Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

V for Vendetta - review thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

V for Vendetta - review thread

Old 03-13-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kudama
They need to tuck that Rage Against the Machine style stuff in the credits somewhere. It just doesn't fit the flick IMO.

Rage against the machine doesn't fit the flick? Really, so V's all cool with the British government?

I know what you mean....just messing with you.
Old 03-13-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 733 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Well, it seems they've dumbed the trailers down for audiences; I saw one on TV tonight with the stereotypical screaming rock song attached. Oh yay!
Yeah. I saw that ad and it made me physically ill. Seriously, the only ad for this feature that I didn't like (and, in fact, hated).

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-14-06 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-14-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw the film tonight and I thought it was great. Very well done.
Old 03-14-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it seems they've dumbed the trailers down for audiences; I saw one on TV tonight with the stereotypical screaming rock song attached. Oh yay!
I just saw one tonight with a very slow ballad being sung by a woman. It sounded very familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Anyone know what song this was?
Old 03-15-06, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That particular song is by Cat Power called I found a Reason. Check the film site and they have samples of the soundtrack: www.vforvendetta.com

At least I hope that's the song your talking about.
Old 03-15-06, 07:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of trailers, does the theatrical trailer for Superman Returns run before V for Vendetta? It would make perfect sense to me.
Old 03-15-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Checkmate
That particular song is by Cat Power called I found a Reason. Check the film site and they have samples of the soundtrack: www.vforvendetta.com

At least I hope that's the song your talking about.
For your sake it better be... just kidding! Thanks!
Old 03-16-06, 03:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by John72Tex
Speaking of trailers, does the theatrical trailer for Superman Returns run before V for Vendetta? It would make perfect sense to me.
yes, that xmen, fast and teh furious and poseiden are on it. it might be dif at other theatres.
Old 03-16-06, 03:33 AM
Banned

anyways, saw it tonight. very well done. those who have read teh book will be pleased for the most part but the ending was changed to a very dumbed down ending as opposed to original and a pointless (though done very well) fight scene is thrown in the mix as well. as for the new ending it's just a very simple closing and nothing fancy, imo, the original would've been much better on the screen. but overall good flick.
Old 03-16-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,070 Likes on 848 Posts
Got my tickets for tonight's showing around 10ish. Woo.
Old 03-16-06, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
Got my tickets for tonight's showing around 10ish. Woo.
Where do you live? In the future?

How can I get tickets today???
Old 03-16-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh come now, everyone knows "Vicious Cabaret" would be GREAT on distorted guitar.
Old 03-16-06, 03:23 PM
Banned

v for vendetta is being shown tonight at local theatres around 10 pm. check your listings.
Old 03-16-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're showing it at 10 pm locally (Tallahassee), it's being shown in a lot of theaters tonight for one showing, and goes everywhere tomorrow. The ads were changed to reflect this as well.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-16-06 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-16-06, 05:42 PM
Banned

Holy Cow!!! It's playing at the earliest at 10 on the Imax in San Francisco (10 minute walk from work) but I live in the East Bay and this showing lets out just in time for me to watch the last BART slither from the city. AC transit doesn't go remotely near my house so I could probably make it home by 3 am, catch 2 hours sleep and start all over.

Fuckin' BART. I guess I'm seeing the Imax at 7:10 tomorrow if they're not sold out by 4:15 tonight.

(and here I thought I was a true fan. )
Old 03-16-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The only bad part about IMAX....no trailers.
Old 03-16-06, 10:34 PM

So, anyone know the deal with this bizarre release pattern? I've heard of a midnight screening, but why these 10 pm "special" screenings? I'm really looking forward to seeing this tomorrow afternoon, but this really heavy ad campaign is beginning to wreak of desperation. Posters and billboards are on every corner in downtown Chicago, there are commercials almost every break on television, and I don't even have to start around here about the whole Wachowski/ From the creators of the Matrix garbage. I guess I'm just venting, but really, what is WB trying to prove here in the dead of mid-March?
Old 03-16-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rmick
So, anyone know the deal with this bizarre release pattern? I've heard of a midnight screening, but why these 10 pm "special" screenings?
The reasoning is that theaters, most of the time, will not spend the time to do midnight screenings unless they know that it will sell out. When a theater does a midnight screening (and/or screenings), they have to pay for extra staff on hand. Warner has tried this 10pm special screenings before.

