Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Old 09-07-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 512 Likes on 322 Posts
Re: 1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Originally Posted by Mike86
that'd be good. Side note I see BBTS now has joined Sideshow in charging a non refundable deposit. It was nice not having that while it lasted..
Yep, that sucks. I now have Threezero's Mulder and Hot Toys Tarkin, Jedi Luke, Anakin Skywalker and Kylo Ren on order for next year. Jesus help me.
Old 09-15-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 09-15-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

In for the two pack. I don't have BB-8 yet and was hoping they'd offer him separately this time around. I like the way BB-9E looks too though and since its a bit of a discount getting both why not. I'm such a sucker for Hot Toys, particularly of the Star Wars variety .
Old 09-15-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered BB-8 separately. Not a bad price for what you get.
Old 09-17-17, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Anyone here in the Con US ever order HT figures from sellers in Japan or China?

There are a couple sold out figures that I'm getting interested in, but it seems like the least expensive sources are all in Asia. Feedback looks good on the auctions I was looking at, but I just wonder about a package jostling for week coming half way around the world. Not to mention if QC on these things are iffy, I could also get stuck with a lemon. There would likely be no way it would be worth it to ship it back for a return.

But I'm still tempted.

I knew getting into these figures was gonna be a bad idea ( I've already got 5 pre-ordered and/or flexed, I'm seriously looking at three others, and still don't even have my first one yet).
Old 09-17-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Anyone here in the Con US ever order HT figures from sellers in Japan or China?

There are a couple sold out figures that I'm getting interested in, but it seems like the least expensive sources are all in Asia. Feedback looks good on the auctions I was looking at, but I just wonder about a package jostling for week coming half way around the world. Not to mention if QC on these things are iffy, I could also get stuck with a lemon. There would likely be no way it would be worth it to ship it back for a return.

But I'm still tempted.

I knew getting into these figures was gonna be a bad idea ( I've already got 5 pre-ordered and/or flexed, I'm seriously looking at three others, and still don't even have my first one yet).
Ebay users Timcent88 and lootentoys. Both are great sellers and ship fast. Got my HT Luke within a week
Old 09-17-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow! That seems fast for a package shipped internationally. Timcent88 was one of the sellers I was looking at. I'll make a note of lootentoys as well. Thanks!

I ended up ordering the first from a Miami area dealer last night (man of action figures). He had some negative feedback, but I checked it out and it seemed like it could just be cranky, overly entitled buyers. At least that's what I'm hoping.

The other two, if I get them, will likely come from abroad.
Old 09-17-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which ones are you looking at getting?
Old 09-17-17, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

An Ep 4 Leia and a Scarlet Witch are priorities right now.

But I would really like to pick up a 2 pack of original Stormtroopers as well, while the prices are still reasonable.
Old 09-18-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Ultron Scarlet Witch can be found fairly cheap on Ebay, below retail. I got one a month or so ago.
Old 09-18-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, I goofed on that one.
I made Timcent an offer that he accepted. I thought I was doing good until I realized I could have paid about $25 less from someone domestically who also had a 100% feedback rating.

Dumbass.

I also wasn't paying attention when I placed an order with the guy in Miami. Might have been smarter not to deal just yet with a business that is located in an area that just got brushed by a hurricane.
Old 09-18-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you haven't done so already there's a dedicated 1/6th forum that I frequent. It's sideshowcollectors.com and they're a decent source for discussion and have a good subforum for buying and selling figures. I've gotten a few from members there. Also got a couple off eBay. I had a bad experience once by a scammer for a Sideshow Boba Fett figure and haven't bought a figure there since. Luckily I was able to file a claim and get my money back though. Just have to really watch where things are coming from and look at the seller's feedback.
Old 09-18-17, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
If you haven't done so already there's a dedicated 1/6th forum that I frequent. It's sideshowcollectors.com and they're a decent source for discussion and have a good subforum for buying and selling figures. I've gotten a few from members there. Also got a couple off eBay. I had a bad experience once by a scammer for a Sideshow Boba Fett figure and haven't bought a figure there since. Luckily I was able to file a claim and get my money back though. Just have to really watch where things are coming from and look at the seller's feedback.
I second that forum. I just picked up a HT Leia for 210 shipped from a member there. Came mint complete.
Old 09-18-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice going! Needless to say I just paid considerably more for mine- but it should be here tomorrow which means I'll get a couple days to enjoy it, and see what all the fuss is about with these things, before I have to pull another month+ long stretch on the road.

