Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trailer: Ultraviolet (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Trailer: Ultraviolet (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aeon Flux didn't have gun-kata.

And I'd sit thru 6 hours of Aeon Flux or any Wimmer movie over 5 minutes of any Underworld movie.
Old 01-20-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I saw the trailer too at an Underworld: Evolution screening. it doesn't look as bad as "Stay Alive" though. looks like an ok movie, I don't if I'll be seeing it though.
Old 01-20-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm reserving judgement until I see the film, especially since Wimmer is involved.

The one major difference between this film and Aeon Flux is that this film wasn't sitting on the shelf for a year as the studio had no clue what to do with it. I think that's a sign the film probably doesn't suck as bad as you assume.

I don't think Aeon Flux sat on a shelf for a year as much as had a troubled production.
Old 01-20-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In response to DonnachaOne remark about it being a very loose film version of the TV series Ultraviolent. I believe there is no connection whatsoever between the two.
The TV series was set in present day and was about modern day vampires. 2 things that are not in the film, Her name is Violet ( I don't believe there is a character in the series with that name). The film is about an altered human fighting the baddies whereas the series is about detective investigating and world of vampires (code 5's in the show) when trying to find his friend.
I think its just the name that Wimmer likes!
Old 01-20-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It has a Production Budget of $30 million compared to Wimmer's Equilibrium which had a $20 million budget and had a very low theater count but was good in DVD sales. By all account, this is what Sony should be doing. Smaller budget risks that have pay out in the long run. Shit like Resident Evil is good business fo Sony.. $135 million budget films like Stealth are what someone at sony should be fired for.. Not this.
Old 01-20-06, 08:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The one major difference between this film and Aeon Flux is that this film wasn't sitting on the shelf for a year as the studio had no clue what to do with it. I think that's a sign the film probably doesn't suck as bad as you assume.
ULTRAVIOLET has been sitting on the shelf since since last March.

By the time it comes out, it will have been two years since it started filming.
Old 01-20-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I liked Equilibrium so I'll give this a shot.
Old 01-20-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Funny how the earlier thread on this movie ( http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=452153 ) managed to be largely positive, and this one started with a hugely negative view.

Originally Posted by scott shelton
ULTRAVIOLET has been sitting on the shelf since since last March.

By the time it comes out, it will have been two years since it started filming.
You are correct sir. The CG looks similar to that of Equilibrium (Low Budget, almost Straight-To-Video quality) that isn't an easy sell in a world of King Kong, Narnia, X3, and Snakes on a Plane.

That said, looks like a fun movie to me. As long as the plot is coherent, I'm down for it.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-20-06 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-20-06, 10:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I love Milla Jovovich, but this film DOES look like somebody said, "What we need is a film with the plot of Kill Bill, the look of Aeon Flux, and the star of Resident Evil." Perhaps the movie is good, but it doesn't come across in the marketing.
Old 01-20-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be there opening night. Action scenes look awesome, very similar to Equilibrium. Unlike, Aeon, Mila doesn't look awkward kicking ass. She looks cool doing it. So what's the deal with Wimmer abusing his power?
Old 01-20-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Kurt Wimmer earned a two movie hall pass (for me) with Equilibrium. But as of now I don't think he'll need it here because I freaking loved the trailer. It's not originality alone that can set you apart, but execution as well.
Old 01-20-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kurt Wimmer needs a Michael Bay budget or at least a Rob Cohen one.
Old 01-20-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I love Milla Jovovich, but this film DOES look like somebody said, "What we need is a film with the plot of Kill Bill, the look of Aeon Flux, and the star of Resident Evil." Perhaps the movie is good, but it doesn't come across in the marketing.
I leaned over to my friend when we saw the trailer and said "Looks like they just took Aeon Flux, Matrix, The Fifth Element, Kill Bill and Resident Evil, rolled them into one...and made a giant TURD"... hopefully Wimmer will prove me wrong, but this looks horrendous.

MATT
Old 01-20-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
As I said in the other thread, I enjoyed Equilibrium so much that i'm eager to see this. I thought the trailer was decent, although the plot has me iffy. I was a big fan of Bale and less so of Milla though, but I'm still excited to check this out.
Old 01-21-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet

Yeah, because everyone knows that Tarantino invented the concept of revenge in a film.
Old 01-21-06, 01:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Yeah, because everyone knows that Tarantino invented the concept of revenge in a film.
You're missing the point. I'm not saying Kill Bill had a highly original story, I'm saying that it would be the kind of thing a movie executive would reference. You know, "This movie is just like movie a meets movie b!"
Old 01-21-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
lol that looks bad
Old 01-21-06, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Visually it looks good, but the trailer would be 10X better if Milla could voice act or failing that Milla didn't do the voiceover at all. There's a reason why her best movie is one where she barely says 10 lines.
Old 01-21-06, 02:44 AM

I like Milla so I'll give her a squirt, huh, I mean shot. I mean I will give IT a shot!

As for Aliens getting anything from Starship Troopers? Somehow I don't think time wise that's possible.
Old 01-21-06, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by H8nXTC
As for Aliens getting anything from Starship Troopers? Somehow I don't think time wise that's possible.
Reading is fundamental.
Old 01-21-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Didn't know this movie was done on a low budget. Maybe it is good, but the trailer I saw had it looking like a pile of crap with a hot babe movie.
Old 01-21-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Equilibrium was great so I'll be seeing Ultraviolet. If Kurt Wimmer had directed Aeon Flux, I would have seen that too.
Old 01-21-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmmm...Maybe I should revisit Equilibrium because I must have missed something the first time around. And as much as I like women running around in spandex, Im not so sure about this one either. But you never know, I have been wrong before.
Old 01-21-06, 05:27 PM
Banned

Ultraviolet is awesome. After Kurt Wimmer saw Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil, he made this role solely for her. Though it is somewhat similar, it's through his vision. I'm really hyped to see it because I think Kurt Wimmer has wonderful ideas and is an awesome visionary. Adding to his already awesome gunkata, he added "inter-dimensional" technology which allows violet to store an arsenal in space and pull them out through devices on her palms. if you watch the trailer, she's reloading her guns by letting bullets fall out of her wrists. and after her suit goes from white - red at the beginning, when she turns, you can see two guns forming off her belt. this movie is gonna be good and i can't wait.
Old 01-21-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Call me crazy, but I think Janus3 thinks this is awesome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.