Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: 1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Parallel to finally dipping into HT figs, another itch that I scratched this year was getting back in to kit building.

I have long been toying with the idea of getting some to build during the long winter months. Now I've got about 12 kits sitting here, ready to get started on. Most of them are the tiny little Bandai 1/144 or 1/72 scale vehicles that top out at about 6". But I've also got a couple large Falcons and the 23" Revell/Zvesda Star Destroyer.

Since I haven't worked on a model since 1980, I'm a little rusty and have been slowly educating myself via youtube and some model forums. In seeing what some of these talented guys can do, with lights and other customizations, it struck me that any skills I develop here I can also move over to crafting my own backdrops for the HT stuff. There are a Hell of a lot of things you can do with simple styrene, paint, LEDs, and a little imagination.

The only thing that would put a kink into that is if HT suddenly gets hip to the fact that they could sell simple modular background elements and make a killing doing so. One of things that pushed me off the fence and made me order the Han Stormtrooper disguise was that he comes with a lighted Death Star panel for a backdrop.
Old 11-29-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah that Death Star backdrop with the Han in Trooper disguise figure is awesome. I’d like to get a couple more but the prices for it parted out are pretty high.
Old 11-29-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Not a simple modular background but aren't they going to sell a 1/6 MF cockpit? I know they made a complete Millenium Falcon as well but I doubt they'll make the whole thing.
Old 11-29-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was teased quite a while ago (a couple years back maybe) but nothing ever came of it. My guess is it’s not happening but who knows.
Old 11-29-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
It was teased quite a while ago (a couple years back maybe) but nothing ever came of it. My guess is it’s not happening but who knows.
They still have this page up:
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/whats-ne...alcon-cockpit/
Old 11-29-17, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Making precise, uniform cuts like those light pellets on the DS backdrop is not something I'm likely going to be able to do by hand.

But I am going to look into the cost of getting a stack of those fabricated, and finding a way to make a modular, expandable system out of them. Maybe alternate it with scribed Styrene panels, which is something I feel I could do by hand. Right now I'm getting up to speed on LEDs and using fiber optic for the models, so I soon expect to be able to figure out an inexpensive way to light them too.

I go on eBay and I see people selling Detolf cubicle sized photos for people to use as display backdrops and they run $40-$60. And people pay it!

I think something could be fabricated that would be nicer than those, while still coming in well under the cost of one of the Jazz inc set ups- even the lower budget ones. shipping within the domestic US should be a lot cheaper too.
Old 11-29-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah but I’ve come to learn that those pages don’t mean much until Hot Toys does an official announcement. There’s stuff on there from years back that’s never been produced.
Old 11-29-17, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I wonder how the 1966 Batmobile is coming along.
Old 11-29-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the variety of items Hot Toys has displayed over the years and don't come out with.

Tie fighter? Jokers balloons from Batman? Would love releases of those items (I'm sure the TIE would be crazy expensive)
Old 11-29-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Making precise, uniform cuts like those light pellets on the DS backdrop is not something I'm likely going to be able to do by hand.

But I am going to look into the cost of getting a stack of those fabricated, and finding a way to make a modular, expandable system out of them. Maybe alternate it with scribed Styrene panels, which is something I feel I could do by hand. Right now I'm getting up to speed on LEDs and using fiber optic for the models, so I soon expect to be able to figure out an inexpensive way to light them too.

I go on eBay and I see people selling Detolf cubicle sized photos for people to use as display backdrops and they run $40-$60. And people pay it!

I think something could be fabricated that would be nicer than those, while still coming in well under the cost of one of the Jazz inc set ups- even the lower budget ones. shipping within the domestic US should be a lot cheaper too.
Making these backgrounds sounds like it would be perfect for 3D printing. If it ever becomes more popular, cheaper, and the quality increases, then I think folks would be designing their own backdrops and sharing the files.

But so far, it doesn't seem like 3D printing is going to go mainstream, much like 3D TV.
Old 11-30-17, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

The first Rocketeer statue in years is being sold by Mondo. There are 2 editions: the Mondo exclusive and the regular edition. The Mondo LE is being sold until 12/1/17 at noon and is only $5 more expensive because it has an additional Betty head.

Old 12-01-17, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get ready for The Matrix collectibles. Hot Toys announced that they have gotten the license.