I'm definitely familiar with Sideshow Freaks, and have been a member there for many years now under a different handle. I found my way there for statues so it's only been recently that I've started lurking in the figure sections.

I would have to admit my primary appreciation is still for a well crafted statue. As amazing as the head sculpts are on these figures, there is just too great of a pronounced restriction in terms of how a real human body behaves, the squash and stretch that goes on, for me to get too excited about a "fully articulated" figure. But even within that shallow pool, there are still plenty of variations you can have on a basic museum pose that don't readily break the illusion for me.

Unfortunately the prices on statues has gone up too fast, and their resale value has at the same time, taken a big hit. OTOH, there still seems to be some honest enthusiasm on the figure side.

And those head sculpts are just so damned impressive.
Old 09-19-17, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

might as well post these now. This came in last week.

Spoiler:

It got off to a bad impression as soon as the delivery guy handed me the box. It felt empty. I was expecting light, but I was still taken aback. I get the why of it, and it totally makes sense. But at the same time, when it came time to assemble the various pieces, I was sure something was going to snap off somewhere. It's feels more fragile than an eggshell.

After a while, the sense of it being cheap and insubstantial to the touch went away and the more i looked over at it, the more I enjoyed having it. It worked both as an entertaining object for the eye as well as an nicely esoteric reminder of a movie I used to love quite a bit.

After having it set up the last week, I went to box it back up just now and that's when the cheapness of it's construction manifested itself.
First I went to take out the set of batteries controlling the eye light. They were a bitch to get at and in doing so I ended up snapping off the positive connection which is a hair sized wire soldiered to a point the size of a pinhead to the battery pack. Don't know if I'll be able to fix that myself or not. I tried just touching the bare wire to the soldiered point and it wasn't making a connection. That will probably need to be professionally addressed.
The other set of batteries controlling the sound effect were in an even harder to reach area so I just left them.
Then, in removing the arms, one of the joint pins (again, even smaller than the size of a sewing pin) came out. I'll need a very tiny pair of tweezers to manipulate it back in place to preserve the joint articulation. That's if it doesn't fall out and I lose it in the meantime.

Torn right now between keeping it and just sending it back and losing the $40 in shipping both ways. It is a cool object to have displayed, and it's not something that I can see most other companies rushing out to produce so it should maintain a certain specialness to it for a while (even though this one is from an unanticipated 'second printing').

But the cheapness of the materials and construction goes beyond just "feeling" insubstantial. In the past I've kept other SS items that I had mixed feelings about and have regretted it so that's on my mind right now.
Old 09-20-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally I'm not much of a fan of Sideshow products. They just seem to always have a cheapness about them. From the packaging to the figures within they feel rushed together and a bit half-assed, yet often times they cost as much or more than Hot Toys. I've got their R2-D2, C3PO, R5-D4, Jawa set, and a Scout Trooper. My favorite is probably the R5-D4 honestly. I've heard that the Probe Droid isn't the most solid piece but it seems popular. I've heard that the legs can be fragile and that the battery compartment is hard to get to so that doesn't seem uncommon.
Old 09-20-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, I haven't seen a lot of positive comments in regards to Ss's own branded figures. I can't recall seeing even one headsculpt of theirs that ever impressed me.

