Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: 1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

How quickly do Sideshow's premium statues sell out? I have my eye on this upcoming Superman statue despite its $600 price.

https://www.sideshow.com/collectible...ctibles-300715
Old 02-02-21, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
What the heck is with Robin's crotch? Did I just completely miss that in movie as a kid?
It was there, along with the infamous bat nipples. The figure just accentuates the crotch thanks to that weird pelvic thrust pose.
Old 02-02-21, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
How quickly do Sideshow's premium statues sell out? I have my eye on this upcoming Superman statue despite its $600 price.

It really just depends. Some sell quick, but others stay in stock for a long time. Since they’re limited editions though once they’re gone that’s it. After that you gave to deal with the secondary market.
Old 02-02-21, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
What the heck is with Robin's crotch? Did I just completely miss that in movie as a kid?
Old 02-02-21, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I really like this one too. If I didn't already have other things pre-ordered I'd be very tempted by it. My favorite Superman portraits so far.
I would be a little concerned about the engineering. The connection point seems tiny and the majority of the figure is well off balance.
Guess only time will tell though.

As far as it selling out- 2500 is a relatively small ES for this character.

The last PF had 4500 total, and the regular edition is still available, This new one has a retro look so I kind of doubt most modern collectors will be rushing to get it.
There is also a more straight forward Christopher Reeve statue coming soon, that is a big improvement over their earlier one. Since the portraits here seem to be channeling Reeve a bit, some people might prefer to wait and get the real thing.
There's a whole lot of competition for collectors money now in general. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's still available at the end of the year.

Then again, there was an Adam West Batman PF a few years back that looked kind of funky. The pose got a lot of "WTF? reactions so I thought for sure that would hang around for a while, but just the opposite. One of the few things in that hobby that I truly regret letting slip by.
Old 02-02-21, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Yeah... I wanted that Lee one, but it's damn pricey for a bust. The QS Wonder Woman and Alita busts are still on my radar.

The Mera bust can still be ordered at Spec Fiction.
I really love the Alita.
I'm a big fan of the film (and thought Salazar was absolute perfect casting) and have been waiting for something to come along for it that fully lights my fire.
The Hot Toys figure didn't do it for me. Neither did The Prime 1 museum statue. The new mototball dio is kind of cool, but too big and Alita herself is only a minor part of it.
All easy passes.

The bust , OTOH...WOW! That's her.
100%.

the Queen portrait even blows away the 1:1 maquette that WETA themselves produced.
Spoiler:
The following users liked this post:
candyrocket786 (02-02-21)
Old 02-03-21, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My latest pre-order. This company, EXO-6 is new, but the guy in charge did the Star Trek figures for Quantum Mechanix (QMX) before they abandoned the line.

I would have preferred Data in his TNG outfit, but wanted to support the company. Especially since it’s their first release.
candyrocket786 (02-03-21)
Old 02-03-21, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Damn bro! That's a deep pocket purchase right there. JND looks like they do good work though, and 1/3 is a great scale IMO. Congratulations!

If I wasn't skating on thin ice already, I'd love to get one of the Queen or Infinity Busts.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
[

Over $4K, it only went up a couple days ago and it's already waitlisted.

This one is pretty impressive too
Spoiler:
...those 100 percent look like photos of the real people. Incredible.
Old 02-03-21, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven

This one is half scale -so probably a shade over 4' to the top of the trident. Remarkably, it retails quite a bit less than Mera (which is from another company).
Spoiler:

Old 02-03-21, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

^ Yep, that one too. It's really something what they can do these days.
Old 02-05-21, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
The realism on those almost borders on creepy.
Old 02-06-21, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

At least in those pictures they look even better than Madame Tousauds wax figures.
Old 02-06-21, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty early in my collecting, I remember running across photos of this. It was a one-off someone did likely for their own satisfaction or a private commission
Spoiler:

It's mind blowing, but if it was for sale there's no way the price wasn't somewhere in the $5-10K range. Probably even higher.

The big thing for me was how it pointed the way to the materials and the tech being available to make it happen. All that was needed were the skills of the sculptor and the patience to achieve it (each hair is punched in by hand). Material costs, like the silicone, weren't cheap, but absolutely minimal in comparison to the price tag of the results.