Old 12-01-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

swinging back to my first love...

At Tokyo ComiCon Prime Studios 1/3 scale Wonder Woman.

54" tall and $3600...but Damn, do I wish I could afford this (both in money and display space).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NdcvQbBeHHk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here is the 1/3 scale with swap out upper body. More affordable in every way, and not bad at all. Though nowhere close to as impressive as the horse piece, the likeness of Gadot on the crossed arms bust is about as spot on as anything I've seen. A little less so in regards to the face on the full statue but I still think it's better than either of the HT figures.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NBbYo0nHU0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I cancelled my HT WW:BvS figure back in September and then pre-ordered the JL version. But I think I'll be cancelling that one too and going for this if it comes in under $1K.

The Suicide Squad Harley Quinn looks pretty sick too. Actually, there are a slew of statues being displayed there that are just bonkers amazing (Mr Freeze!) and that blow away 99% of what SS has ever produced..
Old 12-01-17, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

and here's a speedy trip through the HT booth at TCC. Unfortunately we don't get any real lingering close ups of the figures. There's also an annoying light effect going on- but anyway...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6AUK9FATels" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ur_nYid5I5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-01-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's always so much Star Wars goodness. I’d like to get most of those key characters. The only things I don’t care about collecting much are the Troopers. That’s my main focus now other than the random character here and there. I still want to get the QMX Captain Picard and will probably collect the crew of Star Trek: The Next Generation as they come out. I think I’m basically done with Marvel and DC stuff. The only exception might be Spidey from Spider-Man: Homecoming.
Old 12-10-17, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I was at GameStop on Friday and was browsing their collectibles. I came across some Funko blind box mini figures which I’m normally not into but these I had to grab a couple of as they’re from the Disney Afternoon cartoons. Grabbed two Friday and four more yesterday They come twelve to a case and I might just pick up the other six on my next day off.

image host sites

(I got two of the Junior Woodchuck Huey figures but left the double out of the picture.)

Last edited by Mike86; 12-10-17 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hate to sound like a broken. record, but Amazon has the Sphero R2-D2 as it's deal of the day- $91.

Hell of a bargain on this little charmer.

The only thing that beats it, IMO, is the 1/2 scale De Agostini model build R2. That has some even more serious electronics/programing (including the 'holographic' projections of Leia from Ep IV and Luke from Ep VI...althoughI expect they are only low res 2D projections). That kit runs $1400 more that the Sphero though.
Old 12-10-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Hate to sound like a broken. record, but Amazon has the Sphero R2-D2 as it's deal of the day- $91.

Hell of a bargain on this little charmer.

The only thing that beats it, IMO, is the 1/2 scale De Agostini model build R2. That has some even more serious electronics/programing (including the 'holographic' projections of Leia from Ep IV and Luke from Ep VI...althoughI expect they are only low res 2D projections). That kit runs $1400 more that the Sphero though.
Target may be a slightly better deal.

129.99, but 25 off of a toy purchase of 100 bucks and comes with a free force band while they have it in stock (if you want to let the kids play with it without a phone, it's like 40 bucks by itself). Plus your 20% coupon if you still have it. I kinda regret ordering it before this.

Of course keep in mind that target.com is kind of incompetent. I ordered this near black friday, it got stuck in shipping, I called in and got them to reorder it, it still hasn't shipped out, and at this point I should just cancel and try again.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-10-17 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-11-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Idon'tneedanotherHotToyIdon'tneedanotherHotToyIdon'tneed...
Old 12-11-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am getting him for sure. Will look great next to the RotJ Hot Toys Luke...plus it comes with a Porg.
Old 12-11-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m getting him too. I’m such a sucker for Star Wars figures.
Old 12-20-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hot Toys revealed a Leia from The Last Jedi. Some are saying it looks too young which I kind of agree but still think it’s decent. I’ll probably get her to go with my old Han and Luke.
Old 12-20-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

she is purposely made younger same as Luke. Who wants old people's statues
Old 12-20-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually liked the movie, but I think I might pass on that version of Luke, at least to see if they make another version before this one comes out. It looks cool, but in some ways it looks way better than he actually looks in the movie, if that makes sense. Plus the deluxe version doesn't come with milking hands.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.