I finally talked myself into getting K2SO to go with Jyn, but when I went to flex it It didn't come up. Guess SS is sold out. Is this something I should scurry to get on ebay, or is this a common thing with newly released figs? Any reason to expect it to be available again via SS? I would prefer not to drop any more money just now on anything, but if it is sold out, I'll definitely be tempted to grab it sooner than later.
Old 09-20-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sometimes items come back in stock but it's a crap shoot. I'm not sure if K2SO is sold out or not. When you search Sideshow's site the Hot Toys figure doesn't pop up in the results but if you Google it the page comes up with the buy now option. I'm guessing it might have recently went out of stock and maybe the page wasn't taken down yet. It seems like a lot of the more recent figures have a lower run as items seem to be selling out faster than before. I think they overproduced figures from The Force Awakens and have been sitting on stock so they might be making less. That's just speculation on my part as there's no known edition size.
Old 09-20-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it wasn't coming up either under a direct search of the name or when I pulled up the SW category. However I just found a youtube reviewer who had a link with the video and it came up from there. Weird.

And yeah, I can see ebay is flooded with TFA stuff. I was looking for OT stormtroopers, and for every 1 of those that came up, about 7 or 8 from TFA did.
Old 09-20-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a standard Trooper but there is the Han in Trooper disguise figure coming soon. The Storm Trooper sculpt can go on the figure to make it look like a normal Trooper.
Old 09-20-17, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Any 12in skeletons? I could only find 6in and smaller ones. I'm guessing the ones that show up in movies aren't very toy worthy.
Old 09-21-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a little gobsmacked right now as the ebay purchases from both domestic sellers arrived today. One seller (cybermx) is in Ca, the other (man of action figures) in Miami. Both came double boxed, and the figs sealed in the brown shippers.

Just a couple things I wanted to say.
I now completely get the enthusiasm for these things, and why so many collectors find them so addictive.
Going in, scale was a problem for me, as was the limitations to naturalistic poses. I still feel, in both those areas a good fixed sculpture will best these.

OTOH, in terms of likeness, these so far have all been jaw droppers for me. Even the Lizzie
Olsen Scarlet Witch (CW), surprises the hell out of me. I originally found the promo pics to look like a big miss. She's got a tough face with some very
subtle structure going on that is easy to miss. But some collectors photos gave me pause, and now in hand I can see they completely nailed her. Not even a "well...yeah, it's really close, sort of..." Nope. To my eyes, this is her. Nothing vague about it. If I was told this was from a
computer scan of Olsen's face, I'd believe it.

Same goes for the CW Black Widow. But in the case of that one, I was already mostly sold by the promo pics. Up till now, the 1/4 scale Gentle Giant TWS BW statue has been the gold standard to me as far as anything getting her
likeness down. And that IS from a live scan of her face done for the cg work in the film. But this sculpt here, in terms of likeness is completely on par with the GG, but then blows it away when it comes to realism. Only thing that might infringe on that is the scale of the fibers of the rooted hair.

Getting these hours before I'm gonna leave, I was very happy, and relieved, to see the rooted hair (on both) isn't an issue. I expect some minor futzing, and airing out away from the plastic liners, will only improve them further. Right now though, both look just fine. No problems with rooted hair for me, when it's done this well.

One other area where I think these excel over the majority of the statues I've seen is in the use of fabrics. Even working at a much smaller scale than the SS
PFs, the detail and stitching is uncanny. Leia's white dress doesn't scale well, unfortunately but that's a bit of a special case. Both Marvel figs so far though are, again, just incredible.

yeah...I'm hooked.
Old 10-05-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clearly this is the Boba Fett we all wanted. I'm sort of surprised they made this version but I guess he's probably one of the bigger cash cow characters.
Old 10-05-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,645 Likes on 1,831 Posts

The "colorblind" Boba Fett...
Old 10-13-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Hot Toys Rey in Jedi Training gear went up today. Pretty cool looking and I might pick her up.

I'm not really one for Pop figures but I picked up this one from Target today. It's the H.A.R.D.A.C. Batman from Batman: The Animated Series. One of my favorite episodes of the show and I always thought this Terminator looking Batman design was cool. They had quite a few other characters too like Phantasm, Scarecrow, Catwoman, Clayface, and Bane. A couple others tempted me but I don't want to start collecting another line of figures.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.