In 2003, The Matrix Reloaded launched at 10pm whereas Terminator 3 launched at 8pm.
Old 03-16-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rmick
So, anyone know the deal with this bizarre release pattern? I've heard of a midnight screening, but why these 10 pm "special" screenings? I'm really looking forward to seeing this tomorrow afternoon, but this really heavy ad campaign is beginning to wreak of desperation. Posters and billboards are on every corner in downtown Chicago, there are commercials almost every break on television, and I don't even have to start around here about the whole Wachowski/ From the creators of the Matrix garbage. I guess I'm just venting, but really, what is WB trying to prove here in the dead of mid-March?
Fri is a holiday which may involve many people going out and getting drunk. Rather than making people choose between alcohol and cinema, why not bump one up a day?

And I just got back from my 10pm showing.
I had no familiarity with the source material.
Old 03-16-06, 11:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just got back from seeing a 10pm screening here in Roanoke, certainly not a big city. Anyway, went alone because the wife has no interest and every other person I know plans not to go see it. There was about 50 people there, in one of the smaller theater rooms.

I had not heard much about the film until recently and got really psyched after seeing the trailer a few times from movietickets.com. I thought it was pretty good, but can see where some critics have said the film gets pulled in too many directions without completing them. However, it leaves some work left for your mind, so it was ok that I didn't learn more in the movie about certain characters/events. One thing I really hoped I'd see was some more of the dramatic/action music from the trailer in the movie. I'll buy it on DVD, and would double dip for a special edition.
Old 03-16-06, 11:45 PM

I just got home from a 10pm screening and thought this was great. I am bias though as I am a big fan of dystopia. The only way I could see someone being disappointed would be if you were expecting the movie to be full of action scenes. Everything else was superb. This will definitely be one of my top five movies of 2006.
Old 03-16-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aye. Movie wasn't bad, wasn't great, it could have been put together a tad better and there seemed to be a little too much exposition in place (no concept of letting the camera tell the story). That said, it is a fairly unique movie and I enjoyed it immensly in parts (and got impatient in others), the story structure seemed a bit off but the overall effect was there. That said, I do recommend seeing it on the big screen. The overall vibe was good, and the world it takes place in is well developed, and there was a good dark tone though it usually avoided being too self-serious... while V was on screen at least.
Old 03-16-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Saw it. Liked it a lot, and it did justice to Alan Moore's work, and made a wise choice in dropping many of the subplots he carried. This might be one of the best comic adaptations I have seen, in that it kept the spirit of the original intact, and even used some of it verbatim at times, yet didn't feel the need to follow it to a T. The acting was top notch, and it was definitely not for the average moviegoer. My only gripe is that the character of V himself seemed rather humanized compared to his comic counterpart; I remember him as being a little more cold and less emotional. But that did add a level to the movie, so I won't gripe. The Wachowskis were definitely all over it, and for some reason I feel like it almost had a Kubrick touch at times. I give it an A- for now, best movie I have seen in 2006 so far, and it is better than both Matrix sequels if that says much.

Now that I have that out of the way, let me say that I do not see this movie being a commercial success. It's a little bit more complex than many care to contemplate, and it is most certainly not an action movie as the previews might lead people to believe. Then again, a movie like this doesn't need a sequel, in fact I think that would hurt it more than anything. One might argue that this not doing well financially hurts the chance of another one like this getting made again, but we don't need movies like this made that often (that's not meant as a cutdown either).
Old 03-17-06, 05:10 AM

i enjoyed the movie a lot..... but i thought had it not been based on comics/novel that it would have been very funny for it to somehow break into the matrix storyline and throw everyone off and be like matrix 0.5 or something....
Old 03-17-06, 07:19 AM

saw this last night. EXCELLENT film. enjoyed every minute of it. I had my doubts about seeing it as it was "from the creators of the matrix", but Im really glad I decided to see it. in fact, i think any "Matrix" ties should be completely removed from trailers, previews, etc because most people I know really dislike (or had no interest in) those films. It should be marketed as soley a movie about a corrupt government, a superhero, and natalie portman (she was PERFECT in this role).

I cant wait to see it again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.