit, actually. One of the worst "comedies" I've ever seen. And "Dumb and Dumber" is one of my favorite comedies of all time, so it's not like I don't "get" it.

However, I like "Liar Liar" and "Bruce Almighty," as well as his turns in "Eternal Sunshine" and "The Truman Show." I actually liked "Lemony Snicket's" as well, made me want to go read the books.

As long as he keeps up a mix of comedy and dramedy type stuff, I'll be there to see it.
Old 01-19-06, 04:20 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with an actor attempting to branch out. No actor wants to be typecasted. You want to see Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler stick to what made them famous? Okay. Did you also want to see Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal stick to what made them famous? Well, they did...and look at how well that worked out for `em.

While I appreciated Jim Carrey for his goofy comedy in The Mask, Ace Ventura, and Dumb and Dumber...I can also appreciate (to a greater extent, actually) what he did to turn his career in a different direction with movies like The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, The Majestic, and Eternal Sunshine. Even though it's a Schumacher picture, I'll probably still end up seeing "The Number 23" simply to see how he does in a thriller. I appreciate an actor who branches out far more than one that is comfortable being typecasted. If anything, I'd say the latter is a "sell-out," not the former.

-JP
Old 01-19-06, 04:37 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Joe Molotov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,507
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Jim Carrey has made some very good career choices, with stuff like The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. There's only so many times you do the same old schtick before people get tired of it, and if you try to do it a few too many times, then you may end up toasting your career. Just look at Pauly Shore and Tom Green.
Old 01-19-06, 05:48 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,008
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Holysmoker
I would argue that 8 crazy nights and Mr. Deeds were identical to Happy Gilmore in their formula. No big change or sell out there. But, I like when an actor steps out of his usual role type. I really liked Spanglish. Carrey was excellent in Eternal Sunshine. Replacing him with any actor is irrelevant. He was the reason I went to see that movie.
They may have been close in formula, but the BIG difference is that Happy Gilmore is a comedy classic and those other two suck.
Old 01-19-06, 05:49 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,008
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coli
Jim Carrey has never been the same since The Cable Guy. That didn't do well at the box office cause people were not expecting him to be a bad guy, and it was a very black satirical comedy in most parts of the movie.

But I love the movie, Jim Carrey had some balls in it, he didn't play it safe like Liar Liar and Bruce Almighty. Those are good movies, but not edgy, and it is more of a feelgood family movie. I believe Jim Carrey didn't like the criticism by fans that he was a jerk in the movie, but he was hysterical playing that part.

Jim Carrey's only great comedies:

Ace Ventura (1994)
Dumb & Dumber (1994)
The Cable Guy (1996)

When the guy is on, he is the funniest physical comedian alive.
I agree entirely, but I think Me, Myself, & Irene is only a couple steps behind.
Old 01-19-06, 05:55 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,008
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Wait.. what? Wouldn't they be "selling out" if they were playing the same roles to applease you? The word "sell out" doesn't belong here at all as by the very nature of acting, a person sells themself.
Selling out is making generic, mainstream movies like Bruce Almighty and Fun with Dick and Jane. Both are "safe" family films and take no risks. It is a shame in my opinion that both actors have so much talent but don't do what they are naturally good at. Don't get me wrong. I think Truman Show is a great movie, but Man on the Moon and The Majestic both sucked. I'm not saying Carrey and Sandler should ONLY make silly comedies, but let's face it, it is what they're best at.
Old 01-19-06, 06:01 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
but Man on the Moon (...) sucked.
Old 01-19-06, 06:09 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
onebyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,049
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Except for "The Majestic," I can find something to enjoy in all of Jim's movies because.... he's in them. That's really all I need. I can't help it, I like to watch him in movies. I personally think he makes good decisions with his career. He gives the masses what they want sometimes and then also takes some chances with movies like "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," which I just adored. You could do far worse than his career.

As for Adam, well, I just wish he did more movies with Drew Barrymore. That's all I got.
Old 01-19-06, 06:22 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it has alot to do with them getting older. It would just be wierd to see a middle aged man acting like Billy Madison? I think Jim Carrey does a good combination of comedic and dramatic roles. His new comedies might not be as good as Dumb and Dumber but what modern comedy is?
Old 01-19-06, 07:24 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 746
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
I'm not saying Carrey and Sandler should ONLY make silly comedies, but let's face it, it is what they're best at.
I'd face it if I agreed. I think the praise you have for early Carrey is ironic, because The Cable Guy was the first movie I saw where I thought to myself, "Whoa, Carrey can actually act, and he ought to get some serious roles." The fact that Carrey has been considered by many critics to be Oscar-worthy in both Man on the Moon and Eternal Sunshine further tears apart your argument that the man is little more than a comedic machine.

As for Sandler, I still don't think we've seen him in a great dramatic role, so it's hard to say; Punch Drunk Love is the closest we've gotten, and I did think he was quite good in that, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't mean this to be personally insulting or anything, but moviegoers like you are part of the reason that actors get typecast and Hollywood keeps churning out the same movie year after year. I for one am glad that neither Carrey nor Sandler has continued to make the same movies (though Sandler's change is not as drastic).
Old 01-19-06, 08:55 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,099
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
I know the argument is that both actors want to do more "serious" work, but in my opinion that is bullshit. They need to stop selling out and return to the kinds of comedies that made them who they are today. As a former big fan of both, I am very disappointed.

I agree 100%. I've been saying this for years now, particularly about Carrey (less about Sandler). Jim Carrey is too interested in being a Tom Hanks. He's trying to make the transition from comedy to drama to get an Oscar. I believe he said so at point (I think I read it).

What a pathetic loooser! No offense.
Old 01-19-06, 09:02 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
I love Carrey's serious work, but i'd certainly love to see him go and do another edgy comedy rather then his recent comedy work.
Old 01-19-06, 09:47 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Selling out is making generic, mainstream movies like Bruce Almighty and Fun with Dick and Jane. Both are "safe" family films and take no risks. It is a shame in my opinion that both actors have so much talent but don't do what they are naturally good at. Don't get me wrong. I think Truman Show is a great movie, but Man on the Moon and The Majestic both sucked. I'm not saying Carrey and Sandler should ONLY make silly comedies, but let's face it, it is what they're best at.

But with your logic, they would be doing "Safe" movies if they stick to their typecasted roles because hey, if you want to see a comedy with sandler, it should all be like waterboy, happy gilmore, etc to be funny. So in your own definition of the word, you want them to sell out.
Old 01-19-06, 10:00 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by raven56706
Sandler will never be serious....
Spanglish was his most hilarious role to date.
Old 01-19-06, 10:18 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And even though I hated it. Punch Drunk Love had him playing it straight.
Old 01-19-06, 10:59 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Punch Drunk Love is 10x better than anything "serious" Jim Carrey has done. I think Jim Carrey should just stick to doing off the wall comedies because even in his serious movies he still falls back on his same ol comedy schtick he does every once in awhile.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.