Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 3 news (new character announced, so potential spoiler?)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man 3 news (new character announced, so potential spoiler?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xander
Huh. Weird. I too feel like it seems unnecessary to put Gwen Stacey into the current Spider-man movie storyline. Especially since they have modified MJ's role so much and given her a lot of what Gwen was in the comics. Strange choice.

Dunst is pretty much out the door after this film. So you have to swap out the love interest.

Besides, the way Dunst keeps on going on about how Spider-man can/should die I really don't mind seeing her go. Not to mention that Bryce is cute.
Old 01-19-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Morf
Exactly. Adding Gwen Stacey is absolutely unnecessary at this point. Her importance in the Spider-Man mythos is
Spoiler:
her death at the hands of the Green Goblin
. Adding that storyline to Spider-Man 3 seems silly if said villain somehow makes an appearance.
Spoiler:
The thing is that frame for frame her death is identical in the comic to when Spidey nabs the falling MJ toward the end of the Spider-Man 1 movie except for the fact that her neck snaps. And you simply cannot introduce Gwen Stacy as a character without killing her off, it's like introducing Bruce Wayne's parents or Hamlet's dad.
Old 01-19-06, 01:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Excellent. An infusion of several new characters all in the same movie is exactly what this franchise needs. After all, it worked so well for the Batman films.
Old 01-19-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by cleaver
Spoiler:
The thing is that frame for frame her death is identical in the comic to when Spidey nabs the falling MJ toward the end of the Spider-Man 1 movie except for the fact that her neck snaps. And you simply cannot introduce Gwen Stacy as a character without killing her off, it's like introducing Bruce Wayne's parents or Hamlet's dad.
Except those characters served no purpose except as story devices. Bruce Wayne's parents and Hamlet's dad are dead before Bruce Wayne and Hamlet's real stories begin.
Spoiler:
In this case, the character of Gwen Stacy had years of history and stories before meeting her end
Old 01-19-06, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Excellent. An infusion of several new characters all in the same movie is exactly what this franchise needs. After all, it worked so well for the Batman films.

O shit. You're totally right. I think this movie will suck now.
Old 01-19-06, 05:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
A) I searched Spider-Man 3, and found no threads discussing the movie (such as the Superman and X-Men threads that are floating around).

B) You're only the third person to mention that thread. Way to be on the ball.

C) I still don't think this is a repost. This is an announcement, the other a hypothetical. It'd be like burying a "Brandon Routh confirmed to play Superman!" post deep within an old thread about "who would you cast to play Superman?"

-JP
i guess you did a really good search then. try taking out the dash. i guess that is too much of a chore, that 1 key stroke that is. how is this still opened?
Old 01-19-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i guess you did a really good search then. try taking out the dash. i guess that is too much of a chore, that 1 key stroke that is. how is this still opened?
Scott, you're not a mod. If you have a problem with the thread, report it.
Old 01-19-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Didn't Bryce Howard replace Kirsten Dunst in the Village?
Yes. Thank god.
Old 01-19-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
Yes. Thank god.
Kirsten probably said the same thing.
Old 01-19-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't consider this a repost, since this is news, not a "what if" like the previous. No reason for this to be closed.

Anyway, I don't mind Gwen being added. I do hope they stay true to the story arc, whether it all be in this movie or have it occur in maybe 2 or 3 movies, where she does eventually lose her life. They could possibly bring MJ back afterwards. I know it doesn't match the continuity of the comic, but I'm not really anal about that with comic book movies.
Old 01-19-06, 10:15 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Two possibilties, then. Either they are going to go doppelganger crazy with
Spoiler:
Topher Grace as the Anti-Spider-man/Venom and Harry Osborne as Green Goblin 2 threatening Gwen the same way his dad did
; or it IS because Kirsten is moving out of the role and rather than invent a new girlfriend, they nod at the continuity and bring in an existing girlfriend without necessarily using her storyline. They don't have to follow the comic storyline, especially by the third movie.
Old 01-19-06, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Kirsten probably said the same thing.
You're probably right when she finally realized real acting talent would be required for the part.
Old 01-20-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
I think they went with MJ in the first film because she's probably more well-known to casual fans of the series. I'm not sure how much they've screwed with continuity, but by the time I got around to reading Spiderman comics (late 80s) Gwen was dead and gone. Never had a problem with MJ being the choice.

And I'd watch Elisha Cuthbert read the phonebook - too bad
No, I've never had a problem with the way they've interpreted the characters in the movies. I just think that since they've mostly replaced Gwen Stacy's events with MJ, it seems really strange to bring her in at this point. What are they going to do with her? If they end up replacing MJ with her because Kirsten wants to leave the series, then that makes more sense. But to have them both just seems unnecessary to me.
Old 01-20-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe they'll reveal somehow that the Green Goblin impregnated Gwen Stacy and she'll have 2 super powered kids like a recent terrible storyline in the Amazing Spider-Man comic.
Old 01-20-06, 05:26 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally Posted by the action
Now you have a blond playing a red head, and a red head playing a blond.
[insert] Requisite "carpet and drapes" comment here... [/insert]
Old 02-23-06, 04:03 PM

For anyone who wants to see Bryce as a blonde (i.e. Gwen Stacey), check out this story:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/sp...ws.php?id=3813
Old 02-23-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Well, she looks the part. The way I see it
Spoiler:
they intend to have MJ leave Peter as she cannot deal with the risks he takes and Gwen fills the role. The next movie will find Harry taking over the role of Goblin and "killing" Gwen, albeit in a different way. Of course Harry might actually go for the bridge scenario again, intending to succeed where his father failed.
Old 02-24-06, 02:45 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Maybe they'll reveal somehow that the Green Goblin impregnated Gwen Stacy and she'll have 2 super powered kids like a recent terrible storyline in the Amazing Spider-Man comic.[QUOTE]

You GOTTA be shitting me. Are you serious? What are the ugly details/synopsis, do you know?
Old 02-24-06, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
You really don't wanna know...

Trust me.
Old 02-24-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 02-24-06, 07:27 AM

That is an awesome teaser poster...
Old 02-24-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice teaser...Didnt care for Spiderman 2 at all, but hopefully this one will pique my interest a bit.
Old 02-24-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Not to mention that Bryce is cute.

I welcome her addition the cast.

Is this Raimi's last go-around as director (if any more sequels have been confirmed)?
Old 02-24-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Well, she looks the part. The way I see it
Spoiler:
they intend to have MJ leave Peter as she cannot deal with the risks he takes and Gwen fills the role. The next movie will find Harry taking over the role of Goblin and "killing" Gwen, albeit in a different way. Of course Harry might actually go for the bridge scenario again, intending to succeed where his father failed.
All sounds plausible to me.

So anyone know where to get that poster yet?
Old 02-24-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Wasn't a fan of the 1st 2 films; but that poster is sweet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.