It took these SEA companies to marshal the talent needed and industrialize production to yield economies of scale to mass produce them .But it's now a clearly viable business model. And by all accounts, a successful one.

Unfortunately we won't be seeing any life-size Scarlet Johansson or Elizabeth Olsen's anytime soon. Disney nixed the license requests for any 1:1 female MCU busts.
Old 02-06-21, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Unfortunately we won't be seeing any life-size Scarlet Johansson or Elizabeth Olsen's anytime soon. Disney nixed the license requests for any 1:1 female MCU busts.
A lot of perverts out there with money to burn I guess.
Old 02-06-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

2500 ES.... I'd imagine this will be produced in various waves before it actually sells out.

I'm considering that piece as well, but I want to see it in collectors hands first and I'm curious if it will develop any "leaning" issues.

In this hobby, don't let the FOMO get to you. There will always be something better that comes along.
Paul_SD (02-06-21)
Old 02-06-21, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That’s true of statues that there will always be more. A lot of times though if you’re more of a figure collector stuff gets one edition and that’s it. Hot Toys regularly command high(er) prices once they sell out, and while there are some re-releases they aren’t normal.
Old 02-06-21, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Sorry to take this to the other end of the spectrum, but while I enjoy living vicariously through this forum, I can't afford those things!

What I wanted to ask about is a cheap, mass-produced, hunk of plastic ... I'm looking for a cheap sources for used Disney Infinity figures. I don't want them for the game; but I picked up a couple for a few dollars and I think they do look pretty cool. I'm looking for Star Wars and Marvel ones. Any thoughts?
Old 02-06-21, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
A lot of perverts out there with money to burn I guess.
So I guess they won't be licensing their characters out to RealDolls any time soon.
Old 02-06-21, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Sorry to take this to the other end of the spectrum, but while I enjoy living vicariously through this forum, I can't afford those things!

What I wanted to ask about is a cheap, mass-produced, hunk of plastic ... I'm looking for a cheap sources for used Disney Infinity figures. I don't want them for the game; but I picked up a couple for a few dollars and I think they do look pretty cool. I'm looking for Star Wars and Marvel ones. Any thoughts?
Just about all this stuff is ultimately just big hunks of plastic. Even the expensive stuff.

This guy seems to have a bunch for sale.
Outside of Ebay, I wouldn't have a clue.
Maybe try to find a Facebook group for them?

If they are still making them regularly, maybe try Entertainment Earth or Big Bad Toy Store or even Deep Discount.

Some locations of Half-Price Books may have them too. People sell all kinds of collectibles in there. But that would especially be hit and miss.
Old 02-06-21, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Pretty early in my collecting, I remember running across photos of this. It was a one-off someone did likely for their own satisfaction or a private commission
Hell of a lot better than what was in Rogue One!! lol

Opened up my first Sideshow purchases this week - the life size Grogu and the latest R2D2. Pretty happy with both, although after opening a few of R2's panels I don't think I'm touching any more - a real pain to close properly!

I considered getting C3PO, but I really just have spots for the two I bought in my office. And I know if I start with more of the 12 inch figures it'll just snowball from there...

Old 02-07-21, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Yeah there are a lot of deep pockets around here

I think FB marketplace is one of the best places to get stuff like this. Or garage sales if you're into that sort of thing. I'm sure there are a lot of people that want to get rid of these since the game went away awhile ago. Ebay too especially if you're looking for specific figures.
Old 02-07-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I am trying to sell my collection at the moment. I have 49 of them. Will DM you photos if you are interested.
Old 02-08-21, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
That’s true of statues that there will always be more. A lot of times though if you’re more of a figure collector stuff gets one edition and that’s it. Hot Toys regularly command high(er) prices once they sell out, and while there are some re-releases they aren’t normal.
Unless its Iron Man
Old 02-09-21, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Unless its Iron Man
Iron Man is a bread and butter character for Hot Toys. Although I think Spider-Man has started to take over on that front.
Old 02-10-21, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:

1/3 in production.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.